Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather question

New to this forum and first post. I am planning on buying my first 2018 Challenger V8 probable RT and live in Columbus OH. Question is, how does everyone do in the winter with the rear wheel drive? Thinking of keeping my current front wheel drive sedan junker just for that purpose. Or does driving in snow/ice not that bad with Challenger?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New to this forum. I am planning on buying my first 2018 Challenger V8 probable R/T and live in Columbus OH. Question is, how does everyone do in the winter with the rear wheel drive? Thinking of keeping my current front wheel drive sedan junker just for that purpose. Or does driving in snow/ice not that bad with Challenger?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
I live in Denver which it snowed a bit today and it was freezing all day as well. I just swapped my Scat Pack's stock tires for the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06s last year. It gave me some pretty good grasps on the cold and icy roads. I guess it's just a case of just drive carefully and take it easy. My Scat Pack's no garage queen, mind you and it's my daily driving car.

Be mindful of where the stop intersections that have "dips" in the roads that make it difficult for the RWD cars to move from the stop position in the snow/icy conditions. Avoid them as much as you can. I remembered I had to get out and helped this poor Camaro driver to pushed his Camaro out of that dip two years ago. Took 4 of us to pushed it out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks this is helpful. You definitely get more snow and ice than I do. Plan on making it my daily car as well

·
Registered
432 Posts
I live in Denver which it snowed a bit today and it was freezing all day as well. I just swapped my Scat Pack's stock tires for the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06s last year..
I'm running 275/40/20 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 on all 4s. I drove 500 miles is the last 3 days on snow/ice without any issue. I may be cheating a bit since I have an AWD Challenger but I've been running 285/35/19 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 on my 2014 Chevy SS Sedan (6.2L LS3 V8) for over 60K miles without any issues in the snow/ice.
I also ran Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 on my 2013 Mustang GT and had no issues in the snow/ice.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
I'm running 275/40/20 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 on all 4s. I drove 500 miles is the last 3 days on snow/ice without any issue. I may be cheating a bit since I have an AWD Challenger but I've been running 285/35/19 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 on my 2014 Chevy SS Sedan (6.2L LS3 V8) for over 60K miles without any issues in the snow/ice.
I also ran Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 on my 2013 Mustang GT and had no issues in the snow/ice.

Gee, Continental must love you! :grin2:

Yeah, their tires are great!

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,000 Posts
Good snow tires and you should be good to go. You still might want to keeper the beater for the days when you have to worry about other drivers in the weather.

·
Registered
588 Posts
New to this forum and first post. I am planning on buying my first 2018 Challenger V8 probable RT and live in Columbus OH. Question is, how does everyone do in the winter with the rear wheel drive? Thinking of keeping my current front wheel drive sedan junker just for that purpose. Or does driving in snow/ice not that bad with Challenger?
Thanks in advance!
Just wondering but why are you buying it now since winter is here? You have a winter beater so just use that until spring time comes.

I drive mine through the winter since I don't have a winter beater not too mention, I want to drive my car all year round. With that said, I use 18" wheels with 235/60 Michelin X-Ice tires for the winter months then switch over to my stock 20s around spring time. With proper tires and all the electronic nannies on these cars, they do pretty well in snow.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
If your car came with the Pirellis then you'll definitely want to either drive your beater or get new tires. I drove in less than an inch of snow and I was all over the place every time I had to hit the gas.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will probable wait until spring but thinking ahead for coming years. Looks like I should be good with above mentioned tires and use my current front wheel drive car for real bad conditions. Realistically i would think be maybe 4 weeks total all year.
Appreciate all advice!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Keep the junker. Not because your challenger can't be driven in winter but if you don't have to expose it to winter....don't. Your car will thank you for that. The underside of my car still looks pristine. The collar matches the cuffs! Maybe it's just me but driving a performance car in the snow and ice loses some appeal in my opinion.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,000 Posts
I can't think of a better time to buy a new Challenger then the last week of December. These cars are not in demand in the winter, dealers have end of month quotas as well as end of year. This is the time to buy a challenger, you should be able to make a great deal on a left over 2017!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks in advance!

I’ve been driving high performance vehicles for 34 yrs, in Wisconsin which gets harsher winters than Ohio. Everything I ever owned was RWD except for 1 Saab and a cts coupe Awd(had it for 2yrs). I even drove highly modded corvettes year round including my 580hp c6 corvette.

If you daily drive it in winter, just get a second set of wheels and snow tires and you will get through just about anything winter can throw at you.

My challenger scat has absolutely no issues at all on 18” wheels and snow tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Ford POS that is my winter car.... not that i cant drive my T/A 392 in the winter. but Upstate NY loves to throw salt on the roads... and LOTS of it.. that turns to "chips" in the paint from the new salt on the road, to the totally white cars from the salt residue. Its hard to actually wash a car in the winter without going thru a car wash, and that's not happening..

Keep the beater, pull the car out on nice days when the roads are dry..

And this is probably the best time to buy a car. many cars on the lot, and not may of these kind of cars move in the North and North east till about Mid March..

What ever you do! drive safe, the Challenger in the snow and ice can definitely be interesting...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I drive mine year round with all seasons on it. I just don't drive it in the slop. Roads white with salt don't bother me when it's dry. I just rinse it off now and then at the drive thru car wash.

Humanity some how managed to survive 60 yrs or so where RWD was the predominate form of transportation. The Challenger is a heavy car compared to many. Just get some snow tires if you're gonna drive in the slop and avoid tailgaters and don't be one.

I usually take the less traveled roads when possible as I hate the speeders/tailgaters that gotta ride your a$$ even when you're going 5 MPH over the speed limit, or they gotta pull up a foot from your bumper or inch up to you as close as they can at stop lights while they're on their phone. I'll even pull off and let them by on occasion if it's really ridiculous how close they are following.

it does put a smile on my face though when I leave for work and it's -5 deg. I get on the highway and take off while watching the cloud of twin vortices from the exhaust in the rearview mirror.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Buy 4 snow tires and mount them on steel or somebody's take off rims. Use them in the snowy months and you will be fine. I wouldn't trust all-season tires in any snow more than an inch or two. Sure, it can be done, but the car will drive so much better with snow tires. I wasn't afraid to take my '09 R/T with its snow tires on any snow-covered road.

Reactions: jbitter

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do they make the 2017 with the red calipers? Those pretty sharp on the 2018

·
Registered
15,052 Posts
Do they make the 2017 with the red calipers? Those pretty sharp on the 2018
Only the SRT had red calipers before, 2018 is the first year for the red Brembos option on other models.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts