Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just placed an order for a Scat Pack and I had a question for you SRT guys (since the SP is closer to that then the R/T).

Do any of you drive in the snow? How did it drive? Did you get different wheels? How did they fit with the brembos?

I, unfortunately, have to use my car in the winter as I have pretty limited space for now. I don't have the room for a second car (I also don't want to shell out for the insurance haha), so I was looking for people in the same boat.

So, how is it?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Good snow tires and you'll be fine, I drive mine all year 'round.

You'll need large rims (I bought 18" to fit over the Brembos)

With the heated seats and steering wheel, it's actually a nice drive in winter.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good snow tires and you'll be fine, I drive mine all year 'round.

You'll need large rims (I bought 18" to fit over the Brembos)

With the heated seats and steering wheel, it's actually a nice drive in winter.
Would my 18" Charger Steelies work?

I haven't found a definitive answer.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You may also take a look at the Dodge Charger Pursuit AWD steel rims. They're like $100 a piece and have the off set of the AWD's due to it's suspension components. It may be enough clearance to fit over the Brembo's. Don't quote me on that though.

Big car, weighs a ton. Get studded tires, go light on the peddle and I think you'll be fine honestly. I have driven RWD before and I live in Alaska. Never had a problem even in real deep stuff, but I got the best studded tires I could fine (Hakkapllitta's)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm. Are there more than 1 type of pursuit rim? I have some that I bought in 2012 from the dealer

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,022 Posts
Steeliness don't work I tried on my car. They will clear the rear brakes
But not the larger brembos in front. I drive my car year round. As noted
Good winter tires are key. You have limited expensive choices in the
245/45/20 size. If your state allows studs I would go that route.
I run perilli scorpion snow and ice. Most people here in Alaska if not
Running studs seem to swear by blizzacks

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,022 Posts
907 might well be right about the awd pursuit wheels. When I tired it was
Several years and that was not a presented option.

Ironside, what wheels are you using? Thanks

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Steeliness don't work I tried on my car. They will clear the rear brakes
But not the larger brembos in front. I drive my car year round. As noted
Good winter tires are key. You have limited expensive choices in the
245/45/20 size. If your state allows studs I would go that route.
I run perilli scorpion snow and ice. Most people here in Alaska if not
Running studs seem to swear by blizzacks
I can't speak for Alaska but I think studs would be a mistake in the northeast. Our roads get cleared and there are many days of wet and dry pavement, probably well more than snow covered days. Not only would studs greatly increase noise but I think they would compromise traction on wet/dry days.

Also from what I understand, blizzaks are more suited to icy / hard packed snow than fresh fallen snow. I have had excellent results with Michelin Ice but I am not sure they make a 20"

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't speak for Alaska but I think studs would be a mistake in the northeast. Our roads get cleared and there are many days of wet and dry pavement, probably well more than snow covered days. Not only would studs greatly increase noise but I think they would compromise traction on wet/dry days.

Also from what I understand, blizzaks are more suited to icy / hard packed snow than fresh fallen snow. I have had excellent results with Michelin Ice but I am not sure they make a 20"
If I get a 20" then I'm mostly stuck with pireli (spelling) snow tires

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hmm. Are there more than 1 type of pursuit rim? I have some that I bought in 2012 from the dealer

WHEEL-STEEL | Genuine Mopar | 68206561AA

AWD Dodge Charger Pursuit rims FTW! They were introduced just this year in AWD and the Hemi.

Chrysler Introduces AWD Police Charger for 2014 - News - POLICE Magazine

The AWD's have a very unique off set so it may be just enough to have clearance for the Brembo's. As it's also very difficult for me to find rims for my AWD because of this unique offset. I suggest taking the 392 to the local DCX dealership and test fitting a rim on the front tires to see if they fit or not. :thumbsup:

I was thinking of picking up some rims and test fitting some fat drag radials in the rear.. :sneaky:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WHEEL-STEEL | Genuine Mopar | 68206561AA

AWD Dodge Charger Pursuit rims FTW! They were introduced just this year in AWD and the Hemi.

Chrysler Introduces AWD Police Charger for 2014 - News - POLICE Magazine

The AWD's have a very unique off set so it may be just enough to have clearance for the Brembo's. As it's also very difficult for me to find rims for my AWD because of this unique offset. I suggest taking the 392 to the local DCX dealership and test fitting a rim on the front tires to see if they fit or not. :thumbsup:

I was thinking of picking up some rims and test fitting some fat drag radials in the rear.. :sneaky:
What's a dcx dealership?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great, I'm gonna see if those will work. Otherwise I'm gonna have to get 20 inch ones and I don't like the price haha

·
Premium Member
10,437 Posts
Hey guys,

I just placed an order for a Scat Pack and I had a question for you SRT guys (since the SP is closer to that then the R/T).

Do any of you drive in the snow? How did it drive? Did you get different wheels? How did they fit with the brembos?

I, unfortunately, have to use my car in the winter as I have pretty limited space for now. I don't have the room for a second car (I also don't want to shell out for the insurance haha), so I was looking for people in the same boat.

So, how is it?
Once upon a time, I had (notice past tense?) a SWEET Mustang and I went out for a drive in the winter leaving my nice 4 wheel drive truck home.
Out of nowhere there was an unexpected snowfall, not too bad but enough to cover the roads and wreak havoc. I approached a traffic light turning amber and slowed down behind the car in front of me and he started to go throught the light and then hesitated and hit the brakes hard. My reaction was to hit my brakes to but my AWESOME Mustang didn't grip the road as well as I would have liked and although I had a good amount of space behind him I slid, spun and WHACKED him and sent him (home run) through the now RED light. Fortunately he didn't get hit by cross traffic but I still got sued.
My formerly beautiful car was screwed and after it was put back to pristine shape it was promptly sold as I didn't want a wrecked and repaired car anymore.
The moral to the story is a performance car (rear wheel drve) shouldn't go out to play in the snow, the insurance you don't want to pay for isn't far different than the deductible you'll pay on your now wrecked car. You will then be like me wishing you still had that awesome and beautiful NEVER damaged car. Hey, the bright spot for me was my pick up was was sitting in all it's shiny glory in the driveway without a blemish on it........My Challenger will never suffer that fate as I learn from my mistakes and don't repeat them.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Once upon a time, I had (notice past tense?) a SWEET Mustang and I went out for a drive in the winter leaving my nice 4 wheel drive truck home.
Out of nowhere there was an unexpected snowfall, not too bad but enough to cover the roads and wreak havoc. I approached a traffic light turning amber and slowed down behind the car in front of me and he started to go throught the light and then hesitated and hit the brakes hard. My reaction was to hit my brakes to but my AWESOME Mustang didn't grip the road as well as I would have liked and although I had a good amount of space behind him I slid, spun and WHACKED him and sent him (home run) through the now RED light. Fortunately he didn't get hit by cross traffic but I still got sued.
My formerly beautiful car was screwed and after it was put back to pristine shape it was promptly sold as I didn't want a wrecked and repaired car anymore.
The moral to the story is a performance car (rear wheel drve) shouldn't go out to play in the snow, the insurance you don't want to pay for isn't far different than the deductible you'll pay on your now wrecked car. You will then be like me wishing you still had that awesome and beautiful NEVER damaged car. Hey, the bright spot for me was my pick up was was sitting in all it's shiny glory in the driveway without a blemish on it........My Challenger will never suffer that fate as I learn from my mistakes and don't repeat them.
I mean I can understand that. However, I drove my charger through everything. It was RWD. I put snow tires on it and it drove like a dream. I can't imagine that a challenger would be that far off with Snows and weight in the trunk. It's a heavy car

Reactions: LX_907

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I have Michelin ice on my Mustang in the winter. As long as I drive appropriately for the conditions I have NO ISSUES

·
Registered
978 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great! Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
Snow tires. Snow tires. Snow tires.

Did I mention snow tires? Get four and there won't be any problem. In fact, using purpose use snow tires will allow our cars to go much better in the snow than most front-drive cars with all season tires.

I don't know why everyone is so afraid of driving their Challenger in the snow. If you don't want to, then fine. If you have to, then just get snow tires like Winterforce, Blizzacks, ect.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.