Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am car shopping and got a hell of deal on a Challenger 2012 SRT, as well as a Super-bee SRT Charger (more leaning towards the charger due to the updated interior and features). I drove the Camaro SS which flat out felt slow vs my 6.1l, but the Mustang 5.0 to me was a monster, and I drove the convertible which just brings a whole new stage of joy while driving it. 5.0 just sounds incredible, and Ford can also install the super-charger at the dealership and I can keep my warranty, considering I like to build up that is a big plus as Chevrolet and Dodge do NOT do that.

Anyway, IS the 5.0 faster than the new 392? I see 0-60 of 4.5-4.6 which seems to be in the ball-park of the 6.4l 0-60, but the 5.0 to me felt a LOT more like the 6.1l HEMI than the 6.2l LS in the automatic Camaro which just felt super slow and sluggish, 5.0 def seems as fast as the 6.1l if not faster, and it just pulls for a lot longer and harder before shifting, tomorrow I am driving a Super-Bee 6.4l Charger. Though shifting on the automatic GT is beyond silly, no paddles, no slap-stick, just a button on the shifter for up and down.

Just trying to narrow things down, the convertible feature def brings an entirely different experience (you won't catch me in my SRT Challenger even in 30f weather with my windows up, always down) The 5.0 pulls like a monster though and as it goes past 6200 RPM all the way to 8k it just pulls relentlessly.

So I've narrowed my options down to the Challenger 392 (though really, I think it is a waste with the the updated 2015 so close) The Charger SRT-8 392, or the Mustang 5.0 GT Premium Convertible, or jump ship and buy a DD truck and buy an old Chevelle 454 (crazy...maybe) . Now considering used I can get a 2012 Charger SRT with just 6-10k miles for less than a 14 GT PREMIUM convertible new (save about 5-6k) (convertible jacks up the price big time) what would you guys go with, and what is actually faster?

And what is better in the long-run for building up? I haven't seen Dodge or Chevrolet offer anything let alone factory add-on Superchargers which FORD has apparently been doing for ages.

:redcap:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Had a 2005 Mustang GT convertible stick. My wife said it felt like a roller coaster when the top was down. It was a great car. Now have the RT. Love the RT's room and truck space.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I wouldn't buy a performance car with speed in mind (as you have stated) and then get a convertible version of it, it will be slower than the hardtop. Ripping the roof off ruins the performance imo.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I should have voiced my BIGGEST issue with the Mustang in AUTO. Instead of slapping left to right, or paddle shifting, it has annoying plus and minus gear buttons on the shifter. Though I mean just in Drive it seemed to fill in the voids I always felt with the 6.1l w\ the 5-Speed. I know the 2015 GT will have paddles, and push start on the center console, but yeah...big gripe of mine, not even a push-start car yet? I love restin' my wrist on the t-handle and just moving my wrist right or left to down or up shift. Buttons? Seriously...what the hell..., I'd say as it stands my 08 SRT still has MORE advanced features.

Piston, my response to you would be *MORE* with a side of RELIABILITY, I want a car I can build up. I can factory super-charge the 5.0. I am not hating on the SRT at all, the 6.4l as I said is a monster, and it is cheaper to buy right now with low miles. I enjoy the SRT in automatic more so than the GT. And yeah, they do stand out. Convertible is the main reason I'd get a GT. Can you imagine a Challenger in convertible? Woo-wee.

IF anyone here thinks I am saying the 5.0 GT is a more stand out car than they are seriously wrong. My SRT everywhere I go sparks a conversation or I get a wave or a thumbs up, I've hung onto this car throughout all the crap as everywhere I drive as it sparks conversations and people roll down their windows asking what I've done to it, and I never thought it would have so many issues (planned to keep it forever). I love the car to death, reason after all the problems I've still hung onto her. Challenger is a Challenger, pure retro. I love retro, I was beyond disappointed with the Camaro, but really the 5.0 Mustang, which I would ONLY get in convertible, was very fun. On that note I still wonder why Dodge has not made a convertible Challenger, talk about turning heads.

Do remember though, I have an 08 SRT which I have had for 5 years now. And the service you get for owning an SRT isn't exactly what you would expect, 7\10 the service dept screws up something else in the process, and there are only so many Dodge dealers you can go to, let alone that have SRTs and work on them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You didn't have to PM Rpaulg, lol. I read about the problems your SRT has had, but it was the first year of the Challenger. You can't just tarnish the Challenger's image based off your experience. My experience with my car has been great, and there's always negatives about any car but just cause it happens to you doesn't mean that everyone elses car sucks.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
They are close really, 6-speed 392 versus 5.0 is a driver's race. 392 automatic will beat either auto or stick 5.0 based on what I've seen.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ok all kidding aside my best friend has a 13 5.0 with Barton 6 speed, CAI and exhaust with tune and 295 pilot super sport tires and before I was blown we raced 4 times. 3 from a dig and once from 60 to 130 and I beat him all 4 times. It was close from a dig but stayed about a car length ahead. If you're caught sleeping they will beat you. But the challenger looks way better hands down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
537 Posts
I owned a 2012 Mustang GT and hated it. It was stock except for a Ford Racing tune. It pinged like crazy with that tune and the Gertrag manual transmission was horrible. I also hated the Ford Sync system. It was fast and they are easily modified. I don't own a Challenger yet, but hopefully will soon. I think they are different cars catering to a different crowd.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Get the SRT with a M6. The convertible will be heavier than a hard top. It will not be as rigid in turns. If you roll the car you will have your head ground into road pizza.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
880 Posts
I pulled a 12.2 and 12.3 STOCK at two different tracks, two different days with my 392. Aiming for 11s with drag radials, find a 5.0 that can do that...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Not till he buys the Mustang.Comes back bragging,and then won't go away!

Although I hope that's not the case.

But it's usually how it plays out.
What the heck? Why would I come back if I bought a Mustang? Good lord members here I'm noticing are super trollish, and I've been here for ages, guess this is the Challenger ego now, thought while looking through the Mustang forums they were bad, but...lol. There is only drama if you make it. I've pointed out why I don't like the Mustang and why I do, as well as why I don't like the SRT and do.

I'm looking at a 6.4l Super-bee with 6k on it tomorrow, people seriously start going :zlurking: like a bunch of little girls when asked about this vs this and the poster has to be quiet, it was a QUESTION. Also yeah I know the hard-top is lighter, the only way I'd get a 5.0 Mustang is IF it was a Convertible though, otherwise screw it, I'd get the SRT. driving the convertible was wicked fun, hard top, meh.

Also Pistons, I sent that just to give you an idea. Deep-down I feel like.. buying another SRT if I have problems with a NEW one, how do I *****? No crap the SRT's are better looking cars, and far better inside as well as outside. But they aren't convertibles. CONVERTIBLE was my KEY point in buying a 5.0. Yeah I want a SRT again, but it is hard to roll the dice on that when Chrysler techs are saying my louder than radio rear-end is "normal" on a SRT, not exactly chump change, and I bought the Challenger to keep for, well, ever, that didn't pan out.

·
Registered
883 Posts
This site is pretty fan based but I also belong to a jeep wrangler forum and wow.. Just ask the question "what lift is best for my jeep" and all hell breaks loose.

Get the challenger and you'll out class every mustang and only have to worry about GT500's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 497 Posts