Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven’t even had the Challenger a month.
Was stuck behind a truck and had no way to get around or slow down behind it. It was like watching it in slow motion as the pebble bounced out the back of the truck and hit my hood hearing it with “pop”.

Pulled over and sure enough there is a tiny micro chip on the hood as you can see in the photos.

My Challenger is a 2019.

Curious what would a body shop charge to fix that?

And are there any solutions I can diy without destroying or making it worse?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,919 Posts
I would have a body shop fix it since it is in a prominent place. Or, you can try Dr. Color Chip.

·
Registered
3 Posts

First thing I would do on any of my new vehicles is take it and get you front bumper wrapped not only does it protect it from stone chips bugs slide right off :) I did my whole front end and it last 5-7 years . Also your warranty will probably cover this ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
View attachment 977919 View attachment 977919
First thing I would do on any of my new vehicles is take it and get you front bumper wrapped not only does it protect it from stone chips bugs slide right off :) I did my whole front end and it last 5-7 years . Also your warranty will probably cover this ?
Not the factory warranty.
That doesn’t cover paint chips caused by road hazards unfortunately.

What did your wrap cost?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have a body shop fix it since it is in a prominent place. Or, you can try Dr. Color Chip.

Any idea what a body shop would charge?

I thought about getting a touch up pen and using a micro brush to fill in the chip.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Just touch it up and stay within the chip. It's when people go outside the chip that it starts looking like hell.

Note! You will always see it because you will always know it's there, but the casual viewer will never see it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just touch it up and stay within the chip. It's when people go outside the chip that it starts looking like hell.

Note! You will always see it because you will always know it's there, but the casual viewer will never see it.
Yeah it’s maddening, but I knew it was going to happen eventually, just not 25 days in.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,330 Posts

I agree! It's easy to use and actually works pretty well. I just used some on our daily driver, which is white pearl and it matches pretty well for something so easy to do. It also protects the metal from rusting because it covers the nick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine cost $150 just for the front bumper . I’m going to be wrapping the whole car soon. It’s not as expensive as a new paint job even though my paint is pretty much perfect except for the need for a good buff out . Wrapping it protects your paint and like I said a good wrap will protect it from dings, stones , shopping carts , bugs and birds , and it doesn’t scratch, easy to fix if something does happen . And when your ready to sell it In 5-7 years you pull off the wrap and it’s like the day you bought it ! Plus you can do some flat black or satan black like on the hood and turn it into a whole different look ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Opalsuns

I probably have up to a dozen such chips that have appeared on my car in the six thousand miles I have owned it, including one on the leading edge of the roof and a nick in one of my stripes, it is massively annoying but figured trying to touch them up would make it look worse than it already is, maybe I will give Dr Colour Chip a try as suggested in this thread.

Regards

Dereck

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
I have gone with the touch up pen since new (it's an 09) and the car has accumulated paint dings on the front from whatever objects, sides and rear bumper from whatever as well. It is going to happen if it is a daily driver and taking to a body shop every time for tiny nicks will drive you broke! One tip, as with the touch up pen, I also use the clear pen over the HO pen as an adder for shine and sealing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts