Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if any of you with the 2020 Scat Pack 392 Challengers have noticed any improvements or differences after you did that air intake ram air modification to the driver side signal lamp which involves installing that ram air kit that goes to the airbox?

Car sounds noiser? Better acceleration? Gas mileage? Anything at all?

Was it worth the time, labor and money of installing this ram air kit modification to your 392 Challenger Scat Pack :unsure: ?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Subscribed. Doubtful, but I'm curious.
I have heard less rain can enter thru the Shaker. True? 👂

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,580 Posts
No need to yell ;) (Fixed)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,580 Posts
I'm sorry you are having problems :( Have you tried the Screen Magnifier build into Windows?

A Guy

Reactions: Rob446

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
881 Posts
Just curious if any of you with the 2020 Scat Pack 392 Challengers have noticed any improvements or differences after you did that air intake ram air modification to the driver side signal lamp which involves installing that ram air kit that goes to the airbox?

Car sounds noiser? Better acceleration? Gas mileage? Anything at all?

Was it worth the time, labor and money of installing this ram air kit modification to your 392 Challenger Scat Pack :unsure: ?
Is there something different about the 2020 that makes the question specific to that year?

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Original Scat Pack Challengers had the SRT Style Hoods (Center Bezel, No Heat Extractors).
The 2019+ Scat Pack Challengers now have the SRT Hoods (Center Bezel, Heat Extractors).

I did much better than just the Hellcat Tube alone:
I installed the Hellcat Tube and the Open Top MOPAR CAI that allowed air to be pulled from the Drivers Side Hood Heat Extractor, the Hellcat Tube, and the bottom intake of the Intake Box.
You could hear all the intake noises outside the car, and increased cabin intake noise.
Under full operating conditions, my IAT was 3 degrees above ambient.

Now I have since installed the T/A Intake System. Hood Bezel and Underhood Duct connects to top of air box.
Now that the Drivers Side Hood Extractor is closed off you can't hear the intake noises outside the car.
There is still a huge increase cabin intake noise.
Now the Intake Filter is protected from the exterior elements.
Under full operating conditions, my IAT is 3 degrees above ambient.

I don't have any dyno numbers to back up my claim.... but there is a difference in seat of the pants power.
I don't pay attention to MPG.

Reactions: SilverGhost

·
Super Moderator
16,476 Posts
your thread title is confusing - the Shaker models don't have a "center" scoop nor hood vent extractors.

with a Shaker, you have the flat hood and the Shaker scoop.

On a '19+ Scat Pack they have the '15 - '18 Hellcat hood (center scoop & dual hood extractor vents)

For a Shaker model, the headlight Air Catcher can have the duct done for it.

Mainly what it does is help get the IAT temperatures down faster from where they end up while stopped or in slow traffic.
- have this setup on my '16 Scat Pack Shaker

Its a bit more trimming to make that setup fit onto any '18+ Shaker as they have the lighted inner headlight tubes that come with covers secured with screws (earlier years were an open design with a front snap-in cap) - the length of the inner headlight is deeper, which necessitates trimming the rubber duct

the Hellcat and T/A rigid duct sits near the headlight, but doesn't fit over it like the rubber duct for the Shaker version

Reactions: SilverGhost

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
Here's why I did it to both of my SRT Powered Scat Packs. Did I gain any HP? No idea, I never tested it, however, cooler air is good for a motor. This article explains the engineering behind the design:

"Chris Cowland, Director of SRT Powertrain Engineering, estimates the Air Catcher provides a single-digit horsepower bump to the new Challenger SRT Hellcat’s V8.

“The hole in the headlight was actually put there because we required a certain amount of pressure drop across the intake system to generate 707 hp,” Cowland told AE. “Certainly if we took that away and we increased that pressure drop across the intake system, we would lose horsepower. We’ve never measured it by blocking it off or taking it away, but it could well be seven horsepower.” A second inlet point is located underneath the airbox.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sorry you are having problems :( Have you tried the Screen Magnifier build into Windows?

A Guy
:unsure: No I haven't I will look into it-Thanks(y) Since you are a moderator feel free to change that title line from all caps to whatever is suitable. I don't mean to scare off or get members mad.😁
Is there something different about the 2020 that makes the question specific to that year?
Not really just 2020 and the newer Scat Pack 392 Challengers that come with either hood: 1. "shaker" option or 2. Standard center intake with 2 air extractors.
Not including the SRT 392 Challengers that have just center air intake scoop in center of hood.-those aren't made anymore new from factory.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
your thread title is confusing - the Shaker models don't have a "center" scoop nor hood vent extractors.

with a Shaker, you have the flat hood and the Shaker scoop.

On a '19+ Scat Pack they have the '15 - '18 Hellcat hood (center scoop & dual hood extractor vents)

For a Shaker model, the headlight Air Catcher can have the duct done for it.

Mainly what it does is help get the IAT temperatures down faster from where they end up while stopped or in slow traffic.
- have this setup on my '16 Scat Pack Shaker

Its a bit more trimming to make that setup fit onto any '18+ Shaker as they have the lighted inner headlight tubes that come with covers secured with screws (earlier years were an open design with a front snap-in cap) - the length of the inner headlight is deeper, which necessitates trimming the rubber duct

the Hellcat and T/A rigid duct sits near the headlight, but doesn't fit over it like the rubber duct for the Shaker version
Sorry for the confusion. But yes I know the "shaker" option on flat hood or the other hood with center intake with 2 air extractors. I am sure this modification can be done with either hood. Perhaps the differences are one air filter from factory is in a sealed box and the other air filter is not in a sealed box just out open in the driver side part of engine?
Got any pics of your set up? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's why I did it to both of my SRT Powered Scat Packs. Did I gain any HP? No idea, I never tested it, however, cooler air is good for a motor. This article explains the engineering behind the design:

"Chris Cowland, Director of SRT Powertrain Engineering, estimates the Air Catcher provides a single-digit horsepower bump to the new Challenger SRT Hellcat’s V8.

“The hole in the headlight was actually put there because we required a certain amount of pressure drop across the intake system to generate 707 hp,” Cowland told AE. “Certainly if we took that away and we increased that pressure drop across the intake system, we would lose horsepower. We’ve never measured it by blocking it off or taking it away, but it could well be seven horsepower.” A second inlet point is located underneath the airbox.

Got pics?:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,580 Posts
:unsure: No I haven't I will look into it-Thanks(y)
You can also hold the Ctrl button and use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in/out on webpages

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
881 Posts
I have a 2016 with flat hood, added air inlet from inner light to stock air box. I did testing on 2 consecutive 90* days, first day without air inlet and second day with it. Definitely brings IAT down quicker once the car begins to move after sitting at a light. IAT maybe 1 or 2 degrees lower at cruise speed with headlight air inlet installed.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a 2016 with flat hood, added air inlet from inner light to stock air box. I did testing on 2 consecutive 90* days, first day without air inlet and second day with it. Definitely brings IAT down quicker once the car begins to move after sitting at a light. IAT maybe 1 or 2 degrees lower at cruise speed with headlight air inlet installed.
What does IAT stand for?
So then it does make some difference that you can feel?
Worth the cost?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,580 Posts
What does IAT stand for?
So then it does make some difference that you can feel?
Worth the cost?

A Guy

Reactions: STINGRAY
1 - 20 of 112 Posts