Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last september (about 4,000 miles ago) i bought and had my mechanic install the borla exhaust for mopar. I dont remember what the part # was but i looked into it pretty thoroughly and made sure it was ok for my car (an auto) and not the six speed. Lately I notice if im crusing along at a pretty high rate of speed (70-80mph or better) and need to come to an abrupt halt, it seems like the car doesnt downshift correctly. it seems like the rpms get stuck at 2000 or so and dont want to drop below that. It's only for a second or two and then it finally gives and drops down to the next gear. anyone else have this problem with the borla exhaust or any of the aftermarket exhausts, or is there something wrong here?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I doubt an exhaust would have anything to do with the transmission, but I'm no mechanic. Lots of people on here are running aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You need to drive it hard for a bit. I suspect TCM adaptives are the cause. Use your autostick for a few days, bring up the rpms in each gear to around 4500 before shifting, and downshift when coming to a stop.

Then go back to normal driving again. See how it goes.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mine does that as well and it did it with the stock exhaust and with the reso delete and now with the solo exhaust and now you notice it because you can hear the exhaust.
Oddly not all the time unless you were just pushing down a bit more on the pedal and had to slow right down.
Mine stayed for longer than a few seconds one time that I had to hit the gas pedal again that one time to knock it off to a normal rev.
Do you notice going around 25 mph that if you let off the gas the car slows down/revs up a touch and won't coast until it settles around 20 mph on side streets.
I'll bring that up next time I'm at the dealer.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine does that as well and it did it with the stock exhaust and with the reso delete and now with the solo exhaust and now you notice it because you can hear the exhaust.
Oddly not all the time unless you were just pushing down a bit more on the pedal and had to slow right down.
Mine stayed for longer than a few seconds one time that I had to hit the gas pedal again that one time to knock it off to a normal rev.
Do you notice going around 25 mph that if you let off the gas the car slows down/revs up a touch and won't coast until it settles around 20 mph on side streets.
I'll bring that up next time I'm at the dealer.

What you said about pushing down a bit more on the pedal and had to slow right down, and then about hitting the gas pedal again to knock it back t a normal rev, Thats exactly whats going on!!!! Could this be caused by the MDS? I dont notice the slows down revs up thing cruising @ 25 though. Does anybody know if i get the predator and shut off the MDS would this stop the problem?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts