Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,450 Posts
When I installed the headlight air inlet I was disappointed and a little surprised that it made very little (if any) reduction to IAT although it did reduce the time it took to transition from stand still IAT to vehicle in motion IAT. After reading cruiserdan's comments I looked closer at the shaker air inlet. The air box gasket on my car makes contact with the hood approximately 20% of it's length primarily at the front and back of the longitudinal section and the portion closest to the left side of the car. There are huge gaps where the gasket is more than an inch from the hood. More interesting was a close inspection of the air cleaner which was cleaned 2K miles ago. There were no bugs or debris near the inlet from the shaker or headlight air inlet nor were there any on the bottom which is open to a convoluted path for fresh air but there were bugs and debris and generally more dirt on top. The filter is more heavily soiled adjacent to the headlight air inlet which indicates the headlight air inlet is functional.

I agree with cruiserdan's assessment that hot air is coming from the top, maybe a lot of hot air. If I recall, RacerX compared IAT's between his Challenger Scat Pack Shaker with headlight air inlet and a Charger Scat Pack without headlight air inlet. The Charger had lower IAT. I think I'll close off the top of the air box and record IAT's with top open and closed.
I fabricated a "cover" out of a large plastic tote that I wedge into the weathers strip on the Shaker CAI. I first experimented with a piece of cardboard to see if it would have an effect.

It drops the IATs from 3 - 7 degrees above ambient. In warmer weather it helps keep the IATs lower vs. pulling in hot underhood air (would run 9 - 15* above in town traffic)

When you "get on it" the IATs drop, and in decel it will pick up 1*
(my theory is the PCV fresh air hose probably feeds crankcase air back in during closed throttle / decel. Back on throttle and it drops down)

That trim around the box is probably more for appearance sake rather than having a plastic edge exposed.

Reactions: cruiserdan

·
Super Moderator
16,450 Posts
This makes perfect sense to me. Now it makes me wonder is the center ram air duct in between the 2 extractors on the scat pack Challenger hood is functional? Or can it be made fuctional EASILY if it isn't already functional for even more air to enter engine compartment for MORE cooling benefits?

Another way to get more cool air? :unsure:If you can remove both plastic blockers in DRL's then you get even more air into engine compartment regardless of whichever of the hoods you get with or without shaker.

This why I have chosen the standard hood in SPWB without the shaker option for more functionality.😁. Also its that much less engine space I have to deal with removing those 10 mm bolts that hold shaker down and easier to add oil unless I get one of those flexible oil funnels.

But of course the shaker gets more IAT and presents itself with the highest presence and cosmetic looks :love:better and badder.(y)

In either case I still would think you could add that CAI intake through the driver side DRL opening into the airbox no matter which SP Challenger hood you have with or without shaker and open up that other DRL on passenger side.

Yes as the Hellcat uses that closed airbox so if you can get a better seal on yours since the "shaker" option Challenger comes with that kind of open airbox.
If I were getting a WB Scat Pack - I'd install the T/A CAI setup. It will fit even with the extractor vent.
- if I had my preferences, I'd rather have the single center scoop (SRT 392 and T/A and now 5.7 R/T have), but that more $$ to get another hood, paint it...etc.

that center scoop is open to the outside - so any pollen / dust / road grim / dirty rain mist all collects in the engine bay and on top of the engine.

Anyone that has a ('15 -'18) SRT 392, ('15 - '18) Hellcat or '18 Hellcat WB or '19+ Scat Pack WB can attest to having all this end up on top of the engine if you drive it beyond just weekends and fair weather.

-it doesn't harm anything, but if you're particular about a clean engine and engine bay...you're going to be cleaning it

·
Super Moderator
16,450 Posts
One of the things even going back the the '70 / '71 shaker equipped models is there were no ratings different for a Shaker - which was available on 340 -4bbl, 383 - 4bbl, 440 -4bbl, 440 -6bbl or 426 Hemi

the engines are tested in dyno cells - the SAE standard ('72 onward) has the air cleaner and accessories.

so test the "differences" on a modern Shaker car would basically require testing on the vehicle - and that's not how the manufacturers do their engine power ratings.

They take it from the crank vs. a chassis dyno which adds a lot of variables - friction losses from transmission / driveline etc.

on a test stand, the conditions can be controlled and consistent results, where a chassis dyno you get heat soak (car isn't moving) and as anyone has done this, it will make the results vary.

With modern engines, cooler IATs help keep peak power potential up - 5.7s in my experience seemed to be more subject to heat soak, but any engine will get that as well.

This is why for the 'Cats and Demon and Redeye they did even more steps to get IATs down - heat soak really becomes a factor in forced induction engines.

·
Registered
214 Posts
What does IAT stand for?
So then it does make some difference that you can feel?
Worth the cost?
Intake Air Temperature.

Your Engine looks killer. I have the Billet Satin Silver Catch can and want to continue with the Satin Silver look like yours.
The ABS cover should have come with the car but I assume you added it? They make covers for that was well.
Where did you get the SRT sticker for the Air box? That looks awesome. And the Strut tower brace is unique I don't think I have seen that one before, what is it? Great job man .

I fabricated a "cover" out of a large plastic tote that I wedge into the weathers strip on the Shaker CAI. I first experimented with a piece of cardboard to see if it would have an effect.

It drops the IATs from 3 - 7 degrees above ambient. In warmer weather it helps keep the IATs lower vs. pulling in hot underhood air (would run 9 - 15* above in town traffic)

When you "get on it" the IATs drop, and in decel it will pick up 1*
(my theory is the PCV fresh air hose probably feeds crankcase air back in during closed throttle / decel. Back on throttle and it drops down)

That trim around the box is probably more for appearance sake rather than having a plastic edge exposed.
I'm confused, doesn't the Shaker have a cover front he hood that seals up the top of the CAI like the T/A does? Can you provide some pics of underneath the actual hood? Oh I think there is a tube that runs off the Shaker underneath right? So under the hood there is nothing to seal? It's been awhile since I have seen a Shaker under the hood.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm confused, doesn't the Shaker have a cover front he hood that seals up the top of the CAI like the T/A does? Can you provide some pics of underneath the actual hood? Oh I think there is a tube that runs off the Shaker underneath right? So under the hood there is nothing to seal? It's been awhile since I have seen a Shaker under the hood.
The underside of the hood is bare. The shaker feed comes into the back of the filter housing. As Hal stated, the "gasket" around the top edge of the air cleaner box is basically a decoration that covers the raw edge of the box. It only looks like a hood seal.

Reactions: Mantis1 and Rob446

·
Registered
214 Posts
The underside of the hood is bare. The shaker feed comes into the back of the filter housing. As Hal stated, the "gasket" around the top edge of the air cleaner box is basically a decoration that covers the raw edge of the box. It only looks like a hood seal.
The T/A seals to the Hood scoop inlet, I'm surprised Dodge didn't create something like that for the Shaker.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not offended at all just my opinion. I am sure some don’t particularly like my car and that’s alright but they all look better than a mustang or camaro.
...I'm used to the snowflakes/pansies on my Harley forum.
You can't ask a question like this; out of curiosity w/o getting flamed by several wannabe mods.........
Some folk have a reason and some do not.
You'll never know unless you ask. Just sayin'....................................

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
One of the things even going back the the '70 / '71 shaker equipped models is there were no ratings different for a Shaker - which was available on 340 -4bbl, 383 - 4bbl, 440 -4bbl, 440 -6bbl or 426 Hemi

the engines are tested in dyno cells - the SAE standard ('72 onward) has the air cleaner and accessories.

so test the "differences" on a modern Shaker car would basically require testing on the vehicle - and that's not how the manufacturers do their engine power ratings.

They take it from the crank vs. a chassis dyno which adds a lot of variables - friction losses from transmission / driveline etc.

on a test stand, the conditions can be controlled and consistent results, where a chassis dyno you get heat soak (car isn't moving) and as anyone has done this, it will make the results vary.

With modern engines, cooler IATs help keep peak power potential up - 5.7s in my experience seemed to be more subject to heat soak, but any engine will get that as well.

This is why for the 'Cats and Demon and Redeye they did even more steps to get IATs down - heat soak really becomes a factor in forced induction engines.
As far as engine heat soak goes won't those 2 air extractors help with that?

Is the purpose of this to show off the air filter? :unsure: I would think sealing that box would be more beneficial to keep that heat out of air filter.

If I were getting a WB Scat Pack - I'd install the T/A CAI setup. It will fit even with the extractor vent.
- if I had my preferences, I'd rather have the single center scoop (SRT 392 and T/A and now 5.7 R/T have), but that more $$ to get another hood, paint it...etc.

that center scoop is open to the outside - so any pollen / dust / road grim / dirty rain mist all collects in the engine bay and on top of the engine.

Anyone that has a ('15 -'18) SRT 392, ('15 - '18) Hellcat or '18 Hellcat WB or '19+ Scat Pack WB can attest to having all this end up on top of the engine if you drive it beyond just weekends and fair weather.

-it doesn't harm anything, but if you're particular about a clean engine and engine bay...you're going to be cleaning it
Well that center scoop is active and functional ( a good thing) to get even more cool air from outside to cool engine compartment down with extra help from both air extractors. These are all good things.

Is the T/A CAI set up different than the driver side set up that goes into air box on Challenger SP with standard hood?
I used to have a ram air kit on my 5.0 and that scoop was located below fog light near ground. It was a nusiance that I always had to worry about knocking off scoop on high curbs.🤮 But what was even worse was I got all kinds of dirty air from the scoop being that low that I got all kinds of debris on air filter i.e. dirt, insects.🤮 It seemed to be that the conical K & N filter got more dirty picking more stuff from ground. As for the design of the Challenger cool air intakes locations shouldn't be as bad since they are located higher.
Got any pics of this T/A CAI set up. Are there a bunch of different air intake systems available for the regular SP hood without the shaker? If so which one is highly recommended for effectiveness ,easy install, and quality part?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Is the purpose of this to show off the air filter? :unsure: I would think sealing that box would be more beneficial to keep that heat out of air filter.
My guess is that it is a visual thing. It goes along with the clear-coated engine compartment.
I know for a fact that capping the box makes a difference (at least in my car). Last summer I made a cardboard plate that I wedged into the top gasket. I ran the car at idle in 88 degree ambient temperature untill it got good and hot under the hood. The IAT was 141 degrees with the cardboard cover in place. I removed the cover while the engine was running and went 3 minutes. The IAT rapidly climbed to 170 degrees and was still edging up. With the engine still idling I reinstalled the cardboard cap and after 3 more minutes the IAT dropped back down to 150 degrees. That cover made a 20 degree difference without the car moving an inch. All testing was done with the hood closed, except for opening it long enough to tinker with the cap.

Reactions: Rob446

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
My guess is that it is a visual thing. It goes along with the clear-coated engine compartment.
I know for a fact that capping the box makes a difference (at least in my car). Last summer I made a cardboard plate that I wedged into the top gasket. I ran the car at idle in 88 degree ambient temperature untill it got good and hot under the hood. The IAT was 141 degrees with the cardboard cover in place. I removed the cover while the engine was running and went 3 minutes. The IAT rapidly climbed to 170 degrees and was still edging up. With the engine still idling I reinstalled the cardboard cap and after 3 more minutes the IAT dropped back down to 150 degrees. That cover made a 20 degree difference without the car moving an inch. All testing was done with the hood closed, except for opening it long enough to tinker with the cap.
Kind of reminds me of the older muscle performance cars that had that round open air cleaner element (looks good especially in chrome) alot of people changed to and removed the closed metal box on top of carb.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Your Engine looks killer. I have the Billet Satin Silver Catch can and want to continue with the Satin Silver look like yours.
The ABS cover should have come with the car but I assume you added it? They make covers for that was well.
Where did you get the SRT sticker for the Air box? That looks awesome. And the Strut tower brace is unique I don't think I have seen that one before, what is it? Great job man .
@Mantis1 Thanks for the thumbs up. The sticker came from The Detroit Shirt Company, they gave it to me when I ordered a Scat Pack t-shirt, free stuff! And the strut bar is Speed Logix, made by Razors Edge. If I recall correctly, the ABS cover comes with the car, just like the Hellcat. I'm leaving it with no bling, to offset the black airbox on the right side. Trying to keep it kinda symmetrical.

Reactions: Mantis1

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Me too, I like the cleaner look of the SRT 392 hood with just the center scoop.

·
Registered
214 Posts
@Mantis1 Thanks for the thumbs up. The sticker came from The Detroit Shirt Company, they gave it to me when I ordered a Scat Pack t-shirt, free stuff! And the strut bar is Speed Logix, made by Razors Edge. If I recall correctly, the ABS cover comes with the car, just like the Hellcat. I'm leaving it with no bling, to offset the black airbox on the right side. Trying to keep it kinda symmetrical.

The 2020 Chargers do not come with the cover , the 2019 Charger doesn't either. Cool man.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Idle hands tend to cause problems. Since I have not been able to locate a suitable aftermarket cap I decided to make one. This was one of those beer-fueled projects so not much was documented. The cap is made from a piece of sheet metal salvaged from a discarded microwave oven cabinet. I made a cardboard pattern that was transferred to the metal sheet. It was cut out by shears, files and a bench grinder. I rolled the edges with a small machinist's hammer and an anvil. I painted it with VHT wrinkle paint and baked it in my garage toaster oven. :cool:
20210126_123517.jpg
20210126_173156.jpg
20210126_173513.jpg
20210126_173531.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,397 Posts
Looks very professional ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Idle hands tend to cause problems. Since I have not been able to locate a suitable aftermarket cap I decided to make one. This was one of those beer-fueld projects so not much was documented. The cap is made from a piece of sheet metal salvaged from a discarded microwave oven cabinet. I made a cardboard pattern that was transferred to the metal sheet. It was cut out by shears, files and a bench grinder. I rolled the edges with a small machinist's hammer and an anvil. I painted it with VHT wrinkle paint and baked it in my garage toaster oven. :cool:
View attachment 1012734 View attachment 1012735 View attachment 1012736 View attachment 1012737
Looks great. So now cann you tell or feel any difference with that lid on?

61 - 80 of 112 Posts