Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at putting some solid motor mounts on my car for a number of reasons. I would like to inquire of those with them how they behave on the new Challenger?

On old school muscle the engine vibrations were felt everywhere, but those engines were quite different than our new ones. It was great back in the day, but now I just don't want to turn my car into a big noisy vibrator!

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Engines vibrate regardless of the year.

I see absolutely no need for solid motor mounts on a street car. They offering nothing at all.

Reactions: 1968rt

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
It also depends on the engine - the stock 5.7 is fairly smooth idle.

When I swapped over to the 6.4 cam, mine has a shake to it now (likely due to the longer duration and greater overlap of the cam) and I can see it in the shifter (6-speed) handle at idle, but don't feel it much with the stock engine mounts.

Its a more high frequency shake, vs. the lopey idle of the pre-emissions days.

Not sure how the 6.1 / 6.4 engine idle quality is on those.

The other thing is body resonance - a friend did this on his mid 80s car, and at idle (fuel injected engine) the resonance from the engine was unpleasant. You could hear it and feel it...since the engine was coupled to the body with the urethane engine mounts.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Just sounds like a bad idea if you are still streeting the car. "Vibrator" would be the tip of the ice berg. Rattl'r being another effect. "Twist'r", as in the unibody. Sounds great initially but me thinks it would create enough problems to decide against. Doesn't someone make a dampener type deal for the engine? HopNot? IDK? Probably a better alternative for a street driven car.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Here is what a mechanic had to say about our solid motor mounts.

When I got to changing out my motor I knew it was time to change the motor mounts. The set that was in the car was original to it. 140k mile 2006 stockers. Of course they were shot and the drivers side was torn in half .....no doubt from the recent rash of 1.4x 60' times(thanks Bill). Lisa asked if I wanted to try the solids or just get the 6 speed mounts which we knew would work fine. I decided to try the solids.....how bad could it be right? So I mounted them to the shortblock and proceeded to drop the motor in.

Once the motor it was in it got a little interesting, unlike the rubber mounts, which you can pry the base over if its off a little, I had to go back and loosen the upper bolts just a hair to allow a little movement on the base till the studs were in. Once they are bolted down it is solid,EXTREMELY SOLID. Sitting at idle you really want a balanced motor. There is a decent amount of vibration but I expected that. Cruising is not bad ,there is only a light vibration,I still have my fillings but they are not for everyone. If you are the type of person that needs everything perfectly smooth these are not for you. If you want to feel the motor you will get every ounce of it with these mounts. If you have a loose panel in the interior they will remind you. Acceleration reminds me of an old 4 speed car. It's a similar feel but the vibration is in the whole car not just the shifter. The biggest benefit is the snap off the line. There is no energy lost due to the motor lifting. You really can feel a difference in how the car reacts. So far I am happy with them but I am not daily driving the car.
Then a few weeks later
As the tune gets perfected and the motor runs smoother the roughness I experienced earlier has diminished to the point I have no problem leaving these in for daily driving. I can't say if it will be smooth on every motor but a well balanced rotating assembly seems to do very well with solids once tuned.
If you track your car, and are looking for ultimate performance, these are a great addition, for the average street car not usually necessary, if you are removing the motor for work it is a great time to upgrade.

Reactions: Locko

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the messages. Thanks, Kris for the full out explanation from a user.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts