Dodge Challenger Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nope. PR3 TorRed.
Real Challengers are either red or white. ;)
Does octane red count?🤔🤣

Idle hands tend to cause problems. Since I have not been able to locate a suitable aftermarket cap I decided to make one. This was one of those beer-fueled projects so not much was documented. The cap is made from a piece of sheet metal salvaged from a discarded microwave oven cabinet. I made a cardboard pattern that was transferred to the metal sheet. It was cut out by shears, files and a bench grinder. I rolled the edges with a small machinist's hammer and an anvil. I painted it with VHT wrinkle paint and baked it in my garage toaster oven. :cool:
View attachment 1012734 View attachment 1012735 View attachment 1012736 View attachment 1012737
Looks good. Maybe something like this will be available soon.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,397 Posts
Plus I assume that the giant hole in the middle of my hood lets out a ton of heat so the matt isn't needed as much.
I would hope the Shaker gasket does a good job of sealing that hole

How do I change my screen name? Didn't think about this before as I joined before my car showed up.
Only an Admin can change a user name. Send a PM to Bernie @Rambit and he'll take care of you when he sees it

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
16,450 Posts
Plus I assume that the giant hole in the middle of my hood lets out a ton of heat so the matt isn't needed as much.
the shaker base plate seals to the hood (rubber seal) - this is to keep water from accumulating on top of the engine, so it doesn't vent underhood heat out that way

Reactions: Rob446

·
Administrator
3,753 Posts
Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,972 Posts
I would hope the Shaker gasket does a good job of sealing that hole
Yes, it does seal very well, but the actual SHAKER is a hole, and any heat soak in the intake tract can "float" up out of it. I bet there is a decent flow from convection while sitting still.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
873 Posts
I did some testing today, the results correlate with yours. ECT was 185 and ambient temperature was 46 degrees for the entire test.
After idling for 4 minutes IAT was 78 with air box enclosed and 104 with it open, a difference of 26 degrees (The car was parked in the same position with the sun behind)
Next the car was driven a route which included village and country roads, once with air box open and again with it closed. Both drives were data logged. IAT, RPM, & vehicle speed were recorded in a spreadsheet at 30 seconds, one minute and one minute intervals thereafter. The covered airbox yielded an average of 17 degrees cooler for the first minute of the drive and 3.7 degrees cooler for the remainder of the drive. At speeds above 45MPH the difference was approximately 1 degree.

The closed airbox probably doesn't do anything useful with the possible exception of drag racing. If closing the air box and insulating the box and tube between box and TB can reduce IAT 20 to 30 degrees for 11 to 12 seconds of racing it could have a small impact on ET.

After insulating the closed air box testing was repeated. Again ambient temperature was 46 and ECT was 185. The car was parked in the same position and driven the same route. After idling for 4 minutes IAT was 64, 40 degrees cooler than the stock Scat Pack air box and 14 degrees cooler than the enclosed air box. For the first minute after the car started moving IAT averaged 27 degrees cooler than the open air box and 10 degrees cooler than the closed airbox. For the remainder of the drive IAT averaged 5.7 degrees cooler than the stock air box and 2 degrees cooler than the closed air box. Once again, after approximately 5 minutes of driving and speeds of 45 or more the difference was negligible.

In conclusion, with the MOPAR air inlet installed on the Scat Pack air box it appears that enclosing and insulating the air box may provide 1 to 2 degrees IAT reduction in normal driving. I’m optimistic the enclosed and insulated air box will provide a significant IAT reduction from staging lanes to the ⅛ mile mark and hopefully a small performance gain.

·
Super Moderator
16,450 Posts
View attachment 1014880
After insulating the closed air box testing was repeated. Again ambient temperature was 46 and ECT was 185. The car was parked in the same position and driven the same route. After idling for 4 minutes IAT was 64, 40 degrees cooler than the stock Scat Pack air box and 14 degrees cooler than the enclosed air box. For the first minute after the car started moving IAT averaged 27 degrees cooler than the open air box and 10 degrees cooler than the closed airbox. For the remainder of the drive IAT averaged 5.7 degrees cooler than the stock air box and 2 degrees cooler than the closed air box. Once again, after approximately 5 minutes of driving and speeds of 45 or more the difference was negligible.

In conclusion, with the MOPAR air inlet installed on the Scat Pack air box it appears that enclosing and insulating the air box may provide 1 to 2 degrees IAT reduction in normal driving. I’m optimistic the enclosed and insulated air box will provide a significant IAT reduction from staging lanes to the ⅛ mile mark and hopefully a small performance gain.
when you stomp on the throttle / WOT - you'll see IATs drop (within 2 - 3* of ambient temps) with the top of the airbox covered

Reactions: Rob446

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is a pic somewhere on this site of the TA center scoop tube fitted to the bottom of the hood on a new Scat Pack. Pretty slick actually. It still let's the driver's side heat extractor do it's job and it has a totally different air box lid.
Here you go. I have the same setup in mine as well. I cannot say it makes any difference but the top of my engine is cleaner. I can say that my IAT is a little lower than stock. It does recover faster when you get going but that may be more the functional headlight intake. Either way I have no complaints.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On my 18 shaker at cruising speed the intake air temp would hang around 7 degrees over ambient, after I put the headlight intake tube in it is now 3 to 5 degrees above ambient at cruise speed.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts