Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I use 89 octane normally, but last night I did fill up with ethonal free 90 octane just cause it was there. Where I live (Tampa area) we have 87, 89,93

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Premium 93 only. Period. Zero Exceptions. And only Shell gas at that.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,112 Posts
Agreed. Decades of "playing" with various octanes have shown me that more octane than the car is tuned for, is a waste. No benefit at all.

With my R/T, I've used Casey's 89, which is a ethanl blend, or Shell 89, which I believe is not a blend. These are the only two stations in our little town.

The car runs/performs fine on either, with maybe an edge to the Shell.

No detonation problems, great driveability, and no other problems. I've mostly used the Casey's since Sept, with an occasional Shell top off or fill. For the heck of it I'm going to try and use the Shell most of the time.

I did try the Shell 91 (highest rating around here), and I can't say that the car performed any better with it. Back to my original statement that without a tune, it's doing nothing.

I've always used Ethanol blends in my vehicles since the mid 70's, and I've never had any issues with anything. I've been a firm believer in changing the fuel filters every 20/30k or so, but the Challenger doesn't have one, so............

·
Registered
81 Posts
What year Challenger with what engine? Check your owner's manual. My 2010 R/T w/manual transmission requires 91 or higher. I run Shell 93. An automatic 2010 R/T can run 87-89, with 89 recommended (same for the 2010 SE).

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Premium 93 only. Period. Zero Exceptions. And only Shell gas at that.

Ugg!! Could you support a company that does not buy crude from countries that would do us harm?
PM me and I'll send you a list.

I agree, 93 is not necessary unless tuned for it. 89 should be fine - even with the ethanol blend.
Just check your owners manual and go with it unless you have really modified your ride.. Cheers....

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Ugg!! Could you support a company that does not buy crude from countries that would do us harm?
PM me and I'll send you a list.

I agree, 93 is not necessary unless tuned for it. 89 should be fine - even with the ethanol blend.
Just check your owners manual and go with it unless you have really modified your ride.. Cheers....
On the 6-speed, 91 Premium is recommended. Also, I recall reading several articles, that today's computers and diagnostics in cars make adjustments based on fuel used. This was the case with my G35. Lower octane, computer retards the timing, and higher octane, adjusts accordingly with increase in performance accordingly.

I just use Premium because it's recommended. It just happens that around here Premium is 93 octane. When I'm in Texas it's usually 91 octane.

I could care less about where the oil comes from, and what country. Easy solution to that problem is to open up drilling here, but the greenies won't allow it, so whatever. And there aren't any friendly countries out there, so dig enough, and you can just about find a reason to not want to buy anything not 100% made in the U.S.A. What's better, BP? Exxon? Oh, I know, how about Lukoil? Let's give Gasprom and the Russians some more money.

EDIT: I'm going to run down to my car here in a bit, and look again in my owner's manual...before people pounce, but I am sure I read somewhere it required Premium...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I should have given more details. I am planning on getting a 2011 R/T automatic. But it seems like the consensus is 89. I will certainly check the manual when I get the car

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
EDIT: I'm going to run down to my car here in a bit, and look again in my owner's manual...before people pounce, but I am sure I read somewhere it required Premium...
....you're right. It's 91+ for the manual and 87-89 for the auto. Dodge states that there is no benefit of running anything more than 89 in the auto.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
correct on the 91+ i run 91 CAI tune with 93 due to knox issues

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have the 2010 R/T 6 speed and manual says 91 octane. I hope no one is skimping on the proper octane for their Challenger. You may pay 10 cents more a gallon so a full tank thats only $1.90 more so please dont skimp.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Many believe 91 is "better" than 87 or 89. It's not true; they merely serve different purposes. Ninety-one octane has a higher percentage of eight-chain molecules, which are more resistant to detonation from compression; as such, 91 should be used for higher-compression engines, like the R/T manual's 10.5-1 compression engine.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have the 2010 R/T 6 speed and manual says 91 octane. I hope no one is skimping on the proper octane for their Challenger. You may pay 10 cents more a gallon so a full tank thats only $1.90 more so please dont skimp.
....again, (for clarification) the manual states 91 for the 6 speed and 87-89 for the auto.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Many believe 91 is "better" than 87 or 89. It's not true; they merely serve different purposes. Ninety-one octane has a higher percentage of eight-chain molecules, which are more resistant to detonation from compression; as such, 91 should be used for higher-compression engines, like the R/T manual's 10.5-1 compression engine.
....the auto 5.7 is also 10.5:1 from my understanding.

2008-2011 Dodge Challenger car specifications

·
Registered
50 Posts
....again, (for clarification) the manual states 91 for the 6 speed and 87-89 for the auto.
Correct. I believe the manual says something like 87 will work, but 89 is recommended for the RT auto. Not sure of the exact verbiage.

Been running 87 in mine (automatic) since I bought it in February. Ran a tank of 91 through it one time just to see if there was a big difference. Didn't really notice any.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Correct. I believe the manual says something like 87 will work, but 89 is recommended for the RT auto. Not sure of the exact verbiage.

Been running 87 in mine (automatic) since I bought it in February. Ran a tank of 91 through it one time just to see if there was a big difference. Didn't really notice any.
IIRC, it says 91 is "preferred" in the 6 speed (although you can run a lower octane if needed) and that anything more than 89 is a waste in the auto.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2010 r/t auto runs just as good on 87 octane as 89. The same was true with the awd r/t magnum and 3.5 lter 300 touring. Never have tried premium in any of them. The magnum and the 300 went almost 100k each before i got rid of them. The only engine issue i have ever had with any of them was a runner position sensor on the 300 that set off a check engine light at 90k. Save your money, buy only what you need.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
So if I understand all of this correctly, what I should do is buy a Predator, and use the 93 Octane tune, and just run that. Ok, sounds good!:guiness:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would be more concerned about whether or not you are actually getting premium ... there are states that do not require octane testing (like Ohio). It is not uncommon for gas stations to scam customers under those circumstances into buying what they think is 93 but is actually 89 or worse. In Ohio it is up to the county to police octane testing and whether or not they even do it ... my county does so I try to buy my gas nearby.

There have been several news stories about gas stations doing this periodically.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.