Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a few searches and not been able to discern any concrete answer as to how small of a rim size will fit on my 2014 SXT Plus.

What I want to do is replace the heavy 18" rims with 15" rims, and make up the difference with taller sidewalls.

I was able to successfully do this on my 1994 Camaro with a larger offset and taller tires and a little clip of brakes.

Since the brakes on the SXT are fairly small I am wondering how much I can get away with. The charts I have found online deal
with the more powerful Challengers for wheel size changes and I have not found any for the SXT.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Curious as to why.Gas mileage?Think car will be faster?Negligible gains if any and the handling will be terrible.If you must go smaller get some 17s off a 09 or 10 Challenger but my advice is keep what you have.Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious as to why.Gas mileage?Think car will be faster?Negligible gains if any and the handling will be terrible.If you must go smaller get some 17s off a 09 or 10 Challenger but my advice is keep what you have.Good luck with whatever you decide.
I live in Maine so I plan to purchase slightly more narrow snow tires for Winter and have them studded.

I also like to go to the track, any my experience is taller sidewalls (which equate to poor handling), also provide better traction for launching, especially on street nights when many inexperienced drivers drag water up to the line and track crews don't keep thing as clean as they do on race days.

I have P275r15s Mickey Thompsons on the rear of my Camaro and 28x6x15s on the front and drive to the track
and change the rears to 28x12x15 Et Streets. With the Challenger I want to go more upscale and simply have drag radials and skinnies so I can drive to the track, race, and change tires when I get home.

Taller sidewalls also provide a softer ride...

Thank you for asking.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have done a few searches and not been able to discern any concrete answer as to how small of a rim size will fit on my 2014 SXT Plus.

What I want to do is replace the heavy 18" rims with 15" rims, and make up the difference with taller sidewalls.

I was able to successfully do this on my 1994 Camaro with a larger offset and taller tires and a little clip of brakes.

Since the brakes on the SXT are fairly small I am wondering how much I can get away with. The charts I have found online deal
with the more powerful Challengers for wheel size changes and I have not found any for the SXT.

Thanks in advance.
My guess is that the smallest you will be able to use would be 17". I have 17" rims on my 2009 R/T, they are the 2-piston brakes and the rotor's measured right at 8" out from center, which makes them 16" in diameter basically, and i actually still needed spacer/adapters on the front to clear the rotors. I believe the SXT's have single-piston brakes? But im not sure. And im not sure if they are any smaller in diameter, but I'm guessing they arent. If i were you i'd take a front wheel off and measure your rotors. If they are like mine, you'll be stuck with 17's. But maybe they are smaller and you will be able to use 16's. but i doubt it.

But even with 17's, you are able to get a much taller sidewall than the guys running 20's etc. I'll attach a pic, i am running 235/65's, but you could put 255's on there if you wanted to. Most of the comments on my car are about the beefy tires. Anyway, good luck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
My guess is that the smallest you will be able to use would be 17". I have 17" rims on my 2009 R/T, they are the 2-piston brakes and the rotor's measured right at 8" out from center, which makes them 16" in diameter basically, and i actually still needed spacer/adapters on the front to clear the rotors. I believe the SXT's have single-piston brakes? But im not sure. And im not sure if they are any smaller in diameter, but I'm guessing they arent. If i were you i'd take a front wheel off and measure your rotors. If they are like mine, you'll be stuck with 17's. But maybe they are smaller and you will be able to use 16's. but i doubt it.

But even with 17's, you are able to get a much taller sidewall than the guys running 20's etc. I'll attach a pic, i am running 235/65's, but you could put 255's on there if you wanted to. Most of the comments on my car are about the beefy tires. Anyway, good luck.
That photo of the car gives the car a bit of a "Mad Max Interceptor" look to it, looks way cool!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts