Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the "Clickbait" Cliffhanger that lead you in to reading this.

Yeah, we all pay good, hard earned money for our toys, $25-$70 thousand and we end up getting little, cheap, plastic valve stem caps on the tires. SMH...

Question to the wise: Can our Challengers with tire pressure sensors accommodate ANY type of tire valve stem cap? I was told years back that you couldn't use any type of metal caps on tires with these sensors.

Anyone know if any company makes quality caps? That is, with a relative logo, of course.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I have purple metal caps on mine, no issues.
I have Red metal caps on the wifes Mazda CX5, no issues.

I have heard that before also about the metal caps, but I think it depends how sensitive the sensor is.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,777 Posts
I think the concern is differing types of metal seizing to each other. I have brass stems, put some brass caps on. Be aware, the plastic caps have a big "shoulder" that covers the brass threads on the stems, if you get short caps, you'll have brass showing (this from a guy that had to paint the exposed area, lol). A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
Some metal caps can corrode. This usually occurs because of a chemical reaction involving salt and calcium. That's why, our cars come with rubber caps. That being said, you can buy metal caps that have plastic or nickel coated threads to prevent this problem.

I bought a set of chrome SRT logo metal caps that I only use for car shows. For daily driving, I use the OEM rubber caps.

The early SRTs also have high-pressure metal clamp-in valves instead of rubber ones. These valves are designed for all track activities, as well as vehicle speeds exceeding 130 mph.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
have these my Challenger 12000 miles still look new, they are well ,,not plastic

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,343 Posts
It's called galvanic corrosion, dissimilar metals attack each other. Put a brass kick plate on the steel front door of your house and the door will perforate right through. Look at you steel bolts holding your aluminum alteratircon place, many times they fuse together.

·
Premium Member
9,343 Posts
have these my Challenger 12000 miles still look new, they are well ,,not plastic
Will a magnet sick to that? Only ferrous metals stick to one or then it may be aluminum but more likely chromed plastic but may be wrong. I put chrome plastic on my daughters car and you can't tell.

·
Premium Member
9,343 Posts
Interestingly my 2016 Jeep Wrangler has tpms on it and has rubber stems on it. All my other cars with tpms have metal stems.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Will a magnet sick to that? Only ferrous metals stick to one or then it may be aluminum but more likely chromed plastic but may be wrong. I put chrome plastic on my daughters car and you can't tell.
They are not plastic chrome ,more like a billet material,but no plastic chrome they also
have some weight to them .

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Thanks for the reply, if they are billet then they are aluminum. Do you have a link for them?
Esty.com / Dodge Challenger,,, they have a very big site
Look for the exact item but could not fine it .
They also send you and extra one , it was around $ 18.00 for the 5

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,777 Posts
Thanks for the reply, if they are billet then they are aluminum. Do you have a link for them?
Esty.com / Dodge Challenger,,, they have a very big site
Look for the exact item but could not fine it .
They also send you and extra one , it was around $ 18.00 for the 5
I find the picture of them, or very similar, but when go to page it says"Sorry this item is no longer available". What color did you want Yellow Jacket 2012?

Clipboard01.jpg

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,777 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have these on my Scat Pack:

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts