Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Soft door sills = damage. This shouldn’t happen.

1985 30
22 R/T Blacktop daily driver. 1800 miles.

May have dragged my foot across the door sill. End result is a dent. I didn’t Ninja kick it. I’m pretty careful with my cars. This is just unacceptable. Had to cover it with the OEM cover. Didn’t really want to add bling to a blacktop but I didn’t have a choice. Dodge certainly isn’t going to take responsibility for the thin metal. Anyone else have this happen? Posting as a warning to others.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Grille Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive design
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2018 Plum M6 Scat Pack with Shaker
517 Posts
That is a noticeable dent. FWIW, your bling looks nice.

Would you mind posting a source? My Scat Pack is just painted there too and I have been very careful so far but I would consider a sacrificial piece of trim. For both sides, as I'm sure not all my guests will be as cautious as I have been.

· Registered
32 Posts
That is a noticeable dent. FWIW, your bling looks nice.

Would you mind posting a source? My Scat Pack is just painted there too and I have been very careful so far but I would consider a sacrificial piece of trim. For both sides, as I'm sure not all my guests will be as cautious as I have been.
I was curious too and couldn’t find them on the website the OP posted. But I did find them on Amazon that shows it as oem and has a part number.

· Registered
32 Posts
I ordered the Amazon ones I’ll let you know how they are. I’m actually surprised you dented yours as I hit mine with boots about 80% of the time and was worried myself. Was going to PPF it but I like this better.

· Premium Member
11,681 Posts
I hit it once. Crazy. Obviously poorly designed.
If the sheet metal was thicker then the car would be heavier and then there would be more complaints…
You just can’t win.
Those sill covers look great so it’s a win in the end.
They used to make them in black and I can’t find them now.

· Registered
128 Posts
Come on now. There’s no way that sill was dented by simply dragging your foot across it. Had to have been an impact with something that you either don’t feel like disclosing, you don’t remember, or it was there since you bought it and never noticed until now.

That said, it’s not just these cars, but nearly every new vehicle out there has incredibly thin sheet steel now.

· Registered
2016 Challenger R/T
374 Posts
If the sheet metal was thicker then the car would be heavier and then there would be more complaints…
You just can’t win.
Those silk covers look great so it’s a win in the end.
They used to make them in black and I can’t find them now.
I remember finding the black ones in AliExpress for 48 USD. I personally went with the chrome ones though.

· Premium Member
2021 HCWB Hellraisin/Demonic Red
1,161 Posts
That’s how it happened. I’m sorry you find it hard to believe.
Not meaning it as doubting your word at all, and sorry that happened, but are you completely sure you actually did that? The reason I say this is because that looks like the impact of something hard and thin, almost like what a tire iron would do falling against it, or something along those lines. I just went and played with mine and gave it A LOT of force just to see, and could barely get any deflection at all, and the minor deflection I did get moved right back. Has anyone else used your car without you present? Have you had it in for service lately? Looks more like something a careless tech would’ve done with a dropped tool, rather than you with your foot.
Either way I’m sorry it happened, but also hate for you to think you did it if you didn’t. I know sometimes it takes me a while to notice things, and sometimes by the time I do, I’m not sure how they occurred.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
i think something else happened here, no way a tennis shoe brushing the sill did that.

either way they make many sill covers, i have a set on my 21 that wraps the edge, would not be without them or at a minimum some ppf in that area

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I understand the doubt. I was stepping out and the heel of my size 13 work boot brushed against it. There was no major impact. I know exactly when it happened. I saw it happen. This may cast more doubt for some however I am an OCD 31 year police officer (homicide detective/evidence technician) so I’m extra vigilant and too obsessed with details. This same thing happened to my current police vehicle (22 charger). I will post a pic. I’ve driven many different vehicles at work. Owned many different vehicles. Too many. Dodges are the only cars that the roof actually flexes in and out (chargers are really bad) when going through a gas station car wash air dryer. They’ve been like that since our first chargers in 2011 I think. If you heard that sound you’d know it’s all too thin. I posted this as a warning to others that this could happen. As you can see by my low post count over 7 years I don’t just get on here to yap :)

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe it’s a 2022 issue. I’ve done it to two 2022s in under 6 months. This never happened on my 2015 SP.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts