Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run these? They’ve been tested on RT’s without CELs. I have a modified top end and a custom tune. I’m concerned that if I do get a CEL, that I won’t be able to pass emissions. Currently my tune is dialed in and I pass emissions. I don’t want to drop a good chunk of change on something I cannot run through emissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have them on my R/T

It does trigger a code here and there but we’re talking months in between.

I believe the problem can be remedied with high flow cats

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. How long have you had them on? Do you have the cats with the resonator? Have you passed emissions with them?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Hmm. How long have you had them on? Do you have the cats with the resonator? Have you passed emissions with them?

Well, here in CA i have 5 more years for smog.

Yes i have the same pipes, 3”. I did remove the resonaters eventually because..i....um....damaged them lol

My car probably only throws a code when cruising at highway speeds for a long time. I mean i put a lot if miles but i only get the lightevery few months.

Also to note....when i removed my cats and started the car with open shorty headers, the damn thing didnt throw a code either

Definitely wont pass smog chief sorry, itll pass the visual though

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s what I’m afraid of... not passing emissions. We don’t have visual inspection here in Portland metro. But I don’t want to hassle with swapping cats every couple of years to pass emissions. [sigh].

Solo has tested them by running them in multiple cars without CELs, but getting plugged into the OBDII port might be a problem even without CELs. Still they say:

“Converters are far overrated for the car, at 6.0L per side. That’s 12.0L of cleaning ability.”

They should do the job required for emissions, but it’s a risk. They won’t pass emissions you think because they won’t filter/convert well enough you think? Or you thinking because of CELs?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
That’s what I’m afraid of... not passing emissions. We don’t have visual inspection here in Portland metro. But I don’t want to hassle with swapping cats every couple of years to pass emissions. [sigh].

Solo has tested them by running them in multiple cars without CELs, but getting plugged into the OBDII port might be a problem even without CELs. Still they say:

“Converters are far overrated for the car, at 6.0L per side. That’s 12.0L of cleaning ability.”

They should do the job required for emissions, but it’s a risk. They won’t pass emissions you think because they won’t filter/convert well enough you think? Or you thinking because of CELs?

My bet is just because of the CEL. Have to note, there is a mild...fuel smell everytime i start it up

Coming from a guy who does his own work, the cats are VERY easy to replace. Were talking a 4, 15 or 16mm bolts and they slip right off.

Best bet is to find a “clever” smog guy.

No way to know for sure until they test it

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went for it. I talked with Steve from solo via email, on Thanksgiving day no less. He answered all my questions. Relayed questions to the shop guys for me. I feel pretty confident it will work fine. No visual inspection in Portland. Plus they are having a 15% off sale this week. The high flow cats will complete my NA mods. Not sure of anything else I could do to my car after this. But there will be members who will make suggestions on how I can improve performance I’m sure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts