Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that I've probably seen all of the current concept drawings, as well as all of the current pre-production concept photos and 'spy shots', but I'm yet to locate the actual fuel filler cap location. I was hoping that it would at least be located within the right rear quarter panel as with the 70's era models, but I don't see any sign of it over there either. Where might it be located. :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its probably on the passengers side 1/4 panel like it was on 70-74. The only other alternative is that there is a fuel cell in the trunk and they fill it up there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i like the idea of it behind the plate, will look clean without the cap on the outside and it will be like the good ol' days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Boostlee said:
i like the idea of it behind the plate, will look clean without the cap on the outside and it will be like the good ol' days.
Behind the plate makes it easy to pull up to the pump without facing the wrong way. If you have several cars with different side filler positions it can be a pain in the A$$... :p

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
04SRT4MAN said:
Behind the plate makes it easy to pull up to the pump without facing the wrong way. If you have several cars with different side filler positions it can be a pain in the A$$... :p
That's certainly a good point, 'cause I refuse to drag the fuel hose across my rear decklid to avoid scratching the paint...just for a tank of gas. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
allhemi said:
I don't think they can put it in the back....Something to do with rear end crashs...
I think it has more to do with gas vapors getting into the passenger compartment. That, and I doubt DCX wants to hear customer complaints about gasoline accumulating in the trunk of a brand new car from inevitable spillage at the pump... The tank is in the rear for almost every car on the road today, so tank placement and crash safety have been overdone (thanks to the Pinto).

·
Registered
17 Posts
allhemi said:
Yeah I know the tank is in the back it's the filler neck, I don't think the goverment will let them run the filler neck out the back anymore.....
This is a little off-topic, but there have been some crazy places for gas caps. One of my favorites was the 56-57 Chevy Belair. We have a lot of Turks on Long Island who are gas jockeys, and I've laughed when the younger Turks go crazy trying to find where the hell the gas filler is on those...:D

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
04SRT4MAN said:
This is a little off-topic, but there have been some crazy places for gas caps. One of my favorites was the 56-57 Chevy Belair. We have a lot of Turks on Long Island who are gas jockeys, and I've laughed when the younger Turks go crazy trying to find where the hell the gas filler is on those...:D
Yep, that reminds me of the 50's Cadillac owned by the parents of a childhood friend. If I remember correctly, as one depressed a small round reflector (which doubled as an activation button) housed with the left/rear taillight assembly, it activates a release mechanism which then flipped the taillight housing assembly upward to reveal the fuel fill cap. Being young, I was quickly impressed with this impressive piece of architectural mastery, which probably marked the point in my life when I became interested in automotive conceptual design. ;)

Note: Please disregard the edit to to 04SRT4MAN's post, as nothing was actually edited. I'm currently experiencing some computer mouse problems, and a new mouse has been ordered...sorry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would love to see it on the rear qtr panel just like it was meant to be, with the quick fuel racing cap. Old Mopar fans are hard to let go of the little things that made the 60's and 70's muscle cars great.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
04SRT4MAN said:
Well, I know for a fact that in the 2006 Challenger Concept, the fuel inlet is right behind the HEMI license plate frame ! Always liked the original location with the locking gas cap : especially these days and with the 2008 that'll be Coming Out !

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe they'll put in in the hood like the Wagon Queen Family Truckster. :)

That way I can fling my license plate across the gas station a la Clark Griswold.

Hehehe...sorry got carried away there for a minute. ;)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I was told at the Detroit Auto Show the concept car has a fuel cell inside the trunk and the trunk lid must be opened to fill it...obviously will be changed for production....

I hope they ditch the lettering on the rear quarters and go with the old style flip open gas cap...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome to the forum and also thanks for confirming what many had thought where it may have been located on the concept. ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
It better be a flip open, chrome cap on the driver side q-panel. I don't even care if they put a screw cap under it. BUT I WANT IT TO LOOK RETRO!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts