Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Vendor
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have made significant progress with our SRT-8 high flow catalytic converters and it’s definitely time to share the good news. Renfrick1 has just let us know that he has passed the 600 mile mark with no check engine light (CEL). The SRT-8 is a very tricks car when it comes to engine light issues once you open up the flow at the catalytic converter area. Once we had the converter design finished we made 4 separate attempts at the engine light issue before we had success. The first three attempts triggered the light between 350-475 miles. This is the main reason that it has taken so long. Here are some specs about the converters..

• 1) 200 cell stainless steel spiral wound design. This design is long lasting and ultra-high flow.
  • 2) Converters are far overrated for the car at 6.0L per side. That’s 12.0L of cleaning ability.
  • 3) Includes a special design stainless steel 3/8” thick front flange.
  • 4) All pipes and O2 bungs are stainless steel.
  • 5) For sound reasons we had to incorporate a free flow resonator behind the converter. With just the converter the performance was great but the sound was horrible. With the addition of the resonator we now have great sound (about 20% more noise) and performance.
  • 6) The converters passed the emissions test in Connecticut with flying colors.
  • 7) Each converter assembly is about 4 feet long. It goes from the manifold to the first connection

Our hats are off the Renfrick1 for his determination and thought processes that led to the conquering of the CEL light on his car. I’m sure we would still be at the preverbal “drawing board” had it not been for his input that was truly “thinking outside the box.” From all of us at Solo thanks so much for your help Renfrick.

We dyno’d Renfrick1’s converter change and we has some staggering HP and torque increases. The numbers were so good that we are looking to duplicate the dyno with another car before we release the graphs and numbers. What I can say at this point is that the numbers were both well into the double digits.

Where do we stand now? We have purchased the necessary tooling and flanges to produce these converters and we are getting another SRT-8 into our Buffalo store tomorrow. We will do our final jig and test fit over the next few days and we (if all goes well) should have some manufactured product by the end of the week. We will sell 2 sets of converters to 2 SRT-8 owners from our original group buy to further test the manufactured units. One person has a SRT-8 Auto and the other is a manual. Each person has said that they will install the converters ASAP and start racking up the miles. Once their feedback comes in with regards to performance, sound, CEL etc. we will feel confident in releasing them on a group buy for everyone.

We are sorry that this process is taking so long but there are several things that make it this way including the tricky cel nature of the vehicle and the special flanges and tooling necessary to purchase in order to consistently manufacture these unusual units. It is extremely important to “get it right” when it comes to any of our Solo product and the converters are no exception. We thank you for your patience and we are sincerely hope that once these units are released you will feel that the wait has been worth it.

Thanks so much for your interest and support!

Steve, Jeff, and the SOLO Team

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
To Jeff , steve , bob ,jason, and don. Thanks so much for putting so much time and effort into another great product. I know I was a large part of this but hats off too you guys for wanting to release a product that produces so much hp&trq. And be trouble free. Passing emissions was one great accomplishment. Performance is one thing but having it on something that people want too drive everyday is other. Solo by far is what challenger owners have been waiting for. A company that listens too what we want. First you create an exhaust that has the sound we asked for with no drone and now high flow cats that bring incredible horse power and torque that will not trip any engine lights and that will pass the strict obd emission test that alot of states have. I hope too be at cf2 with solo and my car so everyone can see for themselves the true craftsmanship that solo brings to the table. You guys hit a home run with these things. Thanks again

·
Vendor
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any pics, not sure if I asked on the other thread is the whole thing 3"
They are a 3" mandrel bent converter, downsized to 2 3/4" at the end to bolt on to the factory or anyone else's exhaust. You need that tiny bit of restriction at the end in order to maintain a fantastic exhaust note, as well as prevent bogging on take-off. We have tried both and found this to be the best combination:)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Steve, do you have an r/t 6sp (or any r/t) test cars and if you do, how are those tests going?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
4 ft long??? so thats about the entire distance from the end of the manifolds to the cat back pipes, right? or are they longer than that>

I take it that these could just replace the midpipes for LT headers to a catback? or can they?

·
Vendor
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4 ft long??? so thats about the entire distance from the end of the manifolds to the cat back pipes, right? or are they longer than that>

I take it that these could just replace the midpipes for LT headers to a catback? or can they?
They have a resonator in the assembly as well...it is a free flow resonator but prevents any trouble ranges of drone and assures that the sound is smooth and refined. You will be really happy with them! A lot of research and time has gone into these to get it just right!

As far as replacing the midpipe....I don't see why it wouldn't work, but once we have the final product i will be able to answer that more definitively...we should have product by the end of this week..or early next week:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got in on the group buy for the exhaust on my srt8. Amazing job and I have about 600 miles on it and think the car sounds better the more I dirve it. Once the hp numbers are posted hope you include a list of mods the test cars had and whether it was a complete solo exhaust (Manual or atuostick). Thanks for the update.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
My car has a stock motor with stock tune. I have the cervinis ram air and solo's Mach x exhaust. That's it. No other modifications.And it's an auto. Besides what else is in my sig. But that stuff doesn't matter. I can't say enough about solo.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT 6spd detonator yellow
503 Posts
i am interested in the preformance numbers on a stock srt8 manual.......are any preliminarys done yet?

·
Vendor
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i am interested in the preformance numbers on a stock srt8 manual.......are any preliminarys done yet?
The numbers were so good that we want to test again and make sure they are accurate in two separate tests.

so where are the photos?
They will be coming soon...when we have final product, I will post some pictures and then you can keep an eye out for the group buy.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Steve, HUGE interest here for these high flow cats for my R/T auto. I would love to mate them up to my Solo exhaust and some JBA shorty headers.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi guys. Renfrick1 has spent another long day in our Buffalo store. Thanks so much for making the long drive and for all of your efforts in the complicated process!! I'm not exactly sure how things went today but I'll get you an update tomorrow after I talk with Jeff. We will have a few pics and I believe the final costing has been done so we should have a price. I'll get you a full update tomorrow. Thanks so much for your interest.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update

As you know we have been developing and designing the SRT-8 converters for quite some time now. One reason is that they are very difficult to build with the peculiar flange, flair application at the front and of course there are the overall sound and performance issues. Thanks once again to Renfrick1 for another long day in our Buffalo store yesterday. I think he will agree that it was a day well spent as we made a whole lot of progress and finalized our design. The difference from the drive from Connecticut to Buffalo with the last design to drive back with the current design is night and day. When we have “issues” that we are not completely happy with we try our best to keep addressing them until we "get it right."

Exhaust works on heat and pressure principals. The easiest way to understand it is to relate it to a fire and a chimney. If you have a proper size fire that heats up a chimney flue properly the smoke gets “drawn” up the chimney and because of the heat and pressure everything works properly. If the fire is too small there is not enough heat generated to properly heat the flue and the smoke “languishes” around and eventually may go up the chimney but with much less “flow” than the previous scenario. This is a perfect example of “bigger” (the chimney not the fire) is not always better.

We ran into this exact problem with the SRT-8 converters. Our original design was a full 3” pipe and resonator from the front flange back to the 2 ¾” connection that attaches to the rest of the exhaust. The result was very good but not perfect. We lost some bottom end (off the line) and there were annoying sound issues that cropped up. The sound issues and off the line “bog” were definitely sellable but we thought we could get it “better.”

What we did yesterday was to reconfigure the “path” of the exhaust to a more direct route. If you look at the stock cats they take a very “choppy” route from front to back and ours take a much straighter, better flowing, route. We then used a 2 ½” resonator instead of the 3”. The 2 ½” resonator with 3” pipe on either side of it is exactly the ticket that makes the converter behave the way it should. Renfrick1 said it best when he said to us that the difference in responsiveness and sound quality is night and day. I hope he can chime in to add some of his thoughts to this thread. We have really tried hard to give you a product for the SRT-8 that “works” and is fun to experience.

If you plan on putting a Magnacharger or are doing “severe” engine mods we could make up these converters using 3” resonators on a special request basis only.

The use of a resonator in a converter assembly is unconventional and does add to the cost of the already expensive 6.0L per side 200 cell stainless wound converter. The SRT-8 converters will sell for $797 for the pair including shipping and all necessary hardware. These converters are not for sale yet as we need to have our phase 2 testers put them on and give us their feedback. We will be shipping 2 sets of converters out mid next week to the phase 2 testers and we should have their feedback very soon.

For those that are interested in this product we apologize for the length of time that these are taking. I think Renfrick1 would agree that the progress that we made was well worth the wait for the end user. Solo would rather wait and be able to offer a superb product rather than just a sellable one. Thanks to Bob, Jason and the rest of the Solo crew working in the Buffalo store that are behind the design and manufacturing of this fine product.

Here are some teaser pics of the cats:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts