Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'12 SRT8 Challenger A5...I have enough money for either the exhaust or tune.
Currently, there is Flowmaster mufflers, res delete, 3 inch pipes...looks kinda generic but sounds decent except for the 2K drone.
I'm wanting a tune and from research I've learned the B&G ECU has all the TM removed. The Trinity with B&G loaded is a watered down tune.
Thoughts? I'm open to suggestions also.
Btw, when the outside temp drops low I get the P0128 code cuz the 180 thermo isn't letting it warm up fast enough. Will the B&G fix this?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
For what it's worth - the B&G tune will definitely wake your SRT up but it may also make your 2K drone even more annoying even though the MSD is turned off. Will the B&G fix your P0128 -that one I do not know.

The Solo system will sound SO much better than your current system and will also get ride of the drone.

So, the big question is how tired are you of the 2K drone?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can '12 SRT's take a custom (CMR) tune ? :scratchhead:

If so, I'd go that route...Lotta good tuners out there...:pimp:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Can '12 SRT's take a custom (CMR) tune ? :scratchhead:

If so, I'd go that route...Lotta good tuners out there...:pimp:
Yes, '12s can take a custom tune.

I'd recommend getting the DiabloSport DCX Intune.

Install the 91 Oct or 93 Oct tune (both reduce torque management - if need be, get Johan at Diablosport to make you a custom tune), dial back the throttle boost to around 13% and increase the shift points to 6400rpms.

This route gives you better flexibility to control MDS, fan settings, fuel %, tire sizes, etc, than a B&G ECU, costs less than a Trinity (unless you really need that) and will get you very comparable 1/4mi gains.

Regarding the fan settings and the warm up temp code with the 180 t-stat, I'd recommend running the stock t-stat until the weather warms up to around 80-85 deg F ambient; this will eliminate your Code issue. Once you go above that, then run the 180 t-stat. With the Intune DCX tuner, program your fans to the following with the 180 t-stat: LS - 195, MS - 198, HS - 208. With the stock t-stat: LS - 213, MS - 216, HS - 226.

Don't get me wrong, B&G is a great solution as they were the first to bring full tuning to 2011+ Challengers but I'd go the DCX Intune route for future flexibility and cost.

DCX Intune - $389
Trinity - $500
B&G - $325 ECU + $350 tune = $675 (pricing could have changed); or you could send your ECU in and get it tuned so perhaps $350.
B&G w/ Trinity - $799.99

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about the intune with a hemifever custom tune. The main reason is the TM makes this car shift like a granny car. I could maybe swing both the intune and exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I am currently using Intune DCX with the 91 oct tune, 10% throttle boost, and transmission shifting set to FIRM. You may not notice the transmission shift change from 1 to 2 under light throttle, but if you are more than 50% throttle and go 2 to 3 you will definitely notice a difference shifting.

Have seen used Intune DCX going for a decent price lately (I spent $350 for mine on ebay). The reduction in torque management is also very noticeable with the Diablo 91 tune. Is the TM reduced as much as the B&G setup - I do not know, but it sure is a lot more fun to drive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read the B&G removes all or mostly all of the TM...supposed to let the A5 bark second gear...which is what I looking for. I had a stock '06 GTO that would rip a second...this car falls on it's face.

1,931 Posts
I would not buy just a PCM with a tune. You do and that is all you have...just one tune. I agree with the above posts saying buy a tuner but I would stay away from the Intune based on what a couple of tuning vendors have told me. The Trinity is more than worth the difference.

·
Premium Member
2010 Challenger SRT8
634 Posts
Diablo Trinity hands down for a tuner. I still need one myself to replace my Predator. I bought the Predator back in the day cause I thought I would not need the features of the Trinity.

Solo X3 catback is nice exhaust and they advertise no drone however, I still get some 2k drone. Not mind numbing by any means but its there. I've yet to try adjusting the "J Pipes" in an effort to tune out the drone.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
'12 SRT8 Challenger A5...I have enough money for either the exhaust or tune.
Currently, there is Flowmaster mufflers, res delete, 3 inch pipes...looks kinda generic but sounds decent except for the 2K drone.
I'm wanting a tune and from research I've learned the B&G ECU has all the TM removed. The Trinity with B&G loaded is a watered down tune.
Thoughts? I'm open to suggestions also.
Btw, when the outside temp drops low I get the P0128 code cuz the 180 thermo isn't letting it warm up fast enough. Will the B&G fix this?
Are you going to race it or DD? If DD, get a trinity or Intune and a custom tune that isn't locked so you can make changes to it and get them to remove all tq mgmnt (worth .3 in the 1/4 in an A5).
The B&G will make your exhaust a little louder as will a custom tune (I did the BB reso deletes and hated it) so I went the Corsa route.
I've run the 91, 93 canned tunes and the B&G Trinity tune. All had more tq mgmnt than the B&G ECU which has given me my best ETs and MPH.
Just depends on what you want to do with your car. Sounds to me like you should fix your exhaust first as you'll hear it everyday...
As far as the code goes, maybe your stat is openeing cooler than 180. I ran a 173 stat for a while and it gave me the CEL but the 180 doesn't. The B&G will have reduced fan settings like the canned tunes. You shouldn't be getting the CELs with a 180 stat unless it is cold out and you don't let her warm up (get right on the highway before it can warm up and the airflow prevents getting to temp). Lots of people up north running the 180 stat without CELs.
If you're going to race it, a custom tune or B&G ECU and good 17" Drs are a must. You can get into the high 11s with your stock TB in good air.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a fair weather DD...only drive it once a week on good days. Power wise I'm happy, but I can't stand the soft shifts and throttle delay.
I'm not big on making a lot of changes...if I find a tune that gives me the feel I'm looking for I won't ever change it. But, when ur talking hundreds or a thousand dollars for a tune I want it to do exactly what I want.
I had a SRT4 with a canned 93 predator tune that worked great and I never had to play with it...getting the A5 to shift the way I like is my goal.
Getting the exhaust replaced next week with a solo.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Good to hear on your exhaust upgrade - you will be very happy with your new sounds (or lack of drone).

·
Registered
481 Posts
solo

Solo mach x

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
It's a fair weather DD...only drive it once a week on good days. Power wise I'm happy, but I can't stand the soft shifts and throttle delay.
I'm not big on making a lot of changes...if I find a tune that gives me the feel I'm looking for I won't ever change it. But, when ur talking hundreds or a thousand dollars for a tune I want it to do exactly what I want.
I had a SRT4 with a canned 93 predator tune that worked great and I never had to play with it...getting the A5 to shift the way I like is my goal.
Getting the exhaust replaced next week with a solo.
I know what you mean about the puking at shift. A B&G ECU will fix that for sure as it raises the red line to 6600 and raises the shift points and firmness. Mine shifts at 6430 from 1st to 2nd and then 6450 2nd to 3rd. It barks the hardest going into 2nd than the B&G Trinity Tune or the canned tunes. I used to swap my B&G ECU and stock ECU in and out but now just leave the B&G in as the car performs like it should and is a lot more fun to drive. The least expensive route would probably be the In-Tune with a custom tune. Stress the least amount of tq mgmnt to your tuner and have your shift points and redline raised. You should be happy with it. Maybe inquire if the CMR tuning can raise the shift points and firmness as it may be in an area of the ECU that CMR tuning can't adjust as of yet. Just speculating based on how '12 performs with the canned tunes.

Reactions: Challenger69

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried emailing Steve (Red Barron) yesterday to order an ECU but so far no response. Is there a better way to order one?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I tried emailing Steve (Red Barron) yesterday to order an ECU but so far no response. Is there a better way to order one?

I'll shoot him an e mail. Don't know if Arrington offers the B&G ECU or if you can get one from B&G. They may require you to send your stock ECU in for the Cal ID and VIN info. if you don't have a tuner. Steve's value add is he can load the VIN & Cal ID info that you would have to have the dealer do on Chrysler equip. Then he sends the ECU to B&G without having to pull your stock ECU.

Reactions: Challenger69

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
PM sent with Steve's eMail. He didn't get the PM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts