Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started my 2016 SXT Plus last night to drive home and was surprised to see on my screen a notification for an over the air update to the software. Since everything seems to be working fine I'm hesitant to do it but since it keeps popping up I'll probably do it today on my way to work. Has anyone done an over the air software update on their 2015-2016 SXT Plus and had any issues?
I mention 2015-2016 because I know the 2017s have a different system. Thanks for any input...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I haven't - I've got a 2015, so no OTA for me, but I've heard of a lot of people having issues with sport mode if they do the update while driving. I'd say park it in your driveway, let it do it's thing.

The system that's being updated can control your transmission, etc. Is it a great idea to be using said transmission while it's control software is being changed?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I updated my '16 a couple months ago with no issues. It takes a while, and I recommend doing it when parked.

Reactions: gearset807

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I would also say do it parked for safety as when I did the over the air update in my 16 Scat Pack I was driving on a crowded highway and while the update is running you lose your blind spot monitoring and the gauges and touch screen start doing strange things that are distracting and changing lanes on a crowed highway without blind spot warning not working and the gauges and touch screen doing strange things is not a fun experience. And now I am still waiting on the software patch that will fix my engine sport mode that Dodge said was released almost a month ago.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Guys,

What radio do you have? My 8.4A has never asked me to do an over the air update, but XM radio will update over the air automatically.

I have downloaded 2 updates from Chrysler's web-site since I bought my 2016 and installed them through USB. Maybe they are the same updates?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Got in the car tonight and was met with the Uconnect update screen on my 2016 SXT Plus. Clicked the "Later" button - I'll do it Saturday sometime.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,625 Posts
In my email today

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

...seamless updates :surprise:

I don't think the SXTs have had any issues I've seen. If anyone presses the "What's new" button, let us know what it shows ;)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Looks like I my need to have my touchscreen replaced in my GT. I have read that other people have had their screens freeze and or go blank or not shut off when leaving the car. mine failed to shut off once the second week of ownership for about 15 min. but has never done it again. Now coming home from work the screen went dark and would not respond to any touching or hard buttons so after trying all the buttons I held my finger in the right upper corner like I have read on this form to force a hard reset and after about 10 seconds the unit restarted and is working fine the rest of the drive home. I hear they are replacing these units with an improved model so I will notify my dealer of the trouble and if it keep happing I will get it replaced. I plan to drive this car along time and I got the lifetime warranty mainly to cover all the electronics in this car for as long as I keep it. I plan to be like the old man in the Midas muffler commercial with his model T pulling out of the dealer service bay and saying see you again boys!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,625 Posts
The 17 issues seem to be hardware and not software. Happy with no issues with my 16 (knock wood). A Guy

·
Registered
580 Posts
I did the over the air update a few months ago on my 2016 Hellcat 8.4AN. Did the update while driving with no problem. After the software does a download, it will eventually say you can turn off the car and the update will finish on it's own. When I came back to the car, the update was installed. It took a minute for the clock to reset to the correct time. Navigation maps were not updated but the look of the map had changed a little. The voice of the map girl had changed but worked the same as before. Some people have reported that the initial startup screen shows a different model of car, but this should correct itself after a few startups. Or there is an option to pick a different car yourself. All in all, it was a harmless update.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
The only people I remember seeing that had major issues with a "recent" update were the guys with Scat Pack cars and they lost their Sport Mode. That was an update that came out a few momnths ago.

Is anyone aware of any other problems caused by updates that affected lots of people?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK, so I finished the update and it looks like it went without a hitch. I hadn't read the posts yet about not driving the car during the update so I did it while I was driving to work. The only thing I noticed that happened during the update was the radio went dead for a while and both blind spot warning lights in the mirrors came on showing me that it was not working at the moment. The whole process only took about 20 minutes. After it was completed I tried a couple of items and noticed that I have some minor additional features. I've not gone through all the menus yet to see what has changed but this is what I have found so far.

The GPS in the upper right corner has always had the information for distance to destination, time to destination, time of arrival, etc... It was selected by using a drop-down menu when you touch that area now instead of a drop-down menu it will cycle through the different settings every time you press the area. No more drop-down menu which is OK by me.

Another improvement for me had to do with redisplaying the route map on the GPS. It bugged me that the GPS didn't have the option to redisplay a full map of the route after you started on the route. At times I wanted to see a full map of where I was and the destination. It always had the selection to display turn by turn but not to re-display the full route map after showing it to you the first time. Now when I go into options it has an additional selection that says Route Summary and selecting it redisplays the full map of the route and where you are located on the map.

Cool....

The other new option I found is in the audio options selection. And in that there is now another selection using a scroll down menu showing the option for Auto Play. The description says that it will automatically play any media connected to the USB port when USB is selected and you can turn the option on or off. My iPod was not connected so I've not tried that option yet.

I've also noticed that the 8.4 inch display responds quicker than it used to. Recently the unit was responding slower than before. I'm not sure if the increase is response time is because of the software update or just because the system went through a reset. In any case the GPS and 8.4 inch display in general is responding faster.

That's all I have discovered so far that wasn't there before. I'm going to check out the other menus to see if there's any other additional changes. So far the changes that I have been able to try out are an improvement in my opinion.

Here are some of the screens it cycled through during the update.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys,

What radio do you have? My 8.4A has never asked me to do an over the air update, but XM radio will update over the air automatically.

I have downloaded 2 updates from Chrysler's web-site since I bought my 2016 and installed them through USB. Maybe they are the same updates?

I believe they are the same updates so since you are keeping yours up to date using the USB you probably won't get an over the air notification.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only people I remember seeing that had major issues with a "recent" update were the guys with Scat Pack cars and they lost their Sport Mode. That was an update that came out a few momnths ago.

Is anyone aware of any other problems caused by updates that affected lots of people?

I think it was the cars that have the Performance Pages that we're having the most problems

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did the upgrade several month's ago on my 16 SRT had no problem. In fact I was surprised at the Navigation software upgrade. and the touch screen does move faster.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,625 Posts
Came out of the grocery store today to find the update prompt. Clicked yes and started on way home. Screen went blank, but music still playing from SXM, could change channels. After a while music cut off. Then the screens shown in posts above. By the time I got home, it said I could turn it off and was at 59%. Will find out next time I drive it if it succeeded (little doubt it has). A Guy

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My system was doing something weird today. The female voice prompt had a static sound in her voice. The radio and iPod sounded fine. It never did that before. Turned the car off for a couple hours and back on again and everything was fine. I'm hoping it was fluke of some kind. Let me know if it happens with you. The voice was fine right after the update.

·
Registered
123 Posts
OK...got tired of pushing do it later button.....so did the update(against my better judgement) while parked on my 2015 rt(built Oct of 2014).....NOW SPORT MODE DOES NOT WORK ......after pushing sport button traction control goes to sport,steering goes to sport,flag comes up on dash,but engine DOES NOT go into sport...main way I can tell is before if I was running at 3000 rpm and hit sport mode there would be a burst of power ...now nothing...also in sport mode set up page, putting the engine in sport setting will not stay...it immediately defaults back to street mode ....I drive in sport mode 99% of the time ( would be 100% if I didn't have to hit the dam button every time I start the car instead of being able to default to sport mode)...I AM NOT HAPPY......Dodge cares PLEASE help.....Len

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have a 2015 Scat Pack and I've never received an over the air update notice. If I go to the website for UConnect, I get this:

Your 2015 equipped with the system qualifies for the following software updates:
Update 1:
SIRI UPDATE FOR UCONNECT® 8.4AN_RA4_16_16_13_MY15
SERVICE BULLETIN ID: 08-053-16
RELEASE DATE: 2016-04-21

I guess the 2015s are not getting updated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts