Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've heard numerous things, the main bothering one being that our engines actually monitor\analyze the oil and how we drive, and alert based on that, however I'm almost 100% our oil change indicator is set by specific miles, just like my prior Toyota, however my light again came on today after I guess 2500 miles since my last oil change which was a month or two ago?

Says contact dealer, oil change required, I just want to know if anyone has PROOF that our system actually "analyzes your driving habits to determine when you need a oil change" as this is twice it's told me to throw out the synthetic at around 2,000,2,500 miles which is ridiculous

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
The oil change light is not set by specific miles. The oil change indicator illuminates dependent upon mileage and driving conditions. The Challenger is smarter than your Toyota.

·
Premium Member
2016 Challenger Hellcat, Plum Crazy Purple, A8 (Grape Ape)
3,601 Posts
The oil change light is not set by specific miles. The oil change indicator illuminates dependent upon mileage and driving conditions. The Challenger is smarter than your Toyota.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I only have 10,000 on my car and had the light come on only once @ around 8200 miles. I have changed the oil though due to my modifications with synthetic 4 times.

·
Super Moderator
15,971 Posts
My '09 R/T 5.7 has been fairly consistent with oil changes ~ 5,500 to 5,550 miles.

Much of my driving is around town with 30% highway and with the functional hood scoop inserts that I installed - it has kept the oil temp lower (203-210*F and up to 221*F in slow traffic on hot days).

Mine gets driven regularly (no long periods of storage), and gets run at normal operating temperatures each time I drive.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So I have to replace synthetic oil every 2.5k miles when my manual calls for 6k? I guess my Toyota was built to actually run correctly...this is twice it has done this, around the same miles. I'm sorry but can someone explain why in the heck my Challenger would be telling me to replace FULL SYNTHETIC at 2-2.5k, NO car should ever go through synthetic that quickly, and the manual says the car doesn't. So basically now it's 2.5k miles nowhere near 6k, and I'm supposed to trust the computer and take it to the dealer?

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I only have 10,000 on my car and had the light come on only once @ around 8200 miles. I have changed the oil though due to my modifications with synthetic 4 times.
Roscoe, Did you reset the computer on your car after changing the oil?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Change your oil based on how it looks not by what some program created to monitor driving habits.

To its defense the times it came on with my previous SRT8 it was just about to the point it needed changing, betweem 2500-3000 miles

IMHO

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
The car cannot tell it is "synthetic oil" sitting in the pan. It's just "oil".

Put in the most simple sense, it can only assess your driving habits as far as the duty cycle you put on the engine with the throttle. If you are hard on the engine, and frequently so, the oil mileage counter is going to tick away, period. Probably synthetic oil does have more miles left in it, despite what the oil meter says, but it has no way to know if it is synthetic oil vs. dino oil. It's just "oil" to the engine computer. If you think you know better than it, then by all means, exercise your own schedule.

Personally, I've never seen the oil change light come on in my car before the standard 6k/6 mos interval, but I'm almost certain I am far easier on my car than others here. I open it up once in a while, but no where near hard on the gas then hard on the brake every 50 ft. There's no way I could get away with that w/o getting inevitable police lights, anyway.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I wonder if the lower 180 t-stat temperatures are having an effect on oil change life. I too share the same 2500-3000 change interval as a daily driver.

·
Registered
464 Posts
One of the big problems with oil is not getting the engine hot enough for long enough periods of time. 30 minutes of freeway travel is great for vaporizing alot of the contaminates out of the oil, meaning that it will last alot longer. If you drive 10 minutes to work thru town, then back home everyday, plan on 3,000 mile oil change plan. If you can get the 30 minute freeway thing going each way you will notice the oil staying clearer for alot longer amount of time.

I used to change the oil every 3K miles but noticed the oil looking very clean as it drained out. Cut a few filters apart to see if any particulates stuck inside-none. So I am now doing a 4,500 mile service instead. oil is still clean but not as clear. I do not use synthetic, just Castrol 5w-20 and a Purolator filter.
I do see alot of cars come thru our shop and do a fair amount of oil changes. Seems that every engine design abuses oil in a different way. 07 Corvette came in yesterday and the Mobil 1 oil had 4k miles on it and it looked like diesel engine oil.

If my change oil indicator comes on and it's close to the change time I ignore it untill I change in a few days, if longer I just hit the gas pedal 3 times and look at my maintance log every once in a while. I hate that stupid little sticker in my window. Besides who doesn't need a little one on one time with their Challenger? Spend it going over that info in the glove box, you are keeping records of all maintance items right?

·
Registered
161 Posts
My wife drives our Challenger the most, she works exactly one mile from our house. Our change oil light comes on routinely at 2.5 thousand. I always change oil at 3,000. I just re-set the alarm and wait until the three thousand miles. That start and stop is hard on engines so I don't doubt that it could use an oil change sooner but I am not going to do it. I agree that a visual inspection of the oil is a good idea.
Last summer my brother was in intensive care for five weeks and I took the Challenger to see him every day. Twenty miles each way. At the end of 3 thousand miles, the check oil light had not come on. I do think the computer takes into account the stop/start cycles.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife drives our Challenger the most, she works exactly one mile from our house. Our change oil light comes on routinely at 2.5 thousand. I always change oil at 3,000. I just re-set the alarm and wait until the three thousand miles. That start and stop is hard on engines so I don't doubt that it could use an oil change sooner but I am not going to do it. I agree that a visual inspection of the oil is a good idea.
Last summer my brother was in intensive care for five weeks and I took the Challenger to see him every day. Twenty miles each way. At the end of 3 thousand miles, the check oil light had not come on. I do think the computer takes into account the stop/start cycles.
See that's what I'm saying, a LOT of people here have thiers come on at exactly 2.5k, some people have marked it each time, that's why when this light comes on and I'm being told it monitors and I should, I'm worried, but the computer not knowing I have synthetic in makes sense...but in the SRT-8 synthetic is standard, but I guess they take into consideration some people might run dino oil so they set it low, I dunno

Either way changing out full synthetic mobile 1 3.5k before the manual suggests seems quite silly...so do you guys think I should, or should not do it? It's expensive to change it out this much...

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
Nearing 45000 kms on mine and change oil every 5000. I'm in the middle of it's 3rd winter and I have yet to see the oil change light come on.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Rpaul,

What makes you think the suggestion in the manual isn't any more than a 1 size fits all estimation of when to change the oil? The guidance in the user manual cannot take into account your duty cycle, at all. It's just a safe estimate. If the engine computer, that does take into account your duty cycle, says you should be on the low end of oil lifespan, then I wouldn't entirely disregard it, either. If you feel synthetic buys you x number more miles, then that is a choice you have to make for yourself...follow the computer guidance or maybe adapt a middle ground value to change it out, per the extended synthetic lifespan (say, 4500 mi).

·
Registered
568 Posts
Buy an oil test kit and submit the oil for analysis the way the over-the-road trucks do. That will tell you if your oil needs to be changed and will give advance notice of any internal wear issues. There will be no guessing involved.

The oil change light in my SRT8 came on at 5500 miles (95% highway miles with average 4 hours per run). I thought that was stupid given that the factory put synthetic oil in the engine, but I did change it out with RedLine 0-40 (about $70 worth). That's why I got the test kit and will send it in at 6000 miles.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Mine came on the first time at 2k miles, at 6500 miles, i still haven't seen it come on a second, I would hope that it could go 5k to 7k between oil changes. I usually change oil twice a year, but i haven't driven this one as much as i drove the previous cars in its first year.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Rpaul,

What makes you think the suggestion in the manual isn't any more than a 1 size fits all estimation of when to change the oil? The guidance in the user manual cannot take into account your duty cycle, at all. It's just a safe estimate. If the engine computer, that does take into account your duty cycle, says you should be on the low end of oil lifespan, then I wouldn't entirely disregard it, either. If you feel synthetic buys you x number more miles, then that is a choice you have to make for yourself...follow the computer guidance or maybe adapt a middle ground value to change it out, per the extended synthetic lifespan (say, 4500 mi).
The manual is created by the people who made the car...I'd assume the manual had a clue what it was talking about, and I'd assume they would know the proper intervals for oil changes...warranty revolves around that booklet so I'd assume it's pretty correct. I should also say that Synth-Blend = 2.5k-3k in the SRT, according to dealership, and Full Syth = 6k easily, so what's up with my daily driven computer telling me once again, at not even a half point, change the oil? I'd personally rather trust the manual over the random computer light that pops up and tells me to feed the Dealer more money, sooner than they told me to even, but the only reason I am worried as people claim this thing monitors driving and can actually give a PROPER judgment on when to change, and I am NOT getting that.

This is just sounding insane to me, the manual and car RECOMMENDS 0w40 FULL synthetic, which is not a cheap oil, and says change out every 6k, light comes on 2.5k, if the Hemi engine can only go 2-3k without an oil change, than I'm sorry but that is an absolute failure in engineering, as it doesn't even remotely account to the manual at all, or any other comparable car Dodge or Chevy or Ford makes, and this is the FIRST car I know that can't go 5-6k on full synth, Mustangs can go friggin 10k on synthetic, getting a fraction of that is "ok"?

Or is it for sure that it just defaults to thinking a cheaper, lower grade DINO oil is in the engine? Reason I'm annoyed about this as it's stupid to have a car that you can't even correctly plan oil changes, manual and dealership says 6k, car decides to tell me half of that...

Sure as hell ain't no way I'm following this b.s. computer's oil intervalls, I'm sorry but 2.5k and changing out synthetic oil is an absolute waste and if anything makes me look like an ass just in that regard, it's wasteful as it this computers "tracking",
this has me very bothered as I know there is no way our engines are designed so horrifically bad that it's really rendering synthetic useless 3x faster than other comparable motors, I guess I'll just call the dealer and ask them, and i'm resetting this light and putting a trip b meter to it, if at 2500 this crap comes on again, ugh, be nice to have a WORKING OIL CHANGE LIGHT or one that we could actually LEARN from Dodge how sophisticated this system really is, as unless someone can logically explain why my car would TWICE claim full synth needs to be changed out @ 2.5k I'd appreciate it...car is far past break in...I think I got my oil changed last time at 8300, and just yesterday it hit 11,000

Whew, what a rant, sorry but I like to take care of my baby, but the ideology behind 2.5k full synth oil changes would me turning my back on Dodge in a heart beat, I just wish this car had a system that I could follow, I never even followed the Toyota as I had synthetic and could go 8-10k in that engine and even after changing the oil out it was still "fine" for longer.

If we could simply figure out
If the system can tell what type of oil you have, I'm still unsure of this as the SRT comes standard and recommended with 0w-40 Mobile 1, so you would think they would account that into the EVIC but maybe it follows standard 2.5-3k as those are the generic "dealer intervals" to get money from people.

Or 08s actually have a set and 09's don't...

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I understand your frustration on the matter (I'd like to extend oil change of the synthetic sitting in my engine to at least 12 mos, as long as the oil light doesn't come on, but every 6 mos for a paltry mileage is what I'm looking at based on the owner's manual, if I know what's good for me), but it is always your choice to observe the generic intervals (ignore the computer) or take into consideration what the computer is telling you. The computer has no idea what kind of oil is sitting in the pan. At best, it can only serve as an indicator of if you are a "hard driver" or "easy driver" on the car. If it's consistently telling you to change at 2.5k mi, then I'd gather it thinks you are a hard driver. Your oil should be changed on a conservative interval. You are then the final judge as to what is a reasonable value for a conservative interval, based on the oil that you know is in the engine. I think that is about the most we can advise you on, in this context.

The oil analysis strategy as suggested by a different poster is probably a good approach if you really want to home in on the actual lifespan of synthetic in your engine. The owner's manual gives a reasonable one-size-fits-all interval, the computer further up-rates or down-rates that interval based on your unique duty cycle property, and the engine oil analysis is really the final word on the condition of your oil on a chemical level.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hm...well I was searching around and I found this which was from another forum member...

"YES there is a propietary algorythem(sp?), built into the computer that factures numerious conditions to turn on the change oil light. But it is SET to dyno oil, even on the SRTs, so YOU have to facture the extra mileage/life of synthetics. YES if u change oil/filter BEFORE the nanny light goes on, performing the reset procedure WILL reset the counter, been doing that and at 500(synth change out after dyno break-in), 3k, and 6k and never had the light come on! So if u WANT to run synth longer, just reset the light, track/change by time/mileage as u allways did!"

sounds plausible, but I need to get my rear diff oil changed so when I take it in I'll ask them, even hard driving shouldn't require a change @ 2,500 with as high grade of a synthetic as we are using...that's dino territory, and I'm paying 5x the dino cost.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Both our cars oil change lights have come on every 2500 miles on the nose since we bought them. Doesn't seem like any analysis going on, just preset at 2500 miles regardless of how we drive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts