Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All--Here is my Solo Exhaust / SVS Muffler Experience & Rating. Also attached are photos & dyno data for pull #6. Uploaded max docs. Will follow with dyno graph and video. Please chime in with your experience and results.

SOUND (10/10): Fantastic! This is how the SRT8 should sound coming from the factory—like an “ass-raped” monkey. Sound at idle is mellow. During normal driving it has an “angry” growl and when rev’d or stomped on from a stand-still or at speed, all hell is unleashed. This Solo cat/exhaust combination is totally worth the money in the “sound department” alone as it exceeded my tonal expectations. I want to live in my Challenger now!!!! As far as drone is concerned, not bad at all in the factory preset position. I am getting minimal amounts in 6th gear when out of the target speed range for that gear (ie…, 60MPH or under/1500RPM). I have yet to adjust J-pipes and will do that on my own time—just didn’t have time to adjust/drive/adjust/drive while I was on the rack. The little drone I heard was not bothersome to me and could easily be eliminated by increasing speed or down-shifting until I get J-pipes adjusted properly.
PERFORMANCE (7/10): Performed a baseline “stock” run consisting of 4 pulls on a Super-Flow Dynamometer followed immediately by installations of Cats & X-3 Exhaust (Quad Tips). I followed up the next morning and accomplished a post dyno run consisting of 6 additional pulls. Here are the results (all numbers are STP-corrected with 5-7 minutes cool down between pulls).
Baseline (2009 Stock SRT8 6SPD)
#1 365 HP @ 6065 348 FT/LBS @ 4617
#2 377 HP @ 6084 366 FT/LBS @ 4733
#3 372 HP @ 6059 364 FT/LBS @ 4644
#4 386 HP @ 6103 370 FT/LBS @ 4643
AVG 375 HP 362 FT/LBS

Hi-flow Cats/X-3 Exhaust (2009 SRT8 6SPD)
#1 366 HP @ 5968 349 FT/LBS @ 4761
#2 378 HP @ 6124 365 FT/LBS @ 4725
#3 383 HP @ 6011 371 FT/LBS @ 4740
#4 383 HP @ 6093 374 FT/LBS @ 4667
#5 384 HP @ 6154 374 FT/LBS @ 4737
#6 385 HP @ 6044 375 FT/LBS @ 4716

AVG 380 HP 368 FT/LBS

While the before and after numbers are not much different that can be mostly attributed to a small issue I had experienced driving to the shop. I decided to accomplish the follow up dyno on the car the next day so I can put about 130 miles on it to give the computer at least some miles to adjust to the new airflow characteristics under various driving conditions. On the way to the dyno the day after installation my check engine light illuminated while leaving the neighborhood on the 65-mile trip and I threw a P2096 Code (Bank one post cat fuel trim lean). This is indicative of a small leak and we put it on the rack and sure enough there was a leak at the cat/header flange they could feel and hear. No issue— re-positioned cat and re-tightened exhaust back down and reset codes before putting on the dyno however, by resetting codes we reset the computer/adaptive learning. Therefore, I honestly believe the computer just didn’t have the needed miles to properly adjust to the new flow characteristics of the exhaust to see bigger numbers at this point in time and Solo totally agrees (they recommend 500 miles). I will drive the car a few months and at my next mod will be sure to accomplish a few more pulls “as is” to see how much HP/TRQ builds over time. I have confidence I will see at least mid 390’s or higher based on other customer’s results. Despite the small numbers, driveablility and throttle response are greatly improved throughout the entire RPM range. Butt Dyno makes me want to power slide around all curves. AFR’s for each pull started between 13-15 at lower RPMs (2000) and decreased in a linear fashion to approximately 11.5 at upper WOT RPM ranges (4500-6100). My 3198-mile MPG average went from 15MPG to 17.5MPG just in the few hundred miles I have put on driving to and from the dyno facility so I am confident I will see about a 2MPG increase. Reason for crummy mileage is I live in the Sierre/Nevada foothills (up & down)
INSTALLATION, FIT & FINISH (8.5/10): Piece of cake—SVS Mufflers had it installed in 35 minutes. They stated it fit well and did not require any modification to install as some exhaust do and that the quad tips aligned perfectly (L to R) in the rear exhaust panel cutouts. The 409SS finish is beautiful and the 304SS quad-tips are extraordinary. Though some prefer the stock rectangular I believe the round quad-tips make the solo package what it is! The two issues we had with regard to this topic were: A) the leak that developed after the car cooled down overnight requiring a reposition of driver-side Header to Cat connection and subsequent re-tightening and… B) The right side exhaust tip peeks out a little further than the left side about ¼ inch. Now I didn’t even notice this but when the discussion came up during exhaust talk he pointed it out and showed me. You literally have to get behind the vehicle at a particular angle and look down with one eye closed. Not too worried about that one….,however, I will keep an eye/ear out for any subsequent leaks should they occur. CEL did not come back on after leak was fixed but I will fire it up again in the morning and take her for a drive just to make sure.
CUSTOMER SERVICE (10/10): Great customer service from both Solo and SVS Mufflers. I ordered Cats and Exhaust while deployed to Italy flying reconnaissance missions in support of the war in Libya. Steve gave me an awesome discount and shipped them out to SVS before I shipped home. Made the Install and Dyno appointments with SVS while deployed and the order showed up at SVS’ doorstep the day prior. While I haven’t needed to utilize Solo’s technical support I know they will be there to troubleshoot any potential issues and will work with SVS to quickly remedy them. Overall, I give the entire experience a 9/10—and that will go to a 10/10 once the car builds a little more power over time and we have keep the CEL off (no leaks). Thanks Solo and SVS--will keep you posted!:bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Cool post. I've have had these on my car for several thousand miles. And took them off to do other testing and man what a differace without them. It's like I'm drive a v6. The adaptive learning will come in and like I said without them you notice a huge difference. Good post!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your posts and reviews were one of the main reasons I purchased--thanks. Drove her around town today and I absolutely can't get enough. So much more of a joy to drive. I know you dyno'd--did you get close to 400 RWHP?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks for posting your experience! We really appreciate your kind words towards SOLO. It looks like you are having a ton of fun with your car!

It is always important to let the computer learn in the new components you add to it. That can actually take 100-300 miles to make all of the adjustments. You will not see results on paper right away. We always suggest a dyno after 100-300 miles of driving...the numbers will be higher and more representative of what the modifications offer.

Have a great day and welcome to the SOLO family!

Steve

·
Registered
705 Posts
Any update on this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
New numbers yet?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts