Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Looks great. So now cann you tell or feel any difference with that lid on?
As I mentioned in post #70 above, it's good for at least a 20 degree difference in hot idle conditions. It also brings IAT down faster once the vehicle is in motion. Absolute low temps are about the same as not covered. Maybe a couple degrees cooler.

Since we rarely exclusively drive non-stop at highway speeds, this seems to make a decent difference overall.

In addition a less-than-perfectly-clean air filter does not scream out at viewers....lol

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
873 Posts
Hey cruiserdan, that's a nice cap you built. I really like the way it blocks the odd shaped cut out at the front of the airbox.
Here is my cap so far using left over flashing from the garage addition. It needs more shaping around the edges but I'm not concerned about aesthetics at this point in time as I'm considering some insulation as well. I recall a thread where someone insulated the box, inlet tube and TB which resulted in significant reduction of IAT. As well was listening to B Masons YouTube live this AM. he discussed laser temperature readings at intake manifold, IAT sensor boss of air tube, and air box. The IAT sensor boss was hotter than the other 2 locations due to backwash from the fans. To alleviate possible errors in actual IAT the sensor was relocated to the airbox.

Reactions: cruiserdan

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
318 Posts
I have the T/A intake on mine. By itself it lowered the IAT a little over stock. Then I wrapped most of it and the IAT went down a little more. I hear no extra noise at all from it and honestly have no proof or knowledge of any type of gains from it. I have a couple more modifications I want to do to the system though. I'd love to do some dyno testing but I can't afford something like that yet for something that's just informational. All my money needs to go into getting ready for the drag strip!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just curious if any of you with the 2020 Scat Pack 392 Challengers have noticed any improvements or differences after you did that air intake ram air modification to the driver side signal lamp which involves installing that ram air kit that goes to the airbox?

Car sounds noiser? Better acceleration? Gas mileage? Anything at all?

Was it worth the time, labor and money of installing this ram air kit modification to your 392 Challenger Scat Pack :unsure: ?
Runs cooler

·
Registered
42 Posts
your thread title is confusing - the Shaker models don't have a "center" scoop nor hood vent extractors.

with a Shaker, you have the flat hood and the Shaker scoop.

On a '19+ Scat Pack they have the '15 - '18 Hellcat hood (center scoop & dual hood extractor vents)

For a Shaker model, the headlight Air Catcher can have the duct done for it.

Mainly what it does is help get the IAT temperatures down faster from where they end up while stopped or in slow traffic.
- have this setup on my '16 Scat Pack Shaker

Its a bit more trimming to make that setup fit onto any '18+ Shaker as they have the lighted inner headlight tubes that come with covers secured with screws (earlier years were an open design with a front snap-in cap) - the length of the inner headlight is deeper, which necessitates trimming the rubber duct

the Hellcat and T/A rigid duct sits near the headlight, but doesn't fit over it like the rubber duct for the Shaker version

Kind of off topic, just want to ask a Scat Pack owner how different it rides compared to a R/T? I test drove a Hellcat Demon Redeye and it's very different. Years ago I test drove a 6 speed Tremec and was so focused on how it shifted and getting used to the shift pattern and accelerating I didn't really notice the ride.
The dealership near me has a new Jet black SP with black and ruby red interior. I think they sold it already. I put that interior in my R/T and LOVE it.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
OVER the shaker look or the SP with the center scoop with 2 air extractors?
Not a Shaker fan, I just prefer the single scoop SRT style.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
139 Posts
There is a pic somewhere on this site of the TA center scoop tube fitted to the bottom of the hood on a new Scat Pack. Pretty slick actually. It still let's the driver's side heat extractor do it's job and it has a totally different air box lid.

·
Super Moderator
16,450 Posts
Idle hands tend to cause problems. Since I have not been able to locate a suitable aftermarket cap I decided to make one. This was one of those beer-fueld projects so not much was documented. The cap is made from a piece of sheet metal salvaged from a discarded microwave oven cabinet. I made a cardboard pattern that was transferred to the metal sheet. It was cut out by shears, files and a bench grinder. I rolled the edges with a small machinist's hammer and an anvil. I painted it with VHT wrinkle paint and baked it in my garage toaster oven. :cool:
View attachment 1012734 View attachment 1012735 View attachment 1012736 View attachment 1012737
Dan - I salute you!

In metal, no less...🏆

·
Super Moderator
16,450 Posts
Kind of off topic, just want to ask a Scat Pack owner how different it rides compared to a R/T? I test drove a Hellcat Demon Redeye and it's very different. Years ago I test drove a 6 speed Tremec and was so focused on how it shifted and getting used to the shift pattern and accelerating I didn't really notice the ride.
The dealership near me has a new Jet black SP with black and ruby red interior. I think they sold it already. I put that interior in my R/T and LOVE it.
A Scat Pack will ride firmer than R/T with standard suspension

Next up in firmness would be R/T with Super Track Pack suspension (I think current model year get this as std. equipment), but not as firm as a Scat Pack

and SRT (or Widebody) will have 3 mode shocks in which the Sport Mode approximates what a Scat Pack with the fixed / conventional Bilsteins feels like.
[Street = most compliant / Sport = firmer / Track = stiffest for shock compression and rebound settings]

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Sale Price:$661.98 🤮 😖 :unsure:

Runs cooler
Engine temps cooler. Isn't that more to do with coolant and fan?

A Scat Pack will ride firmer than R/T with standard suspension

Next up in firmness would be R/T with Super Track Pack suspension (I think current model year get this as std. equipment), but not as firm as a Scat Pack

and SRT (or Widebody) will have 3 mode shocks in which the Sport Mode approximates what a Scat Pack with the fixed / conventional Bilsteins feels like.
[Street = most compliant / Sport = firmer / Track = stiffest for shock compression and rebound settings]
I would go for the softest ride. I don't want to loose all of my fillings. 😁

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Glamour shot of my microwave cabinet repurpose:)
20210127_230417.jpg

Reactions: Carbide

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,399 Posts
Never noticed before, the Shakers come with no under hood insulator

A Guy

Reactions: Carbide

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,399 Posts
At least their engine bay/under hood gets cleared for appearance

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,972 Posts
Never noticed before, the Shakers come with no under hood insulator

A Guy
What are you referring to, the matting?
FWIW, here is my 2018, I assume as stock, but I got it used.
Also, why is the SHAKER graphic BLACK on there? White would show up better, heck, white would actually show up period.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
873 Posts
As I mentioned in post #70 above, it's good for at least a 20 degree difference in hot idle conditions. It also brings IAT down faster once the vehicle is in motion. Absolute low temps are about the same as not covered. Maybe a couple degrees cooler.

Since we rarely exclusively drive non-stop at highway speeds, this seems to make a decent difference overall.

In addition a less-than-perfectly-clean air filter does not scream out at viewers....lol
I did some testing today, the results correlate with yours. ECT was 185 and ambient temperature was 46 degrees for the entire test.
After idling for 4 minutes IAT was 78 with air box enclosed and 104 with it open, a difference of 26 degrees (The car was parked in the same position with the sun behind)
Next the car was driven a route which included village and country roads, once with air box open and again with it closed. Both drives were data logged. IAT, RPM, & vehicle speed were recorded in a spreadsheet at 30 seconds, one minute and one minute intervals thereafter. The covered airbox yielded an average of 17 degrees cooler for the first minute of the drive and 3.7 degrees cooler for the remainder of the drive. At speeds above 45MPH the difference was approximately 1 degree.

The closed airbox probably doesn't do anything useful with the possible exception of drag racing. If closing the air box and insulating the box and tube between box and TB can reduce IAT 20 to 30 degrees for 11 to 12 seconds of racing it could have a small impact on ET.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The best part is you don't have to keep the air filter squeaky-clean for those open-hood moments with onlookers. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,450 Posts
What are you referring to, the matting?
FWIW, here is my 2018, I assume as stock, but I got it used.
Also, why is the SHAKER graphic BLACK on there? White would show up better, heck, white would actually show up period.
View attachment 1012961
the original E-body shakers had a white decal with black lettering.

its true on the darker colors that the black lettering (on clear background) almost disappears.

One theory - when washing the car, or sitting parked in rain, or driven in rain, some water gets beyond the hood seal
- it would probably damage the underhood pad.

The original E-body models with shaker hoods also didn't have underhood insulation pads either - just on the standard Sport hood or the flat hood if ordered with that package.

A friend had a Hellcat - he'd use a pressure washer / foam cannon setup to wash the car. the hood pad near those vents was sort of warped / bent likely from getting wet.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,972 Posts
the original E-body shakers had a white decal with black lettering.

its true on the darker colors that the black lettering (on clear background) almost disappears.

One theory - when washing the car, or sitting parked in rain, or driven in rain, some water gets beyond the hood seal
- it would probably damage the underhood pad.

The original E-body models with shaker hoods also didn't have underhood insulation pads either - just on the standard Sport hood or the flat hood if ordered with that package.

A friend had a Hellcat - he'd use a pressure washer / foam cannon setup to wash the car. the hood pad near those vents was sort of warped / bent likely from getting wet.
Plus I assume that the giant hole in the middle of my hood lets out a ton of heat so the matt isn't needed as much.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts