Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a way or anyone that has converted their ebrake to hand operation? When I park I feel like I'm parking a truck and if I'm being completely honest, I'm thinking about taking it out on some "spirited" outings where a hand brake will be beneficial.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
I have a stick so the ebrake is essential. I felt like the foot ebrake was a huge design flaw on these cars at least for the stick guys, one thing I hate about the car. never heard of anybody doing it. But all your doing is routing the cable, shouldn't be to hard.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Yes there's an electricly operated system out there I believe American shifters has it on their site, (cables combined with servo motors) it's not that bad I think 300 not sure though...my issues with electronics is if it fails at the wrong time in the wrong spot it could ruin you day...cable is always better, but to reroute it could be a big pain, you'd have to rig up a hand mechanism, mount it somewhere somehow at the console, and that's just the top half part, then you have to deal with the intense heat coming from the mid pipes that can possibly turn your cable into butter in short order, the cable would have to be housed or ecapsolated in some fashion not to mention the re-routing of the cable itself, which leads us to the question is it worth doing for the big grunting lean over to the brake pedal? food for thought

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Dodge forgot to add a floor button for high and low beams to go with the foot ebrake lol...I know, I'm an old dude.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I so wish I had a foot button for high beams. Haven't had one since my 79 Chevy pickup.

And I want a metal key, and an analog clock in the dashboard, and an 8-track tape deck that plays Boston all the time.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I so wish I had a foot button for high beams. Haven't had one since my 79 Chevy pickup.

And I want a metal key, and an analog clock in the dashboard, and an 8-track tape deck that plays Boston all the time.
I wish it was anywhere other than the blinker stalk.

Nothing like being careless and manhandling your the stalk and accidentally flashing someone in front of you when you just meant to turn.

EDIT: Just for the record, I don't make it a habit of manhandling my stalk and flashing people in front of me...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. Yeah I didn't think about the midpipe heat issue. Crap. I have a manual also but the ebrake being on the floor is just freakish to me.

Thanks all

·
Registered
119 Posts
They managed to make a traditional hand operated e-brake for the Dodge Viper. But they needed a 4th pedal for 6MT challengers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts

Parents had that in an old late 80s ford van lol.

My guess is people were hitting and flashing people, and people were searching for it with their feet and accidentally hitting the break etc.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Parents had that in an old late 80s ford van lol.

My guess is people were hitting and flashing people, and people were searching for it with their feet and accidentally hitting the break etc.
Yeah......that's not it. They were way over on the left side, a good 12 inches from the brake pedal.

Euro cars had them first, Japanese followed. In the 70's, as American cars started getting competition from imports, they emulated some of the features of the imports, and this was one of them.

Frankly I find removing my hand from the steering wheel to dim the lights, especially in bad road conditions, to be a little unsafe. Also unsafe if you have to dim your lights when in a sharp curve and have both hands on the wheel. Under normal conditions (at night), driving with one hand on the wheel, it's not a problem. It's those "two-hands needed" situations that make dimming the light from the turn-signal stalk, a problem. And, of course, how many of us have flashed the high-beams on someone while putting on the turn signal? Just about everybody. Another example of an change that created an unnecessary problem. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the floor mounted dimmer switch. In an automatic-transmission car, your left foot does absolutely nothing while you drive. And the turn signal lever did just that, and nothing else. Headlights on/off? Their own switch. Wipers? Separate switch. Now everythig is gaggled together on one or two stalks. The wiper controls on my Pilot are like something out of a fighter jet. All I need is Low/High/Off. I'm pretty sure with the correct combination of switches on the Stalk, I can get to to send morse code signals to other drivers.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
... and if I'm being completely honest, I'm thinking about taking it out on some "spirited" outings where a hand brake will be beneficial.
Any "spirited outings" that combines a Dodge Challenger and which requires a hand brake reads like a recipe for disaster. Be sure to have a securely mounted dash cam working during these spirited outings...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Man i feel your pain . Theres 4 freaking pedals in the footwell. The only thing i can think of is to install a hydro E-brake with a lock on it. Mostly used for drifting, but it would be interesting to mount a hydro like a traditional e-brake haha and what the hell you could even go drifting

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yeah......that's not it. They were way over on the left side, a good 12 inches from the brake pedal.

Euro cars had them first, Japanese followed. In the 70's, as American cars started getting competition from imports, they emulated some of the features of the imports, and this was one of them.

Frankly I find removing my hand from the steering wheel to dim the lights, especially in bad road conditions, to be a little unsafe. Also unsafe if you have to dim your lights when in a sharp curve and have both hands on the wheel. Under normal conditions (at night), driving with one hand on the wheel, it's not a problem. It's those "two-hands needed" situations that make dimming the light from the turn-signal stalk, a problem. And, of course, how many of us have flashed the high-beams on someone while putting on the turn signal? Just about everybody. Another example of an change that created an unnecessary problem. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the floor mounted dimmer switch. In an automatic-transmission car, your left foot does absolutely nothing while you drive. And the turn signal lever did just that, and nothing else. Headlights on/off? Their own switch. Wipers? Separate switch. Now everythig is gaggled together on one or two stalks. The wiper controls on my Pilot are like something out of a fighter jet. All I need is Low/High/Off. I'm pretty sure with the correct combination of switches on the Stalk, I can get to to send morse code signals to other drivers.

Absolutely right about the dimmer switch. Don’t know why they ever changed it. A cool thing my ‘68 Mustang had was a small pedal near the dimmer switch that activated the wipers. I convinced my girlfriend that it was a rain sensor on the windshield that turned them on. Little did I know that 40 years in the future the sensors would be standard fare on some cars!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
I would also would like a foot-operated headlight dimmer switch.

However, since I have an automatic, I don't mind the floor-mounted e-brake. It makes the console area look much cleaner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts