Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if a thread like this already exists but I was curious to get some input from those drivers lucky enough to have owned the 6.1L and have now moved on to the 392.

Describe as accurately as you can what the difference in driving experience is like between the two cars.

Try to be as un-bias as possible, even though I am sure you guys are all psyched to have your new 392's and probably think the world of them (undertstandably so!)...

Was it worth it in the end upgrading to the bigger engine? Is it REALLY the night & day WORLD shattering difference it's been hyped to be?

What about those of you who owned 6.1L's that were MODDED and putting down lots of extra power? Did Dodge bring enough to the table to really make you appreciate the upgrade?

Anything you guys miss from the 6.1L that was changed in the new car?

The closest i've come to a 392 thus far is sitting in one @ the local dealership and i'm just trying to see what all you guys think of it compared to the out-going model. The one thing I noticed about the new steering wheel is it is missing the bulges at 10 & 2 o' clock that made you LOVE to grip the wheel there! I was kind of disappointed by the skinny new steering wheel actually...

Discuss.

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
There is nothing about my 2009 SRT that I would rather have over the 2011 other than a dedicated iPOD cable for the radio. The upgrades in the current Challenger are very good. I love the keyless entry, the folding driver's seat, elimination of the nose badge, and the other small improvements. I like the steering wheel much better than the previous one, especially the thumb controls on the back of the wheel.

As far as power, yes it is noticeably increased, especially the torque. My 2009 would not exactly throw me back in the seat like the 2011 does. Overall, the new Challenger is that much better than the previous ones.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
The 392 is bad ass. Everything about it is better, it is an amazing car.

I went from 6 speed to auto, so a little hard to judge, but the 392 almost makes you swallow your tongue when you mash the gas.

The steering wheel is better (all the controls on there are great), I like the aluminum bezels, the steering is tighter with more feel, no nose badge, the exhaust is actually pretty awesome for factory, the wheels are better, the drivers seat goes forward easily, garmin is nicer, I could go on but I think you get the picture.

Do not test drive one, it will hurt your checkbook.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'll speak on a comparison between my friend's 6.1 and my 392. I do like the new steering wheel even though I was skeptical at first. There's definitely a HUGE power increase between the two and as Goehner said the exhaust noise is incredible. I have to start my car 3 times a day just to hear it, it's officially my new favorite song lol. The iPod problem does piss me off though, hoping to get it fixed....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow, sounds like as soon as they re-release Plum Crazy Purple I'll be in line to trade in our 6.1 on a 392.
PCP is a sentimental color for us so I don't think I'd get spousal agreement to trade unless for another PCP, although I'd love to have a new GWE 392.

·
Registered
653 Posts
It simply will not connect. Mine has error messages popping up every time I plug it in to the console. I have no idea what to do about it.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I still have my 2009 SRT Challenger, and I can tell you it's a night and day difference between the two cars. Don't get me wrong, the 6.1's are nice cars. Beautiful cars! The new 392 is just more powerful, and handles much, much better. It's an impressive car, and very fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I just got back from a 15 - 20 mile "jaunt" trying to continue the break in period for my 392 Challenger. All I can say is that this car is fantastic. It has torque everywhere: acceleration at low rpm, say from 35 - 40 mph in 5 gear, now feels "urgent". Acceleration, period, definitely feels "big block"-ish. Love it!

After my cruise I popped the hood and just checked things out. What surprised me was how cool the intake manifold was. Everything else was "hot" (even the plastic valve cover, uh, covers). But the intake manifold was cool: almost to the point that it felt cold.

I still don't like how the intake manifold looks (over the 6.1 aluminum piece) but I have to respect its performance.

·
Registered
532 Posts
OMG... How the hell am I gonna handle waiting for mine now after reading these comments.... I am going from an RT to the 392... I suppose I should keep a change of underware in the glove box....LOL

·
Registered
353 Posts
Honestly the car is a different beast! It's much more vivrant and packs a lot more punch. The car feels smaller and responds a lot better. I really like the steering wheel change. The car shifts much better as well. The throws feel shorter. The steering wheel controls are designed a lot better and the Nav and radio have better features. I think it was smart to put a USB port instead of the old connector. It's much more universal that way. The exterior lighting is cool as well. I like the two small lights over the seats. It looks really cool lit up at night when you're walking to it. The audio even sounds better and more crisp. Seems like the speakers are getting more power or something. Can't beat the keyless entry. Just touch under the handles and the car unlocks or push the button and the trunk pops. It's very convenient.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well maybe I'm just jealous, but I like my '09 with with a 426. Yea, that was an upgrade but the cost was well worth it. A 426 is what should be in a Challenger. I dont have any problem in the turns, but there are some pretty inexpensive mods that help. In a nutshell, either one is the best looking car on the street.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm... Knowing me and my impulsiveness, I'd be best to avoid test driving the 392 then! Haha!

Maybe it's just because it's new to me but I'm ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE with my new 6.1L Challenger! I really wouldn't want to spoil that by taking a 392 out around the block.

In my opinion, the 6.1L feels like night and day when compared to my Charger SRT-8's... 10x more fun to drive!

If what you're saying is true about the 6.4L... God help us all!

Maybe down the road (hopefully WAY down the road I will have a look at one to see what I'm missing... But I promised the wife I wouldn't be getting rid of this car anytime soon).

Question: when driving the 6.1L it seems like you REALLY notice how heavy the car is when driving around town... It only feels truly fast when you really GIVE 'ER and usually only in the mid-high RPM range.

Is THAT what's been fixed in the 392? Does it DART forward when you give it even a LITTLE gas???

Other than trading in our cars, what is the best way to at least IMPROVE this sluggishness in the 6.1L??? (without breaking the bank)???

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hmmm... Knowing me and my impulsiveness, I'd be best to avoid test driving the 392 then! Haha!

Maybe it's just because it's new to me but I'm ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE with my new 6.1L Challenger! I really wouldn't want to spoil that by taking a 392 out around the block.

In my opinion, the 6.1L feels like night and day when compared to my Charger SRT-8's... 10x more fun to drive!

If what you're saying is true about the 6.4L... God help us all!

Maybe down the road (hopefully WAY down the road I will have a look at one to see what I'm missing... But I promised the wife I wouldn't be getting rid of this car anytime soon).

Question: when driving the 6.1L it seems like you REALLY notice how heavy the car is when driving around town... It only feels truly fast when you really GIVE 'ER and usually only in the mid-high RPM range.

Is THAT what's been fixed in the 392? Does it DART forward when you give it even a LITTLE gas???

Other than trading in our cars, what is the best way to at least IMPROVE this sluggishness in the 6.1L??? (without breaking the bank)???

Yes it does and it doesn't feel sluggish or heavy at all. The car has been greatly improved.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It's really fun to read about the 392's. Doubtless an improved powerplant and overall platform.

I have a cam, new valve springs and an excellent tune in mine. Way different beast. Would love to try a 392 and see how it compares to a moderately modified 6.1.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm not going to give you what you want, but I upgraded from an R/T. Every aspect of this car is a quantum leap in performance from my 09 Challenger, which I really loved to drive. The 392 IE is improved in every category. I spent about $2k in mods on the old car, and other than appearance mods, I'm not going to change a thing on this car!

·
Banned
407 Posts
OMG... How the hell am I gonna handle waiting for mine now after reading these comments.... I am going from an RT to the 392... I suppose I should keep a change of underware in the glove box....LOL
agreed, all these comments are making the wait very difficult. as far as how are you going to handle going from an RT to a 392...better than me...going from a Blazer (gave to sister) and now a Buick Century to a 392

·
Registered
353 Posts
The 6.1 is awesome!! The 392 is just more refined and the distribution of power through all the gears is more apparent. The car doesn't feel like it falls flat after or before certain RPMS. I wouldn't compare the 6.1 to feeling like a 5.7 when comparing it to a 392. I will say that you get your money's worth making the transition from the 6.1 to the 392.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts