Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay...now the FIRST car I drove was the 2010 Camaro SS, which blew me away as I was used to my old FJ Cruiser V-6. I mean wheel-spin galore and when it gripped, it felt like a rocket. I ended up getting the Challenger as I found it to be such a sexier car without all the kiddy accesories the Camaro has (who the hell looks down to see oil\coolant\trans temp at the shifter area). Anyway. With the hassles I have had with Dodge as they can't seem to fix damn thing correctly, I was looking at the Camaro.

So I drove the new 2014 2SS. First off, space-looking dash, but too much going on with it, and it makes you feel small. Who wants a muscle-car that makes you feel small? Blind-spots galore, and I felt like I was driving a small car. Now, this thing has a 6-Speed Automatic, if I recall, same my Father has in the Caddliac CTS-V which has the LSA 560HP\TQ motor.

Difference? The motor felt beyond sluggish. Shifting manually with the paddles, each gear shift was rough and didn't seem to catch on well at all. I swear my 6.1l Challenger SRT-8 pulls FAR harder even though it uses 1st gear until 45 MPH and the Camaro only until 35MPH (lower gearing). I was just stunned by how bad the performance was, yet it is apparently supposed to be comparable to the 392?

My two friends could barely fit in the back as well, the trunk space is "bleh" and the visibility, let's just say I would not want to be driving this hard-core around anyone near me as I can't see them. I also can't even rest my arm with the window down as the trim on the Camaro is so thin, overly complicated air controls w\ no rear vents as well.

So far still loving my 6.1L HEMI, it really feels like it pulls a hell of a lot stronger than the 2014 Camaro 2SS which blew my mind, I thought after driving one I would instantly want to convert esp with all the issues I've had with Dodge's so called "reliability." Chevrolet is also trying to push the 2013's out so badly, they are willing to do a direct swap into a 2SS Convertible 2013 if I am okay with trading my SRT-8, 2008 First-Year Challenger w\ 50k in.

Even with that deal I just...I can't do it, not yet anyway. I'm going to try the 5.0 Coyote Mustang, but I feel in-love with the Challenger due to it's design, and then I started feeling like it was "slow" I guess as I daily-drive it, and getting in the new Camaro SS just made me realize, it's not slow, and it has a hell of a lot more daily driving potential and is def more comfy.

Anyway, yeah...was just blown away that the SS didn't feel impressive at all and thought I'd voice my drive. I've gotten over 6 calls from that dealership today wanting to make the swap lol.

·
Premium Member
2014 100th Annivesary R/T
517 Posts
I have to agree with you on the Camaro's. While I cant attest to the power side of the SRT vs. SS, I can say I will take my Challenger SXT over the Camaro RS model hands down, its so much more comfortable, better sight lines, more space for passengers. I had gotten a 2014 Camaro RS for a rental car while on vacation and I felt the fit/finish on the Camaro is slightly better, but the seats are hard and I was physically hurting after driving over 100 miles. I took it back the next day and got a 2013 Charger SXT and enjoyed it immensely over the Camaro RS (the gas mileage was considerable better as well). The only thing I would love to have on my Challenger is the HUD that was on the RS, it was nice driving and not having to take my eyes off the road to check my speed.

-Kenny

·
Registered
876 Posts
Kenny, as far as the HUD goes: there are apps you can get for smartphones that read in reverse so you can put your phone on the dash and read the reflection HUD-style (speed, compass, nav, etc.,). I wanted a Camaro BAD (my first car was a Camaro) ... until I test drove a couple. The HUD & the exterior styling were the ONLY things I ended up liking about them.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Camaro convertible or ZL1 are the only ones I'd consider. The former for visibility, the latter for performance. That is a sweet deal IMO, a brand new car swapped for a 6 year old one with 50K on it? I drove a 2008 SRT-8 and 2010 2SS back to back, and I thought the 2 SS was slightly quicker with better responses in steering and braking. Not a huge difference, but I felt it. In fact, I think performance data backs up my feelings. SRT-8 is still better looking, has more space, and sounds meaner. I would trade for the mere fact that a First Edition Challenger is no where the price of a brand new SS drop top, especially with 50K at least around here. Problem with First Editions is that there are many out there with only a few thousand miles on them. Thus, if you actually drove yours, which you did, good luck selling it yourself, when there is much competition with way less miles.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Yeah, my neighbor is on his second Camaro, and the best thing about it is.................... it's his car, and not mine! LOL

He continually just gets that "glazed" look when he's around my Challenger.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,733 Posts
Personally, I would have done the trade, and then taken the new Camaro into a Dodge dealer to trade it towards a new Challenger lol.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have test drove a couple of Camaros. I couldn't fit in them to good, head rubbed head liner,seats were hard, felt cramped, too much going on the dash, many blind spots and it looked grumpy...yes grumpy. The whole car to me just looks like it's in a grumpy mood all the time...hell,I'm just crazy I guess.
I'm very satisfied with my R/T!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I read a great quote somewhere, I'm sure a lot of others have seen it. The camaro looks like it wants to kick ur ass, the challenger looks like it's coming to do it. I have always thought the camaro looks like a ****y, preppy kids car. Challenger just looks mean and all business.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The Camaro has too much going on style wise, Too busy I guess you could say. Almost like its trying too hard. The Challenger has a nice clean look, real classy and easy on the eyes. Add the fact its poorly made and not much bigger inside than a contortionists box and I will pass. My female friends like em, "Theyre cute" so theres that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Kenny, as far as the HUD goes: there are apps you can get for smartphones that read in reverse so you can put your phone on the dash and read the reflection HUD-style (speed, compass, nav, etc.,). I wanted a Camaro BAD (my first car was a Camaro) ... until I test drove a couple. The HUD & the exterior styling were the ONLY things I ended up liking about them.
Only bad thing about that is the fact that you'll cook a decent smartphone on these big ass dashboards doing that regularly, especially in the summer.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I bought a brand new 1967 Camaro & a 1997 Camaro & and I was happy. Then I bought a 2010 Camaro and sold it right away, not the same car any more. I love Vetts, & owned my share of them , but I have a bad back & to low makes it hard to get into. Now I have a 2010 SRT8 and I love the body style and I have to say it is my favorite car I ever owned. It handles great , has great power, and easy to get in & out of. I just hope Dodge don't screw the Challenger up like Chevy did with the Camaro.;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
40 Posts
Been looking at the Challenger for some time. The Camaro did catch my eye though. The dealer had a left over 2012 SS Demo with a hell of a price cut. Needless to say I had to drive it. Pulled out of the lot and by the time I got to the corner (100 yards) realized I was wasting my time! The Camaro rides rough, sits hard and did I say the ride... UGH! Went around the block, went to the Dodge dealer next door...... Ordered a Shaker and couldn't be HAPPIER. The only pain now is the wait.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Before I bought my Challenger, I researched/studied the Camaro, Mustang and Challenger for about two years. I was waiting for my oldest to be done with college and get working before I made my decision.

On paper, all three seem to match up closely. For me a few tenths of a second was not going to sway me to buy one of these cars. As a daily driver, I needed to be able to actually drive this car 50 miles a day and enjoy it.

The beginning of last year, my VW was hit while parked on the street by a drunk. My car was in the shop for three weeks so I had a rental car the whole time.

I got a BMW 328xdrive for a about a week and liked that car but after dealing with my previous BMW 740i, I would never buy a used one ever again.

After a week, I noticed the rental agency (it was next to my house) had a silver camaro in the lot so I went over there and swapped it out.

First impression - As soon as I opened the door to get in, I had to twist my body a certain way because the roof line and then you sink into the seat. Not comfortable at all.

The blind spots and the viewing through the front window and rear is horrible. Almost got hit twice. Then when it rained, it got worse. There's just no way that I could drive this car for long and feel safe. So after about a week, i returned the car and lucky for me, the rental place had just received a brand new Challenger v6. So I got that car for a week and immediately knew after ten minutes of driving that this would be my next car....but an R/T.

I have respect for the Camaro and Mustang. They just aren't the cars for me.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Personally, I would have done the trade, and then taken the new Camaro into a Dodge dealer to trade it towards a new Challenger lol.
This!!!!!

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Because you've had so many problems with your 2008 Challenger, the easy choice would be to trade it in on a newer Challenger.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Before I went with the Challenger I also was 100% set on getting a 2014 Camaro SS/RS package black with silver indy stripes. I test drove probly a half dozen different Camaro's then on a whim I took one of the kids out with me and drove a 2013 Challenger RT/Auto. From that moment on every time I looked at a Camaro I couldn't get the thought out of my mind that it was matchbox car with all the plastic. The sad thing is my Dad had 2 Camaro's when I was a kid and I've always loved the old muscle cars. He had a 69 Camaro ss and a Z28, and recently he just finished restoring a new 69 Camaro ss black with hounds tooth interior. The obvious things stick out on the Challenger, it just has that old school muscle car look. The space to back it up and the right neck snapping power to make you grin. Everyone I meet loves the challenger and has to take a look inside and under the hood.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts