Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a question for those of you more knowledgeable than I. I am basically completely new to working on cars. I have a 2010 R/T Auto that is just too quiet. I want to put a Solo system on.

Now, I may have never worked on cars. But I'm not helpless. I am an engineer, and work on industrial wind turbines. In this job I've used many a tool, up too 800N/M torque wrenches and have had to get "creative." Maybe it applicable, maybe not. But I do know my way around some basic hand tools. I can't weld or anything though.

So is this something I can tackle on my own or should this just be handed off to a shop of some sort? I am eager to learn and I learn best by doing. I hate this "helpless" feeling and would like to change that. It's the only car I have so that's why I'm worried to mess something up and am looking for advice.

Please enlighten an eager young fool :icon_wink:

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I just did my exhaust yesterday in my garage with car on jack stands. I would say its possible to do it alone but a LOT easier if you have a friend to help. There really isn't anything to screw up as all you need is a 13 and 15 mm wrench, some wd40 or other lubricant, and a whole lot of pushing and pulling to get your stock exhaust off. There are only 2 bolts holding the stock on and then the 6 rubber bushing you have to wrestle with (much easier if you have a friend to help get the thing off and don't mind getting dirty). Once the stock is off it's just a simple connect the dots putting everything else on and literally took me 20 minutes or so to slap together and then tighten the 10 clamps and I was done.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just got my Solo. Haven't put on yet , every thing Red Rider said sounds good. Just couple things they told me about putting it on. First use soapy water for the rubber hangers as Wd40 can cause the some rubber to deteriorate and hang the J tubes first.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I installed mine with a pair of ramps and basic tools. The rubber hangers at the rear of the car, where the resonators are (or would be) are much easier to remove and install if you unbolt the hanger from the body and remove them with the exhaust, then you can slip them off easily without having to fight the exhaust.

The hangers in front of the rear axle were the biggest pain, but still not too bad. Channel Locks work good for pressing the metal hanger out, etc. The install was just muscling the hangers to the side and slipping them on the new exhaust.

Once you have everything in place and loosely fastened, get everything aligned and then clamp it all down. Start to finish it took me 1.5 hours and it really doesn't get much simpler. A second person would really help when connecting the Solo to the mid pipes, mine weren't exactly spot-on after removing the stock exhaust so I had to get creative since I only had the rear of the car on ramps and couldn't get under the middle. :D

Good luck and enjoy your Solo!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I backed my car up on some ramps and used a floor jack with one stand for the drivers front side...would have helped to have another set of hands, but I did it myself. As others mentioned, unbolt the rubber hanger mounts to make it easier!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys! A 13 and 15 and channel locks are staples in my tool bag You'd be amazed how much stuff in a giant turbine you can fix with a 10mm,13,15,17,19 a crescent and a small flat head screwdriver.

Thanks for the recommendation on the soapy water and removing them afterwards. I was wondering about the WD40 on the rubber.

So this may be a dumb question but I assume i have to take the stock parts to a junkyard to legally dispose of them?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I was able to find someone locally who wants mine so I don't have to borrow a truck. It's all 1 giant piece with 1 resonator that comes off so it ends up being just over 8 feet long!! Lolol. You can also sometimes get guys who collect metal scrap to come get it too....otherwise have fun with the sawzall and chopping it into smaller pieces to get out of there...

Definitely slap it up on craigslist and u may get lucky and it will take care of itself....

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you are doing this alone, loosen the stock pipe clamps, and break the stock pipes free before loosening or removing the rubber hangers, otherwise the weight of the stock catback will make pulling them apart a pain. I did mine alone on jack stands (rear) and used soapy water to aid in removal of the rubber hangers.

My stocker is in my basement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts