Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thought about it some since I had gone back to the dealership with my dipped/wavey dash. My car is a 2009 RT with 14k miles, in a previous thread someone else started I had discussed taking the car back due to the really tacky looking spot on the dash where the airbag is. The dealership eventually ordered me a new dash and when it came in, it had the same issue as the one already in the car. I opted not to install a new defective part. I know that there are others with the same issue and still others that do not have the problem or simply it doesnt bother them. I am particular about my car and the dash drives me nuts.
Anyhow I thought about it for awhile and decided to contact Dodge customer support. A pleasant rep. took my information and the nature of my complaint and told me someone would call me. The next day I was contacted again and asked about my concerns. The rep. told me that she would contact my local dealer and see what options were available. The rep. did say it may take a couple of days but she would get back to me. True to her word it took about 2 business days and she called me back. The long and the short of it was this, without saying it was a poor design she stated that there was not a solution. That the airbag had to be there and could not be covered any other way. Replacing the dash with another would only put me back at step one and thus far there has been no redesign or changes to the current design. I offered that it has a horrible design and I see cars with airbags everyday that do not have this issue, she responded that she was not inclined to disagree with my assesment. So at the end of the day I vented, she offered to pass my observations along to anyone that might care, and I am left still feeling unsatisfied because I have a really nice looking car that I shelled out a good sum of money for and this early in the game it looks like the quality of my vehicle is questionable at best.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Is the dash problem something that developed over time?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Dash pad

I alos took mine to have the dealer look at it.Seems all the new Challengers on his lot have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
If the car sits out in the sun for any length of time I use a Sun shade..

·
Registered
329 Posts
This should be something that the vender who builds the dash pads should correct. Dodge should be rejecting imperfect dash pads.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
It's like an 8x8 square on the top of the passenger side of the dash. Mine's always garage kept and it's visible. I'm sure the extra sun and driving time you have down south doesn't help, but it's not the only reason it's there.

Mines not even a year old with just over 6000 miles and I can see it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
repy

I think the Dodge rep probably hit it on the head, and when I say this I do not mean any disrespect to anyone. The lady said that somethings that may bother some people, other people could care less about. I am pretty detail oriented with my cars and this drives me nuts. It is about an 8 x 8 spot on the upper part of the passenger-side dash, and it is where the airbag would deploy if you were in a crash. It may not be glaring to some people, and I am sure it some of the cars the problem is just not as bad. If you look across the dash and it may or may not depend on the lighting and angle depending on how bad each car is, you can see an area where the dash dips in. or looks kind of like the surface has settled or depressed in. It looks to me as its nothing more than there is simply nothing more than where this spot it, its just a fabric stretched across the space and nothing under it to support it, so the spot settles. I understand that it needs to be where the airbag can deploy, but I see cars with airbags everyday and are not like this. I am not a huge fan of the dash pads, but were the problem get worse, I might consider it. My car stays in the garage, I have only had it 6 months so I cant speak to how it was kept previous. I do not think mine has gotten worse since I have had it, and I really dont think its a sun issue, though time in the sun probably wont make it better. I will try and snap a picture or two if I get the chance. If you havent noticed it dont look at your dash anymore, cause thats all you will ever see from that point on :)

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
If and when you get the dash replaced, over time it will do the same thing the old dash did. The rep is correct. There has been no updates on the replacement dash pannels. My R/T Classic is starting to do it because it was on the lot for over a year/. Im NOT getting it replaced. My Mopar 10 looks perfect as odf now but I bet that changes in 6 months or so. I do use sunshades on both cars to help with MANY MANY other problems that could happen later on down the road if sunshades are not used.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This isn't the first time a Dodge dash has had problems. My 00' Ram dash cracked all the way across when I left it out one summer. This sucks to hear, I always use a sunshade now because of the worry.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry it took forever

I just got off my behind and brought out the camera to try and take some pictures, I was replacing my speedo face and got one of the dash as well. You know this is a really nice car and I have gotten pretty fond of it in a short time, but looking across my dash and looking at this really burns me up.

Charlie

Attachments

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I just got off my behind and brought out the camera to try and take some pictures, I was replacing my speedo face and got one of the dash as well. You know this is a really nice car and I have gotten pretty fond of it in a short time, but looking across my dash and looking at this really burns me up.

Charlie
Wow...that looks horrible. Really sucks.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Thank you for showing us the picture, I can definitely understand now... I hope things work out for you in getting Dodge to recognize their design problem with this.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would get it swapped out. My 2010 does not look like that and I don't use a sunshade or a dash pad.
________
Live Sex

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I called Dodge pt. 2

WOW, I am starting to think less and less of Dodge as I go. So my first response from Dodge didnt set well, so I called back. I related my problem and the first response I was given to the lady that answered the phone and told her, not unkindly, that this was not a proper response and I wanted a solution to my problem. She put me on hold came back a few minutes later told me there was nothing they could do, I responded there was something they could do, they simply did not want to. I asked if there was anyone else I could escalate the issue to, and was told no, but I could take the issue back up with the dealer if I liked. So I called the dealer back and talked with one of the service managers. He now sounds like he doesnt want to replace the dash "because they are all like that", and in fairness I see little point in trying to replace a defective part with another. I know he doesnt speak for Dodge but he admits to alot of repair issues related to fit and trim and a new procedure in place where all such warranty claims have to be photographed and submitted to Dodge for approval to be fixed. He also relates, and I had already heard this, that Dodge has upped its allowance on building new cars for the interiors. The manager tells me that Dodge has gone to new vendors for their interiors and that the new cars are much nicer. I guess you could read into this as you will, I take it as the quality not being what it needs to be, they are trying to fix the issue on the new cars and but have no plan to do more than they have to for the rest of us. I called the BBB, Dodge of course is not member so they said they really could not help me either. I have to go back to the dealer in the next day or so because i have a crack on one of my chromeclads and a broken clip on my console, so I will discuss it further. So where to next? I dont really have issue that there is a problem, stuff happens, but you dont want to fix it? Really?

·
Registered
208 Posts
While it is true Chrysler does require pictures of certain trim items before replacing, the average turn around time is 6 minutes, you could wait for their response. There is no reason that would be denied.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts