Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone else is having this problem driving your r/t in the winter. yesterday i pull out of the garage and proceed on my way to work. after 10min(of a 40min drive) i realize the temp gauge isn't even close to the quarter hash mark. there wasn't much heat either. i tried putting it under load, turning off the fan and it still didn't come up to even the quarter mark on the gauge. mind you it was and still is hovering around -10 or colder. my garage is at least 5 degrees celcius. so when i came home from work i fabbed up a grill block to try and limit air flow. so my wife takes the car to work last night and when she has to come home she lets it run for a few minutes and heads home. again the car will not build much usable heat while being driven(temp gauge still below the quarter mark). this morning i pull the car out of the garage and let it run for just over 10 min and it was fine. i had to sit at work and do the same thing to get it to warm up. does anyone else have this problem, my 300c awd with the same mods had no such problem. any suggestions??:scratchhead:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right on, that does seem to be the first thing they will hopefully check tomorrow! i'll post their diagnosis as soon as they let me know. it cant come soon enough, the rental(pt cruiser) is in the garage ready for the morning.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
If you have the R/T auto with MDS it will take longer to warm up. I started to manually shift the autostick when it got cold so that the engine would continue firing all 8 cylinders rather than only fire 4. This helped my warm up time considerably.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
i rented a charger with the v6. one morning it was about 30 degrees and I started the car, doveabout 15 miles on the freeway, waiting at a light for a good 5 minutes, and then made it to the company i was going to., the whole time the engine was COLD. I even opened the hood because i couldnt believe the gauge was correct but sure enough, the engine wasnt over heated. it was warm but not normal. I figured the thermostat was stuck open.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to phargophill , i do have the auto with mds and it is on most of the 40min drive. my wife picked up the car today and they said all is fine, they removed and inspected the thermostat and road tested the car. he did comment that there may have been air in the system(fair comment). my wife is driving it to work tonight so i told her to take some pics of the temp gauge when she leaves to come home and comment on the time and outside temp. i think i'll call around and see about a warmer thermostat. it just seems stupid to have to sit idling for 10min+ after work. shouldn't the car gradually build heat as you drive home? it has in every other car that i've owned.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Rosco,
On normal engines without MDS I would agree with you. The situation with the MDS equipped cars is that the cooling system is sized for 8 cylinder cooling. When you only have 4 cylinder's worth of heat to get rid of, you are in colder temperatures, and you are driving at anything over 35 mph, the cooling system can almost overpower the heat created.

I wouldn't put in a warmer thermostat. The stock one is at 200 degrees already and if you have any full load situations or don't change the 'stat back for summer, you may have overheating problems.

I don't idle for extended periods before I drive. I wait until the idle settles down to around 900 rpm and then drive gently. But I do use the autostick to avoid the MDS until the engine is warmed up to operating temperature.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Sound advise to me... and makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update, i went to the dealer today and had the thermostat replaced under warranty. my wife was driving home last night when the check engine light went on, i figured maybe a little low on coolant because the tech told my wife that he visually inspected the t-stat, or maybe it could be a coolant temperature sensor. it turned out to be the t-stat and it was done quickly. nice to have it back to normal temps!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hate to say it, but don't be sure your problems are over.

I had the same issue: wasn't warming up past "10 O'clock" if you know what I mean, then got the check engine light.

Spent a few hours waiting at the dealer, while they replaced the thermostat. Everything looked fine for a few weeks until this morning. Wouldn't warm up on a 20 minute freeway drive, then another check engine light.

I'm getting a little pissed about this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm just hoping it was a defective t-stat, no problems since. your issue sounds pretty much the same as mine and it totally sucks. the engine is not getting up to full operating temp, mine was indicating around 150f after at least 25miles freeway. it was the check engine light that convinced the tech that it was the t-stat. hope your car gets sorted " mac in sd".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts