Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had lunch with an old friend. One of his first rides was a built Chevelle SS396. We are both at an age where life is seeming short and we are losing friends (50's) and relatives. We both made a bucket list decision a couple of years ago. I bought my Jazz Blue SRT392 Challenger and he bought a Jazz Blue Scat Pack Charger.

So, the other day he changed his profile pic on Facebook to a Hellcat emblem on a maroon background. I had to ask and he told me that the harsh suspension in the Scat had been killing his back so he decided to upgrade and got a deal on an Octane Red Hellcat and couldn't pass it up. His first hand experience validated mine test driving the Challenger Scat Pack and the SRT 392. The adjustable ride in the SRT gives you a softer ride on the street setting than you get with the Scat.

While we talked and checked out each others rides he told me he plans to drive his Hellcat as much as he can through the MA winter. He did make sure he got the all season Pirelli's not the summer version I have on my car. By the way, it was cold yesterday and that definitely confirmed that the summer Pirelli's lose traction in the cold. I could spin them with relative ease and had to be careful pulling out at intersections. I reminded him that he has a 45 minute commute and that weather is VERY unpredictable. I also told him that a number of owners on here have bought aftermarket Hellcat rims off ebay and from other places for about $250/rim (not the $700 the dealers told me mine would cost me) and that reports were positive, although they may be a bit heavier. He agreed that for winter he didn't care.

So, if anyone can confirm that the ebay Hellcat rims are okay and suggest a seller I'll pass it on. Also, if anyone has run snows on a Hellcat or SRT and has an opinion on a snow tire for my crazy ass friend, I'll pass that on too!

Thanks! Bob

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Contact Factory Reproductions on here. I think you can get a set for $800 + ship.

As for tires, Blizzaks are king in my book for a dedicated winter tire.

They make a direct swap 275/40/20 as the factory size.

Many will say go more narrow in the summer, so you could go 245/45 as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
for the stock 275/40 20 size - here's what I ran across: winter / snow tires

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-spec

Pirelli Sottozero Serie II

Yokohama Blueearth Winter V905

Blizzak DMV2

Michelin X-Ice Xi2

These run from low $200s to almost $400 per tire

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Cool!

Make sure he knows how to put it in Eco mode. The throttle is a lot less touchy.

I plan to run my Scat Pack every day this winter on the factory all-seasons now that I have a Taser. The Taser gives me the drive modes of an SRT including ECO.
Eco makes the car feel like a "normal" car, lol

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Probably for winter driving - I'd run a 'Cat in Valet mode - 2nd gear start, reduced overall output and the like.

If you need to drive on snow tires - you certainly won't be using all that power. The 'Cat develops ~ 400 ft.lb of torque @ 1,900 rpm - you can bet there'd be some tire spin and ESP going nuts.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Another vote for Blizzaks. I run them on my Lincoln TC in the Winter months, and swear by them, not at them.

I don't drive my Challenger in the snow. Not worried about how the car could handle it, just how others drive around here. Snow brings out the dumb ass attacks on a regular basis

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Another vote for Blizzaks. I run them on my Lincoln TC in the Winter months, and swear by them, not at them.

I don't drive my Challenger in the snow. Not worried about how the car could handle it, just how others drive around here. Snow brings out the dumb ass attacks on a regular basis
John - you should see how it is in Portland, OR...1" of snow and its mayhem...

Last year, watching:

>Pickup trucks, rear tires spinning on a slight rise on the streets, blocking traffic

>Prius drivers on downtown streets, unable to move from a stop

If there's more than 1" of snow, they abandon their cars everywhere.

If they were handing out awards for [email protected]$$ drivers - we've got that one locked down for sure around here.

The get "confused" where they see yellow flashing lights on road maintenance trucks and warning signs

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,576 Posts
John - you should see how it is in Portland, OR...1" of snow and its mayhem...

Last year, watching:

>Pickup trucks, rear tires spinning on a slight rise on the streets, blocking traffic

>Prius drivers on downtown streets, unable to move from a stop

If there's more than 1" of snow, they abandon their cars everywhere.

If they were handing out awards for [email protected]$$ drivers - we've got that one locked down for sure around here.

The get "confused" where they see yellow flashing lights on road maintenance trucks and warning signs
Sounds like you guys suffer from snow amnesia like Chicago because as soon as the white stuff falls, everyone forgets how to drive. Still a HC in winter....hope he does not sneeze while taking a turn?

·
Super Moderator
13,867 Posts
This has been posted before, but how about this race- 168 mph with a Hellcat on ice with studded snow tires. This says a lot about studded tires and the skill of the driver.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'll buck the trend. Continental WinterContact Si's on my Scat Pack Shaker. Rated higher than Blizzaks and cheaper.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/winter-tire-test-six-top-brands-tested-compared-feature-final-scoring-and-performance-data-page-3

I plan to run my Scat Pack every day this winter on the factory all-seasons now that I have a Taser. The Taser gives me the drive modes of an SRT including ECO.
Eco makes the car feel like a "normal" car, lol
STRONGLY don't recommend this. Get snow tires.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
STRONGLY don't recommend this. Get snow tires.
I hear what you are saying. BUT I?ve been driving 2WD pick-ups on similar width and often worse condition tires in the snow for MANY years. I don?t even bother with weight in the bed anymore.

We just don?t get a lot of snowfall in this area and it is infrequent. Just can?t justify a set of snow tires for the 2 to 5 days a year they would be marginally useful. I used to have dedicated wheels with Blizzacks for my performance cars but they would dry-rot before wearing out.

If it snows more than a couple of inches, I have plenty of vacation days left.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts