Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that right after I leave my car, all the functions work from my apt window, however after the car sits over night...if I try to unlock\start it, nothing happens until I get way closer (go downstairs) why is this? It seems as if something is "hibernating" that's diminishing range, as it's only after the car has been sitting for the night..

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Just guessing here from what I know of the software encrypting the key fob. Basically, it goes to sleep. The first press of the button acts as a wake signal to the computer saying that it's ready to send a key. The second press sends the encrypted key which is then decoded by the computer and if a match is found, it authorizes the function to be performed. When you first get out of the car, the computer is still awake.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm...so since it's sitting overnight it goes into sleep mode? Pretty annoying as it's a 50\50 I'll be able to start my car without walking down due to that :(

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Would you rather it not sleep and ruthlessly drained your battery overnight? :p (maybe not drained dead, but discharged to some degree every night can't be good for lifespan)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
That sleep thing has some merit. Some times after work, I press the fob to unlock the door and nothing happens until I press it the second time. So, maybe it will wake from the second floor and then try it again before you run down stairs.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Would you rather it not sleep and ruthlessly drained your battery overnight? :p (maybe not drained dead, but discharged to some degree every night can't be good for lifespan)
Near as I can tell the Olds Aurora we traded in on our 300c last year never went to sleep.
The key always worked on that one from over 100' away, even through the walls regardless of the time that passed.
It only shortened on one key as the battery in the key started to fade.
Even with 60sec hold times on the lights, the original factory battery lasted 10years... just saying.

You would think Chrysler could at least use an old style receiver to trigger the computer to wake up.
They do have a pretty short range compared to other cars.
But in the over all scheme of things, its a minor detail I seldom even think about anymore.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My Challenger with an added on factory remote start on it, doesn't seem to have the range the from the factory remote start on my 08 Charger had. I don't know why, but I seem to have problems getting it to start from my desk at work, I have to get closer to my car before it works. The Charger had no problems. The best one I ever had, range wise, was the Viper I had in my Ram. I parked it at a local shopping mall, and went down the road as far as I could and still see it, about a half mile, and it started fine. I bet it would have gone even further.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Near as I can tell the Olds Aurora we traded in on our 300c last year never went to sleep.
The key always worked on that one from over 100' away, even through the walls regardless of the time that passed.
It only shortened on one key as the battery in the key started to fade.
Even with 60sec hold times on the lights, the original factory battery lasted 10years... just saying.

You would think Chrysler could at least use an old style receiver to trigger the computer to wake up.
They do have a pretty short range compared to other cars.
But in the over all scheme of things, its a minor detail I seldom even think about anymore.
The flipside to this anecdote, I bring from my experiences working at a Nissan import facility many years ago. The M45, FX45, Q45's may sit in an overflow staging yard for weeks, and more than likely, the battery was dead when they needed to be moved. A jumpstart was the standard practice to get these cars moving, again. They also had to establish pulling the battery terminals as a standard operation when these vehicles were to be stored for more than a few days.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've also noticed this. My '08 Charger had a heck of a longer distance than my '10 Challenger does on the keyfob. I've also had several times when the keyfob just stopped working and I had to keep clicking "unlock" when I was standing right next to the car.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I struggled with stubborn fobs a short time ago, as well. Though it wasn't an issue about the car systems sleeping, it's always a good idea to weed out the scenario of dying fob battery by simply swapping in a known good battery. That helped out my problems immensely. I also figure the fob works better (when it is being stubborn) if you hold it at about window level and press the button, rather than "through the sheet metal" shot.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I put new batts in mine, still no difference, if the car haven't been driven for 6-9 hours, I can't start\lock it from where I originally could 6-9 hours prior...pretty lame, I don't see how our security system drains so much that it shuts off...I kept pressing and pressing, but until I went down and got RIGHT up to it, it wouldn't work...makes no sense to me I've never seen range as fail as this, what's the point of 300 foot remote start range if you can't even start it 50 ft away the next morning?

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I also try to remember to press the fob button with a sustained press, rather than a natural click. I figure if you release too quickly, it never gets a stable signal out in a window of time that the receiver can "wake-up".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where is the reciever ant. for the fob I know some BMW cars used the back glass ant. and some of the tint film would make them act up.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where is the reciever ant. for the fob I know some BMW cars used the back glass ant. and some of the tint film would make them act up.
Stock antenna is built into the WIN module (ignition) the external antenna which remote start cars have is wired up I believe under the dash kinda near the dash speaker

My prior VIPER alarm had the dual antenna on the windshield and I could start that bad boy from a mile away with ease, or in the middle of a mall, I wish MOPAR would come out with 2-way transmitters like they were planning to..

·
Registered
297 Posts
You guys are not alone. The G8 does the same thing. Sometimes it wont unlock/lock/start until I am too close for purpose of remote starting it... other times it seems like it starts from over 100ft away. (doesnt matter if it has been sitting overnight or 5 minutes in my case though)
Our remote antenna is located in the right rear C pillar... Some G8 owners have extended out the antenna wire which seems to help, don't know if you guys have that option though...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok now I'm thinking the Challenger just has retarded software, it sat for 2 days and today the range was fine starting it up later...two clicks, VROOM, no issue...intermittent issues are rampant with these cars apparently...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts