Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering this for awhile, as I've been asked this several times, I know we have a 5-speed mercedes transmission that was used in the AMG lineup but was severely down-graded by Dodge to 427ft/lbs vs the 798 in the real AMG as GSO states, but how reliable over-all is this transmission? I've been worried about the sheer torque these suckers throw onto it, esp when I hammer it or down shift and punch it...just wondering if these are a very durable and reliable performance transmission, or one that ain't gonna last very long

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
You won't have to worry about the transmission for a while..unless you are planning some big mods!

·
Banned
804 Posts
LX Nag1 will get you to 500 rwhp reliably( with a good tune)....after that you will need to look at upgrading the trans.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The Nag1 is a complete rockstar. Yes it has it's limitations. But they safely handle upwards of RW 500hp/500tq nicely. But once you cross that threshold, you do need to spend some money. A Valve body will keep you ok up to another 50 across the board. But be very aware that tuning can kill a transmission in a heartbeat. So in the event you get into the motor, decide carefully on who does the tuning and not just for the tranny's sake.

My 6.1 NA ride makes 470rwhp and 450tq, I have beat the holy living crap out of it for a long time without issue. And I've built more of these things then I can remember that make under 500 NA and are surviving just fine.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Stop fighting, we don't like drama on CT. LOL

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok good to know it can take a pounding, I don't plan to supercharge so I'm def in the clear I guess, just wanted to make sure it could take the beating, my car only has 10k now...but it's 2 years old...should I get a transmission fluid change? Anything better than MOPAR fluid?

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
So with the NAG1 as a $995 option on the SRT8 2011, does this mean they upgraded parts?
I hope they've beefed it up some, but as far as the extra cost, the NAG1 is now an optional trans instead of the manuals being an option.

Jack

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
I've only got 5400 miles on my RT Classic. The tranny has been a gem, and one of the best that I've ever had in a car.

It's handled everything that I've ever put to it, and always just "does its' thing". Smooth shifts, nice gear ratios, and the autostick option works well.

Too early to tell how long it will really last, but with the MB heritage, I feel that it will "take it" well, and for a long time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts