1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to San Diego.
I'm in the fast lane(as usual!!)
It's 6:00am and I pass this black Chevy pickup going about uhhh the speed limit

So, as I get about 2 car lengths past him, I suddenly hear his engine downshift and kick into hi revs. However... He's not really going anywhere for a few seconds, and then he slowly goes by me accelerating up to about mmm ...90?
He then has to slow down for a car in front of him. I wasn't much impressed. LOL
He proceeded to cut across traffic and exit at the next off ramp. BTW, he was in the carpool lane. Doh!

·
Super Moderator
13,858 Posts
That's fairly common with pick-up drivers. They think that because they have loud exhausts, they are kings of the road.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Well I bet he impressed himself. Was probably telling all his friends at work that he smoked a Hemi Challenger on the drive in today.

Why else would he do that??? You was in a RACE! Albeit a short one.....btw, you lost! Hahahaaaa. Let them have their fun.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You gotta be careful with folks who act/drive like that. Some are jealous of your cool/fast ride, some resent the choices they've made in life (like the vehicle they're driving or shitty job they're driving to), and some are just having a bad day. In any case, these are type of people who will cut you off and slam on the brakes.....just to "teach you a lesson".

As a seasoned interstate highway commuter, I'm constantly on the lookout for drivers like this, and when I encounter them, I try to avoid them at all costs. However, there have been a couple times when the road-rager wouldn't back off, and continued his stupid tactics, "swerving, blocking, brake-checking", so I simply pass them and go-like-hell. I figured that if I ever got stopped for speeding under this circumstance, I'd just explain that I feared for my safety, and figured if I pulled over and stopped, there would be a physical confrontation. Normally, the person doing the brake-checking isn't in a car as fast as yours.....However, if they are and you can't get away, that's when you take their plate number and call the police. But never ever stop along the highway. (That's how you get killed).

·
Registered
834 Posts
Pickups with loud exhaust and/or lift kits and/or aftermarket bright ass headlights are the new ricers.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My question is... Why do Californians refer to their highways as "THE" and a number. Like The 5, or The 101, etc. On the east coast, we just say "on I-95", or "on 295" or "on route 9". We don't put "The" in front of the number. Why?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My question is... Why do Californians refer to their highways as "THE" and a number. Like The 5, or The 101, etc. On the east coast, we just say "on I-95", or "on 295" or "on route 9". We don't put "The" in front of the number. Why?
Just watch and episode of "The Californians" from SNL. And if you've never met someone from California....there's as much truth in this depiction as there is humor.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ha ha! I haven't had my RT long enough yet to come across this too much yet. Though I do notice some people trying to hit the gas quickly when a light turns green if they are next to me. Which I'm still getting use to driving a manual again after 8yrs. So I'm pretty slow off the line anyway just normal driving, haven't even got up to quick take offs yet. But man, back when I had my 2008 BMW M3 I came across this a LOT! At about 90% of stop lights where I was first in my lane, the guy next to me would want to race me!

I remember one time in the summer of 2009 these teens in a late 90's Suburban pulled up to me at a stoplight with the windows down. I knew immediately what was going to happen, they were going to rev their engine, light turns green and they take off like idiots, so I decided to just ignore them and not even look to my left at them. They did rev their engine, then the kid in the passenger seat leans out his window a bit and politely says "Hey, wanna race?!". I slightly turned and said "No thanks", which then the passenger kid leaned back in to the driver, they said something things, then he leaned back out and said "Ok, well we just wanted to hear your engine!". And I chuckled and was flattered, so I indulged them and took off when the light turned green! They caught up a couple lights later and thanked me, ha ha.

Edit - I remember another one when I had my M3. Was at a light with the windows down, another M3 of the same year pulls up next to me with the windows down and two kids in the back. The guy looks over and says "Nice car <wink>.....I live just up the street...after I drop the kids off you wanna race". I laughed but declined. We didn't race but he got a ways ahead of me after that light, just cause of some light traffic. About a mile down the road, sure enough I saw him in the driveway of a house taking his kids out of the car. We waved at each other as I drove by, ha ha!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Good story. I've gotten into some good-natured "races" with youngsters under similar circumstances. Young fellow in a jacked up Diesel Dodge (billowing black smoke from the stacks) pulled up next to me (at around 60 MPH), revved a few times and went......so I went.....left him.....and then got a hearty thumbs up and a huge smile when I slowed down and he caught me again.

Some people appreciate the Challenger....some are just wound-up tight *****s who can't stand to see someone else enjoying their drive. Probably because they have ugly kids, cheating wife, and a dog that shits on the carpet.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Because there are so many, with so many permutations.

For instance, in and around Los Angeles alone, you have the 1, the 10, the 101, the 110, the 210, the 5, the 105, the 605, the 405, the 91, the 14, the 33, the 38, the 52, the 55, the 60, etc. And some freeways are Insterstate, some are CA State Roads, and some are Interstate in one sector and become CA in another sector. So to shorten it, without having to know/indicate which is which, just say ”the”.

PS: also, for decades California named its freeways. Instead of numbers, it used names like the Harbor Freeway (I-110), the Golden State Freeway (I-5), the San Diego Freeway (I-405), the Pacific Coast Highway (CA-1), etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Because there are so many.

For instance, in and around Los Angeles alone, you have the 1, the 10, the 101, the 110, the 210, the 105, the 5, the 605, the 405, the 91, the 14, the 38, the 55, the 60, etc. And some freeways are Interstate, some are California State roads, and some are both in different areas. So to shorten it, without having to indicate which is which, just add the.
Ha ha, yeah! While I'm not in CA, I am in AZ and it's similar though we don't have quite as many.

I moved here 8yrs ago and my mom liked to give me a hard time because I would say "freeway" now when I use to say "interstate" when I lived in the midwest. She thinks it's a funny regional thing I've picked up but I explained to her that it's because most of them are actual "freeways" as it's in their title. And that I use those "freeways" MUCH more than the actual "interstates" in the area.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Because there are so many, with so many permutations.

For instance, in and around Los Angeles alone, you have the 1, the 10, the 101, the 110, the 210, the 5, the 105, the 605, the 405, the 91, the 14, the 33, the 38, the 52, the 55, the 60, etc. And some freeways are Insterstate, some are CA State Roads, and some are Interstate in one sector and become CA in another sector. So to shorten it, without having to know/indicate which is which, just say ”the”.

PS: also, for decades California named its freeways. Instead of numbers, it used names like the Harbor Freeway (I-110), the Golden State Freeway (I-5), the San Diego Freeway (I-405), the Pacific Coast Highway (CA-1), etc.
Yeah......I don't think that's it. Here in Western PA (Pittsburgh area)....we have all of that. Interstates, state highways, local highways, named highways that are also numbers, we even have colored "Belts" that go around the city "Orange Belt", "Red Belt", "Green Belt"....which are also on named and numbered roads. I think the "The" thing is just a California colloquialism....like how some places it's a "pancake", other's it's a "flapjack:, in other's it's a "griddle cake".

We have one thing about highway designations around here, that is a little different. That is the state routes that are designated "Route 8" or "Route 19" are not pronounced "root" but "rowt". Everyone knows that "Route 66" across the country is pronounced "root 66"...but around here, we have "rowt 8" and "rowt 22/30".

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Also there's the speed up from behind and cut in front of you hey! look at my car guy...it's always an eye roller to me..."idiots"

·
Premium Member
2014 rt shaker
750 Posts
Not sure what’s strange about getting on “the” freeway....
Especially when compared to getting on freeway.

But yes it is pretty normal for people to use slightly different vernacular if they grow up/live two thousand miles away from each other.

·
Registered
834 Posts
But yes it is pretty normal for people to use slightly different vernacular if they grow up/live two thousand miles away from each other.
I just call it the idiot conveyor.

I have a 144 mile roundtrip commute each day to work...99% of which are 55mph TN highways. I just drive my winter beater most days and join the mayhem if there's any mayhem to be had.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I was gonna make some smart-assed remark about paved-roads being a the hottest new idea in Tennessee, but then realized that I can't even go 3 miles from my house to my grandchildren's house without "turning off the paved road"....Jeff Foxworthy redneck joke. And here in western PA, we're the pothole capital of the U.S. and known for completely re-paved highways that have to be repaired after 2 years of use. Springtime around here is like driving in a mine field, when you're on 20" alloy wheels and low-profile tires.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts