Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting the SMS 570 body kit for my 2010 SRT 8. Has anyone had or heard of any negative experiences with this product ? Anyone have any average prices that a body shop will charge for painting , removing the stock parts and installing the new parts ? Just a rough figure from an average shop. Thanks , Rattler

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Welcome to the group

If you add a location to your profile, I am sure someone can chime in from your area. These things can vary all over the country.

Oh and some one is going to beat you on the body kit, as opinions on it are very divided, but don't worry about it, It's your car and if you think it is cool, you should go for it! Are you going for the whole shebang? Just wondering since there are some parts of it I like and others that I don't.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Personally I love the SMS kit, and the only negative thing I'd heard about it is someones hood butterfly valves stopped working, but other than that I haven't heard anything bad.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Don't do it man. SMS stuff is junk. You really want an aero kit that looks like it came from a Toyota Celica? A member here yesterday was complaining that his NUMBERED car was the same as another member that he met. The kit is junk bro. That buttlerfly hood will stop working in about 3 weeks. Don't give a dime to Steve S. He is trying to milk anyone he can like the Foose dirt bag making chinese wheels and selling them for $1200 each.
If you want to do a real upgrade click on this. Real mans car right here.
Hurst Challenger

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Although I heard about the numbering that doesn't really affect his project.

I haven't heard anything about the butterflies stopped working myself. Maybe a cable snapped?

If you do get the hood by all means post details. I'm really curious about this hood and was considering it as a possible modification to my car when I get it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Isn't the SMS hood non-functional? I don't like any "air - to - nowhere" type hoods.
Playing peek-a-boo with the butterfly's is not Challenger caliber in my opinion.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The original challengers had functioning butter fly's.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Isn't the SMS hood non-functional? I don't like any "air - to - nowhere" type hoods.
Playing peek-a-boo with the butterfly's is not Challenger caliber in my opinion.
I'd say it's "semi-functional" as I highly doubt it was flow any more air to the CAI. But in the picture you can see the drivers side is indeed routed above the air box. I can't tell if the passenger side gets routed anywhere.

Per Motortrend...
The valves are even technically functional, as they lead to a hole on the bottom of the hood just above the unboxed open-element filter resting where the stock airbox used to be.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think the rear facia looks to heavy. Other parts are pretty nice, but IMHO over priced.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'd say it's "semi-functional" as I highly doubt it was flow any more air to the CAI. But in the picture you can see the drivers side is indeed routed above the air box. I can't tell if the passenger side gets routed anywhere.

Per Motortrend...

I think the whole cable operated butterfly valve thing is kinda cheap IMO. It looks cheap (especially when you compare it to the price of the SMS package). If they were gonna go that route I'd expect them to use electric motors in each valve (or even one valve and use a linkage to connect the two valves) that use the TPS to determine how much to open the valve. It would probably make the kit cost more but it would be a much cleaner looking setup IMO.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I think the whole cable operated butterfly valve thing is kinda cheap IMO. It looks cheap (especially when you compare it to the price of the SMS package). If they were gonna go that route I'd expect them to use electric motors in each valve (or even one valve and use a linkage to connect the two valves) that use the TPS to determine how much to open the valve. It would probably make the kit cost more but it would be a much cleaner looking setup IMO.
It think it would be more expensive like you said and possibly a little more likely to fail. The motors would probably be more susceptible to water or dirt that was sucked in.

At least with the cable set up the 2 most likely failures would one end or the other of the cable could pop off or the cable itself snaps. That should be a pretty easy and cheap part to replace vs trying to replace the motors. I could be wrong too...I'd really like to see one up close and personal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SMS Kit

Welcome to the group

If you add a location to your profile, I am sure someone can chime in from your area. These things can vary all over the country.

Oh and some one is going to beat you on the body kit, as opinions on it are very divided, but don't worry about it, It's your car and if you think it is cool, you should go for it! Are you going for the whole shebang? Just wondering since there are some parts of it I like and others that I don't.
Thanks for the information , I will submit my profile soon. Im located about 25 miles W of Shreveport , Louisiana in E. Texas. Just purchased a 2010 SRT 8 in Hemi Orange about a week ago. Wanted a 2011 but when I found out that they were not offering Hemi Orange for 2011 I purchased a 10 car. Im one of the 50 year olds who grew up with a older brother who had Cuda's but when I got old enough to buy , Well , You know the story , 150hp & 2 ' long safety bumpers. Been driving 4wd trucks and suv's so this is my first muscle car and I love it. Only drive it on weekends. Anyway , Back to the topic , I wanted to only purchase the Butterfly Hood at first. But after some thought I have decided to purchase the full body kit. I personally only like the hood and the rest of the package doesnt do realy that much for me but Im going to give it a try. There's about a 15 to 20 % savings by purchasing the whole body kit vs piece by piece. I will add the hood first then slowly add the other parts. Ive never liked any add ons , always liked what the engineersw at the motor companys came up with but this Butterfly Hood has caught my eye. The full body kit may also help with selling it in two or three years if Dodge comes out with something more spectacular. And with the muscle car war being back on you can bet somethings in the works over 500hp like the new 426 engine installed in a Challenger. But I have read that Fiat wants these cars to look more Euro and dump the domestic muscle car look. I hope they stay away from that. Sorry about all of the writings , I will get the format down soon and will keep everyone informed on the progress of the SMS 570 Full Body Kit installation. Cheers , Rattler

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I like the front fascia and kinda the hood. They can keep the rest. I almost replaced the front with the sms front when I had a little mishap with my front spoiler, but decided to keep the stock look. Good luck with it, and keep us updated for sure. Curious how its gonna look in hemi orange.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Thanks for the information , I will submit my profile soon. Im located about 25 miles W of Shreveport , Louisiana in E. Texas. Just purchased a 2010 SRT 8 in Hemi Orange about a week ago. Wanted a 2011 but when I found out that they were not offering Hemi Orange for 2011 I purchased a 10 car. Im one of the 50 year olds who grew up with a older brother who had Cuda's but when I got old enough to buy , Well , You know the story , 150hp & 2 ' long safety bumpers. Been driving 4wd trucks and suv's so this is my first muscle car and I love it. Only drive it on weekends. Anyway , Back to the topic , I wanted to only purchase the Butterfly Hood at first. But after some thought I have decided to purchase the full body kit. I personally only like the hood and the rest of the package doesnt do realy that much for me but Im going to give it a try. There's about a 15 to 20 % savings by purchasing the whole body kit vs piece by piece. I will add the hood first then slowly add the other parts. Ive never liked any add ons , always liked what the engineersw at the motor companys came up with but this Butterfly Hood has caught my eye. The full body kit may also help with selling it in two or three years if Dodge comes out with something more spectacular. And with the muscle car war being back on you can bet somethings in the works over 500hp like the new 426 engine installed in a Challenger. But I have read that Fiat wants these cars to look more Euro and dump the domestic muscle car look. I hope they stay away from that. Sorry about all of the writings , I will get the format down soon and will keep everyone informed on the progress of the SMS 570 Full Body Kit installation. Cheers , Rattler

Keep us informed as you go. I'm especially interested in details on how the butterfly linkage connects and if it's a stright "bolt on" or if drilling or other modfication is required.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found a you tube video showing a SMS 570's red butterflies opening up while feeding a supercharger. Noticed on the above green Challenger that its closing down over the filter on the cold air intake without a gasket or seal ? Looks like the filter is just sitting under the opening ? SMS says that some type of seal is available like the ones that come with the Cervini's shaker hood / cold air intakes. I guess that if its raining one dare not punch it enough to open the butterflies ? This is my first induction system and have never been around one .I dont want water going into my intakes ! As far as quality I have noticed one thing on SMS red butterflies at the dealer. Ones that have been on the lot for about a year looks like the red coloring of the butterflies is fading a bit. But that can be repaired better than the original. Today I purchased the OEM Challenger car cover and it is a high quality product. It's nice. But they have made a science out of packing it in the smallest box possible. I almost had to cut the box from around the cover it was packed so tight. Thanks for the comments , Nice group here. Rattler

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
With the SMS hood any water that makes it in should be very minimal. Since they're side mounted they won't have a ram air effect even on a sealed CAI. Their purpose is looks but they most likely draw fresh cool air into the engine bay or let heat exhaust out.

The only concern with water that I can see is since those side scoops sink down into the hood and they could probably pool up water after washing, sitting in the rain, etc. If you didn't clear the water out they may drain onto the air box. That and if the water does pool up for a while I could see rusting being an issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have not looked into the SMS body kit, but i did look into the hood, everything is made upon order and for the price SMS should have no problems fixing or replacing any issues with their product. The hood retailed for $1600...with price better come quality or at least great costomer service

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I bought the hood and nose kit from SMS last winter. Dealing with SMS was a nightmare. They told me 3 weeks to get the parts and it was more than 6. Components were missing, no instructions for the nose and they did not tell me you have to cut up your stock nose to make some of the parts to mount their nose. I tried to escalate several times and even reached the plant manager with only limited success and a bunch of unfulfilled promises.

The hood butterflies are cable operated and troublesome. If the main butterfly shaft has the slightest bind, the butterflies will stick. A real PITA.

The hood required about 8 hours of work to repair a broken corner and scrape off all of the shipping foam they splattered on the hood. The old nose is junk afterwards and you cannot go back to stock without buying the whole nose assembly new for $800+ from a dealer.

Several of the predrilled holes in the nose did not line up on my car and had to be redrilled. Gluing the parts I cut from the old nose to the new nose was also a 8 hour ordeal to fit clamp and glue, all without any instructions from SMS.

They never replied to several of my questions and I finally had to resort to driving by their facility in California to figure out how they mounted the nose because they could not provide me with any pictures or instructions. Looking at a finished car will only tell you half of what it takes, the hard part is hidden behind the fascia.

I get lots of compliments on the new look. I customized the nose to provide openings for brake duct cooling fans and a 4" ram air intake. I also have an engine oil cooler mounted behind the lower center opening.

Unfortunately there are not many other nose options for the Challenger. If I had to do it all over again, I would have ordered the parts 2 months earlier and planned on it taking 10X as long to install as I originally planned.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SMS Full Body Kit

I wish that I had read your experience before I pushed "commit to purchase" about two hours ago. I started off only wanting the hood , I dont realy like the other body parts but went ahead and got them anyway. It may aid in selling the car in a couple of years , or it may ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. . I plan on doing the hood first then after a bit I may add the others. Or the others may end up on ebay discounted. Cosmetics is a personal taste but for me , It would be hard to make any cosmetic changes to the front and back of the Challenger that would improve its appearance. I have to give the Dodge engineers a pat on the back for those designs. The front of the SMS is starting to grow on me a bit but I cant make the rear work with those round pipes. The triangular sort of tips on the 570x makes a big improvement for my taste and if I install the back , I must find a custom shop or machine shop somewhere to make me a pair of those. My order is going in this morning so you guys will get a 2011 update on the SMS full body kit from order to installation. So far SMS has answered every question promptly. Now thats "pre" payment , now , Im at "post". I added the chrome T shifter , It looks great but takes a bit to get comfortable with. The feel of the stock shifter for the automatic tranny feels great. Also installed the cold air intake. I have something going on right now concerning one of the GoodYear F-1's . After it's settled I will inform about it also. Let me warn all if possible to never damage one of those Alcoa SRT 8 aulluminium rims. Unless you have a close friend or relative in high places with Alcoa or Dodge , Be ready to pay $1060.00 plus tax for one of those babies. I was thinking maybe $500.00 each , I was less than half correct. So far Im liking this car more and more everyday. It is much more of a car than my brothers 1973 Cuda'. The only thing that I wish Dodge would have done was to also make the passengers seat 8 way power seats too. For $42K it would seem to me that they should have. If I could do the sale over again I would get the 5.7 R/T and save about $10K. Im thinking about a super charger but with it voiding a one month old cars warranty plus the best extended warranty ,,,,,,,,,,, ? I have never had any major engine failures on any vehicle that I have ever owned while under warranty but with my luck , If I added a sc , this car would suffer a broken crank while turning 4K R's . Be back later , Rattler

1 - 20 of 50 Posts