Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SXT has 18 tires...somebody told me if I am getting winter rims also to just get 17 tires to save some money...is this o.k. to do for 4 months of driving?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Sure, but you would then have to buy 4 rims and 4 tires. Looks like we are going back to the days 40+ years ago when we had a set of snows on rims and mounted them up for the winter. I'd just buy a pair of each, 18". But really, with today's tread design, do you need snow tires? Maybe, with RWD.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was also told to go for 17's to save some cash... I was told it would affect my odometer a bit but thats it... I was going to stick with all seasons but after a few close calls at stop lights etc I decided I need winters.

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
My car came with 235/55-18" tires and I purchased the Firestone Winterforce tires in 225/60-18" (the only 18" size they carried where I got them) and had them mounted on four wheels I got second hand. If you have a choice, go narrower, rather than wider.

They are only slightly taller than the stock tires but I did not notice any speedometer error. They work great in the snow (drove in more than 8" of unplowed snow last winter).

The best part about those tires was they were less than $100 each although i think they cost just over $100 this year.

I wholeheartedly recommend using actual snow tires if you plan to drive in any accumulation of snow. The difference real snow tires makes (over all-season tires) is amazing.

·
Registered
472 Posts
A larger or smaller rim size will only affect your speedo by a few kms.....I went from 18's to 20's and it caused mine to be out by 4km/h (speedo read 120 when I was actually doing 124 km/h).

Snow tires are worth the money...all season tires freeze up and become like hockey pucks in cold weather. Worth the investment, especially on these cars.

As for buying new rims and tires...I think that would depend on how durable the rims on the car are (if they can stand up to salt)....if they can handle it, just buy 18's.....rim/tire sets can get pricey.

Sigh....I guess "The Beastie" gets put away this week.....

·
Registered
714 Posts
I was also told to go for 17's to save some cash... I was told it would affect my odometer a bit but thats it... I was going to stick with all seasons but after a few close calls at stop lights etc I decided I need winters.
it isn't going to affect your odometer to any realistic point, 17 inch wheels are much cheaper, SE stock is 17 inch anyway

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
I dabbled with this idea last winter. Just make sure that the 17's will fit your calipers. I have an SRT8 and had the 17" steelies all ready to go with the tires mounted. Well, they didn't even fit over the Brembos! Kind of a dumb mistake on my part, but I'm not sure if you SE and R/T guys would have a similar problem. I priced out 18" police package steelies w/ tires and they were along the lines of $500 more. At that point I just threw my arms up and bought a winter sh*tbox.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts