Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Are you chasing hp or a faster 1/4 time?

You have to answer this question first.

Seems like making any kind of big power on these is a mission.

If I were in your shoes , i would go abouts getting an aggressive trans tune (engine tune wouldnt hurt either), put her on some slicks and get a nice suspension setup to transfer the power.

And maybe a 50-100 shot for those enriched street driving moments.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
The truth is you're not going to be able to do anything to improve the performance of a naturally aspirated 3.6L engine that hasn't already been done at the factory. The Pentastars are already running at peak performance. Forced induction aside, there is really only one thing you can do that will make a noticeable difference - replace the 2.65 open diff with a 3.91 LSD.

You're not adding any HP/TQ with a lower geared rear-end, but it certainly feels like it...and that's all that really counts.

·
Super Moderator
12,972 Posts
I don't think you can get a tune on a 2018 or 2019 SXT. At least I haven't found a site offering it. Diablo does support the 5.7L and the 6.4L though.
Diablosport doesn't do the 2017+ 3.6L yet, but HP tuners will tune up to 2019 3.6L

A Guy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just to add my $.02, I recently added a Pedal Commander to my 2011 SRT8. I really like it, it makes the car feel like, frankly, it should have felt from the factory. My biggest complaint was that I felt the throttle response was 'laggy' and strange - not linear if you get my drift. Sure, if you 'mat it', the car takes off, but even then, I still felt a bit of a lag.

Disclaimer: this is my first 'modern muscle car' with 'drive by wire' throttle control. I come from the world of 'old school muscle cars' highly modded, BIG cubic inch N/A with mechanical throttle cables and instantaneous response.

To state the OBVIOUS, it doesn't add any HP but in my view, makes what already exists pretty much instantaneously available.

Anyway, my Mopar is now much more fun to drive, and it feels like it has 470 crank HP and 470 lb ft (even if it is 4200 lbs). Very light pedal pressure illicits plenty of response. I do most of my cruising in sport and sport+ modes. It pretty much flips the script especially in sport+ mode whereby depressing the pedal maybe 10% seems like it opens the TB 50% or more. I am sure that similar results could be achieved by remapping the throttle, but although the $250 I paid for it seems pretty pricey, the grin it put on my face was worth every penny.

When driving in Sport+ +4, it is near impossible to take off from a red light and not spin the tires even with traction control on and would not be recommended in heavy traffic or if there happens to be a police cruiser nearby. It also makes it extremely difficult to stay under the speed limit. Even the lightest touch on the pedal has you @ 70+ MPH PDQ.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I got the Pedal Commander installed today. Yeah, you get nearly instant power. It's much more like the classic cars I've owned in the past. Or if you've never driven one, you might think it's like a go-cart. Press the pedal and you're going. The sport mode really does make the car more fun to drive. The sport+ is very jerky and impractical to me, but still amusing I guess. I didn't try to burn rubber but I'm sure you could easily do that if that's your thing.
Installation is fairly easy. Takes 10 to 20 minutes. The hardest part is removing the two plastic tabs that hold the cover under the dash in place. I had a very hard time getting the left one off and nearly had to mangle it. Also you have to get down pretty low and work in a tight space, but if my old fat ass could do it then most people will have no problem. lol. They do tell you to make sure your key fobs are 40 feet away when installing. I heard someone say they blew an airbag installing one, so I took the extra precaution of removing a battery terminal before installing. It's so nice to have the battery in a clean area of the trunk.

I didn't use the bluetooth feature. I can't imagine why I ever would. I guess if you want to put the thing out of site it might be useful. I also didn't use the mounting tape to mount it, because the Challenger has a little net pocket to put it in, which seems almost designed for it.

Is it worth $250? I say yes. If you're paying $30,000 for a car, spending $250 to make it more fun to drive seems like a good deal to me. If Dodge added such a feature that you could control through the display they could charge way more than $250 for it and most people would opt for it I would think.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
The truth is you're not going to be able to do anything to improve the performance of a naturally aspirated 3.6L engine that hasn't already been done at the factory.
Actually if you look at the HP tuner forum, there are tuners like Hemituna that state the 3.6L does benefit from tweaks to VVT tables. The cams swing for optimum emissions and not power. Although, no actual gain numbers were provided. :dunno:

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Just to add my $.02, I recently added a Pedal Commander to my 2011 SRT8. I really like it, it makes the car feel like, frankly, it should have felt from the factory. My biggest complaint was that I felt the throttle response was 'laggy' and strange - not linear if you get my drift. Sure, if you 'mat it', the car takes off, but even then, I still felt a bit of a lag.
Well the stock tunes pull quite a bit of timing as you tip-in the throttle. And depending on temperatures and what octane you are running, knock can start showing up which pulls even more timing.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well the stock tunes pull quite a bit of timing as you tip-in the throttle. And depending on temperatures and what octane you are running, knock can start showing up which pulls even more timing.
Interesting.

I run 93 octane exclusively, and love taking the mopar for a spin in cool dry (dense) air. Going to have to get a custom tune when I install the procharger kit next month anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great discussion. When I wrote up my factory order I swapped out the stock 2.65 rear end for the Super Track Pack, having driven both at the dealership. The STP with the 3.7 gearing feels much quicker off the line and will spin the tires if I tromp on it (which at close to $300 per tire I rarely do). I’m intrigued by the Throttle Commander!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Of course everyone forgets the guy who proved you all wrong, took a bone stock 3.6 challenger from 15.2 at 92 mph 1/4 mile to 13.9 @ over 100 mph using just bolt on's that anyone can do (can tune to boot) and provided lots of data how to make a 3.6 go fast. 5.0 0-60 times NA and 4.0 supercharged.

Even than, many of you still tell others there's nothing to improve on.

So many special folks on this earth. I guess there has to be.........

As of today, I still don't know anyone who has cracked the 13's NA like I did. Even had a few mods to even get mid 13's if so wanted at that time.

Then I supercharged it to 12.5 at 108 mph on a good air day, proof on paper 12.8 at 106 with a 1.7x 60ft time on a crappy day.

So I guess nothing improves performance, haven't seen any proof, nothing improves power, the factory did all the work and made it 100% efficient with no room to get more out of it, so don't bother, anyone who says different from this don't believe them, they know nothing and spreading false hp claims.

This is the mindset of 98% of the long term v6 challenger owners on this website. Argued for years with these folks, even with proof, got ousted. Such #$%^&*( many of them.

Carry on.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Great discussion. When I wrote up my factory order I swapped out the stock 2.65 rear end for the Super Track Pack, having driven both at the dealership. The STP with the 3.7 gearing feels much quicker off the line and will spin the tires if I tromp on it (which at close to $300 per tire I rarely do). I’m intrigued by the Throttle Commander!
3.70 gears or 3.07? I just bought a 2019 GT RWD and it has the 3.07's - sure could use 3.70's!

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
3.70 gears or 3.07? I just bought a 2019 GT RWD and it has the 3.07's - sure could use 3.70's!
Has to be 3.07.

3.7 isn’t a ratio offered from factory AFAIK, though it seams like I remember seeing someone had found out Richmond Gears made a replacement set of gears for their LX’s 3rd member that was in a 3.7ish ratio.

So it is possible a Challenger could end up with a 3.7 gear ratio in rear end, but it wouldn’t be stock and would have to have been purchased aftermarket and swapped out with gears that came in car’s pumpkin.

That’s my understanding on it anyway...If I’m wrong, hopefully someone will pipe up and correct me so we can all be on the same page!

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Of course everyone forgets the guy who proved you all wrong, took a bone stock 3.6 challenger from 15.2 at 92 mph 1/4 mile to 13.9 @ over 100 mph using just bolt on's that anyone can do (can tune to boot) and provided lots of data how to make a 3.6 go fast. 5.0 0-60 times NA and 4.0 supercharged.

Even than, many of you still tell others there's nothing to improve on.

So many special folks on this earth. I guess there has to be.........

As of today, I still don't know anyone who has cracked the 13's NA like I did. Even had a few mods to even get mid 13's if so wanted at that time.

Then I supercharged it to 12.5 at 108 mph on a good air day, proof on paper 12.8 at 106 with a 1.7x 60ft time on a crappy day.

So I guess nothing improves performance, haven't seen any proof, nothing improves power, the factory did all the work and made it 100% efficient with no room to get more out of it, so don't bother, anyone who says different from this don't believe them, they know nothing and spreading false hp claims.

This is the mindset of 98% of the long term v6 challenger owners on this website. Argued for years with these folks, even with proof, got ousted. Such #$%^&*( many of them.

Carry on.
I think it's the cost of the bolt-ons that makes people not want to believe it is worth it...especially if you can get a used Hell Cat.

BTW - if you go on the HP tuners forum there are a couple of tuners that claim the 3.6 responds well to VVT tweaks of the stock cams...especially when running forced induction. On the Hemis it is a different story, playing with VVT on a stock cam gains you nada if running NA.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts