Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many of you guys are using some sort of dash cover or mat to cover up or prevent the problems around the passenger side air bag? To update the ones of you following my previous post here is where I stand. I have talked with the dealer, they acknowledge the problem and even say that the last 2010 they have on the lot has the problem as a new car, but they cant do anything as Dodge will not fix the issue. 2 calls to Dodge customer support has netted the same response of, sorry there is nothing we can do for you. A complaint filed with the BBB in Michigan actually got a written response calling the problem " a design characterisitc". I have to admit this did get a chuckle as a mediation attorney I spoke to said that they may take the tact of it not being a flaw but a feature. Please dont take my persistance on this issue as running down my Challenger, to the contrary I love my Challenger. One of the reps from my dealership made the comment to me as I was relating my story, that Dodge was not going to buy my car back. My response? Good because its not for sale, I simply want it fixed, nothing more. Sorry to ramble but back to my original question of how many of you are using a dash cover on your Challenger either due to this issue or to prevent it.

Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
Every since the dash cracked in my '00 Dodge Ram I have been using a window visor to prevent direct sunlight from getting to the dash while its parked outside. It is very upsetting that Chrylser doesn't seem to be winning any customer support awards lately. I have to say I don't think I will be a repeat custom of Chrylser anymore.

Just last month I sued them for the lack of quality workmanship performed on my transmission that went out after 1 year. It took them over a month to get 1 syncro in and did not provide me updates. That being said, after reading what you have just went through sounds similar to the frustration I went through with my tranny. Have you considered a lawyer? If this happens to me in the future, I'll definatly be giving mine a call again.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
41 Posts
A friend of mine has an '04 Ram with this problem. His PU is parked outside in direct sunlight. His dash literally exploded! Hole in the dash large enough to throw a football through! I would have at least protected the dash from direct sunlight by utilizing a carboard shield, but he still doesn't. I think Crysler should be forced to make restitution to those owners with such sun damage.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just curious

Part of the reason in asking is in previous threads, I have had people suggest a dash pad, or even had others say they use them. I have to wonder what, if any effect this might have in the event of a crash and the airbag having to deploy? I know the airbags deploy with a good bit of force and not having seen or read anything on it, so I honestly dont know the answer. However, just for giggles, if it did cause some sort of problem, to what extent could Dodge/Chrysler be held accountable as owners are seeking other solluutions to the issue due to the manufacturer's failure to address the problem? For those that have not seen my other thread, the enclosed photo is what I am talking about

Attachments

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I think that if you knew you were covering up the airbag with a cover, you would have assumed the risk that the airbag wouldn't deploy correctly or that injury could result if it did deploy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
follow up

I can certainly understand that many may take that point of view, and its not even established that it would be an issue at all thus far. If it were to be an issue at all, I can assure you that most of the people that did go that route would never even considered it. After all, they are for sale, so it must be ok, right?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have used dash covers on almost all my cars lately. All that I have seen and used, where the car has a passenger air bag, the cover will either have a flap (or separate piece cut out) over the airbag door to allow it to deploy.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have used a dash cover on all of my vehicles since 1985. Mainly to prevent sun fading the dash. And the ones that I use look good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts