Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say I told them three times in a row not to reflash my car. This is the third time they have had it but the guy looked at mr funny this time when I said it so I said it even again and expalined it had a Kenne Bell supercharger on it a a custom tune. It was in for the window sill runner crack as well as the keyless pushbutton start module went bad. About two hours later they come tell me they reflashed it and it wont start. saw the manager and he said well I didnt say anything since I didnt think they would reflash it. Anyway they paid for the tow to my speedshop guys and with Mike's and Vas' help at diablosport we recalibrated the car back to the old calibration number. Seems that when the dealer reflashes the car it advances the calibration number in my case from a c to a d. The Trinty read both the new calibration id and had the old one stored so we just forced the old calibration number in and the tunes alll worked again. Took about an hour to fix once we got diablo on the phone. I want to say a big thank you to Diablo for their help. The good news is the reflash upgrades all held too so actually in a perverse way I came out better at the end and pushbutton start works again as well. a happy ended !

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I'm kinda new at this and don't have a SC but can't you read the tune that someone puts in your car with the predator and save it to your computer so you can reinstall it?

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
recommended to put tape over the OBD2 port with a note "DO NOT REMOVE / DO NOT FLASH" . glad it worked out well for you in the end seasdad.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
I had that happen on a Diesel. I put a zip tie around it so they couldn't plug in. That didn't stop them.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
First let me say I told them three times in a row not to reflash my car. This is the third time they have had it but the guy looked at me funny this time when I said it so I said it even again and explained it had a Kenne Bell supercharger on it a a custom tune. It was in for the window sill runner crack as well as the keyless pushbutton start module went bad. About two hours later they come tell me they reflashed it and it wont start. saw the manager and he said well I didnt say anything since I didnt think they would reflash it. Anyway they paid for the tow to my speedshop guys and !
They only paid for the tow !!!! What about whatever it cost at your Speedshop???:scratchhead:

I had that happen on a Diesel. I put a zip tie around it so they couldn't plug in. That didn't stop them.
Guys, it almost sounds/seems like these so-called mechanics did this or do this on purpose !!!! I suppose one has to get these instructions in writing..then if one had the money and time could sue a dealership....then perhaps those :icon_evil:mechanics won't be looking so funny... at you !!!:disgust:!

·
Registered
954 Posts
put a tag on it that says ,i will sue you personally if you reflash my car!im not sure if''i will hunt you down and gut you like a fish if you reflash my car''is legal!

·
Registered
72 Posts
just shows how brain dead and out of touch with performance vehicles these winners are that lay there finger on our hotrods. glad you got it sorted out. a good service manager would dock that lame a days pay. is that the last time you go there for warrenty work?

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
I'm kinda new at this and don't have a SC but can't you read the tune that someone puts in your car with the predator and save it to your computer so you can reinstall it?

No you cant you have to download the tune back from your car into the Predator and upload you stock tune back in. you can only have one active tune at a time. So in the S/C situation if he switched tunes he car wouldnt run.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
For all of you incredulous people wanting to see the dealer do even more, or pay more; please realize that bringing a heavily modded machine into a dealer is a inherently dangerous voluntary activity on the part of the owner.

They see 99.9% stock vehicles, and even warn that modifications may void warranties, and they also may just refuse to work on modded vehicles.

There are mod-friendly dealers out there, but even they have to fight inertia -- a car that becomes inoperative when the now-routine activity of flashing the car to update it is not only usual, it is often *the* fix to a problem with the car's behavior, i.e. if they can solve a problem in software versus a hardware change, you can bet that's how they will approach it these days. I know what I am talking about on that score. As examples, witness the S/W changes for the flickering lights, and for the 6 speed nibble issue -- both of which are actually hardware issues, but were attempted to be 'addressed' -- at least to some degree-- in code. Many other examples.

If I was a dealer, and knew the tendencies and capabilities of my techs, and I saw a heavily modded car come in, where the owner (for very good reasons of his own) told me I could not flash the car, I'd explain nicely that that tied my hands, and unless there is a clearly and obviously physically broken part, that can be readily seen and bolted right in, that any other attempts to get engine (or starting or electrical) warranty service cannot be facilitated under those conditions.

I imagine this post will raise the ire of one or both 'camps', but I post it in an honest attempt to get people to consider both sides of the coin. Sometimes we make our bed radically custom, and sometimes we have to lie down in it... alone.

All things considered, I think this was a pretty positive outcome, considering various other things that might have gone wrong and didn't.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm a tech for a different manufacturer. We reflash control units all the time. If I knew not to reflash a car because it has an aftermarket tune I wouldn't. Don't blame the tech. A lot of times the service advisor does not communicate very well. I remember one car needed to have the tcm flashed and readapted but it had an aftermarket tune so we told the customer what needed to be done and he had his tuner come in a reinstall the stock tune and then the aftermarket tune after we were done. You just need to find a performance friendly dealership and more importantly a performance friendly technician.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok actually not the tech’s fault. He walked up to the car from behind the hood was open and ironically two mechanics looking at the set up. He drops in and reflashes it –they look over and say hey did you know this thing has a supercharger on it—he knew right away there was going to be a problem but too late—damage done. Once you get over the initial shock and calm down I have to say they were great about it. The guy who checked me in confirmed I told him not once, not twice but three times. He said he didn’t write it down because he didn’t think they would reflash the car. Someone posted they fix a lot of stuff by software now and that is very much true. They didn’t actually put a new module in they upgraded the software. Apparently the pushbutton start does not like the heat. My car is mostly in the garage but the day it stopped working it sat out in the sun for a few hours. It is a software glitch something about a heat sensor that should have nothing to do with the pushstart but once it gets to a certain temp its shuts down the pushstart. Apparently if you let the car cool off it will work again. Later that same day I dropped my keyfob and it got damaged. The weird thing was the keyfob would start the car remotely and open the doors but it would not be detected by the pushbutton start module so I could not get it to drive. I tried another key fob and it didn’t work either. If I had put it in the garage and waited and used the non damaged key fob it would have worked but I didn’t know that at the time.
Anyway I was fine with the tow—they wanted to work on it themselves but I said no way tow me. The guys at my speedshop spoke with Diablo for about 10 mins then we changed the calibration id back to the last id and loaded a tune from the trinity and started right up. At first there was a slight difference in the tune but the tcm adjustment has brought it around to even a slightly improved tune. They didn’t charge me anything but I did most of the work all they did really was talk to Diablo. Besides I bring them good whisky often!

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
That's exactly what happens when you let those dipsticks screw with your car...You could of kept the new number all it takes is that you pull your tune out so that it can be re-flashed then send it to the tuner and he can update your tune then download it back into your car trinity and all will be good the biggest problem is that most dealerships don't get it and will screw you up. Glad it worked out for you hopefully lessons learned at the dealership.

First let me say I told them three times in a row not to reflash my car. This is the third time they have had it but the guy looked at mr funny this time when I said it so I said it even again and expalined it had a Kenne Bell supercharger on it a a custom tune. It was in for the window sill runner crack as well as the keyless pushbutton start module went bad. About two hours later they come tell me they reflashed it and it wont start. saw the manager and he said well I didnt say anything since I didnt think they would reflash it. Anyway they paid for the tow to my speedshop guys and with Mike's and Vas' help at diablosport we recalibrated the car back to the old calibration number. Seems that when the dealer reflashes the car it advances the calibration number in my case from a c to a d. The Trinty read both the new calibration id and had the old one stored so we just forced the old calibration number in and the tunes alll worked again. Took about an hour to fix once we got diablo on the phone. I want to say a big thank you to Diablo for their help. The good news is the reflash upgrades all held too so actually in a perverse way I came out better at the end and pushbutton start works again as well. a happy ended !

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My solution:

There's maybe 2 screws that hold the OBDII port in place.
Remove them, jam the port up under the dash somewhere, and forget about it.

They wont spend more than 30 seconds looking for it, and when they can't find it, maybe it will ring a bell with someone that they were not supposed to flash it...lol.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I'm wondering if you can set a mouse trap next to this 'flasher unit'...so next time their fingers get caught !! Or can one of those "Don't Taze Me Bro" devices be taped and set to automatic ..... then sit back and watch from the Service Dept. waiting room...see if mechanicos give you another "funny look" !!:bigthumb:!

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
This can also be dangerous. I've heard of instances where supercharged cars are reflashed. Due to the map values, once the car is started it instantly goes WOT.

My Interceptor gauge plugs in to my OBDII port and I put a Magnacharger bright yellow label on that that reads "custom calibration do not flash".

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man 70ta who the F is that chick wow!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts