1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT-8
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Solo Muffler and X-Pipe Video/Review

Video:

Not sure if this should be attached to another thread, but I’ll let a moderator decide that. The following is my thoughts on the Solo Performance Mach X-3 Cat-Back and the Solo Performance X-Pipe Cat-Back and a link to a comparison video I put together. My vehicle is a 2012 SRT-8 M6 and I have installed and driven with both systems.

The Mach X-3 uses a 3-inch pipe that combines into and X-Pipe that is internal to the muffler. The X-Pipe utilizes 3-inch pipe and a welded X-Pipe with no muffler at all (essentially straight pipes). Each system is comprised of three pieces, with the middle sections being interchangeable (Muffler or X-Pipe, whichever you purchase) if you want to switch at any point. The rear sections contain the J-Pipes (Google: Helmholtz resonators) to eliminate drone from the system, and your choice to circular, square, or OEM tips. My only complaint about the setup is the 3-inch pipe: after some extensive research and the use of my butt dyno, I think OEM 2 ¾” pipe is perfect for the 392; I did feel as if I lost some low end punch after putting on the larger pipe (there is more at the top end though). However, my engine is completely stock, and thus doesn’t demand the extra diameter of a heavily modded engine.

Overall, I have loved both systems; both were stupidly easy to install, and both sound great.

I started with the Mach-X which was a significant upgrade from stock. It had a deeper tone, and would wail at WOT. There was a touch of drone, only under acceleration between 1300-1350 rpm’s (~60mph in 6th), but once you were cruising, it disappeared (never spent much time at 60 in 6th, so I never attempted to adjust the J-Pipes). Inside was almost stock quiet. That was the main issue for me: I felt as if I could only enjoy the amazing sounds if I had my HEMI wound up past 5k rpms. The interior was still louder than stock, but I personally wanted to have a little more inside the car. As I like to say, “You can never be sure where the line is until you cross it.” I had heard of the X-Pipe only configuration, and was eventually able to get my hands on a middle X-Pipe section through a trade (thanks Challenger Talk).

I recently installed the X-Pipe mid-section; it fit seamlessly with my existing tips and J-Pipe sections. Let’s just get this out there now: this thing is louder than the Mach X-3. Considerably (Solo advertises 30% louder). The idle tone is louder and deeper. At WOT, this things ROARS (my brother said he could hear it echoing all around when we tested it, and ultimately said it sounded like a dinosaur…in a good way)! However, this is not to say that this system is obnoxious. It is directly tied to your right foot: if you are easy on the throttle, I don’t think you would receive any complaints from neighbors or HOA’s; they will definitely know you started it, but it shouldn’t give anyone a heart attack. The interior noise is more pronounced under acceleration (exactly what I wanted), but again, while cruising, the noise is almost non-existent. The drone region has expanded a bit, and is a little more noticeable, but it is still in the 1300-1400 rpm range, and once you are at a constant throttle setting it disappears. I will look to adjust the J-Pipes to see if I can eliminate this in the future. For now, this setup is awesome. Perhaps it will wear on me after a few months, but for now it is exactly the muscle car exhaust that a 392 deserves.

Nothing does a comparison review more justice than a comparison video, so check out this YouTube link to hear the two exhausts side by side. I did the video on the same day, in the same locations, only a few hours apart. Please note, once this thing is under WOT, it becomes hard to differentiate between the two on the video, but it is enough to get a comparison combined with the information above:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Great video. I also went from the X3 to the X Pipe on my Scat Pack last year. I love it.

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT-8
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love it so far. Need to tweak the J-tubes a bit. Drone is definitely more noticeable (liveable though), but I'll bet it disappears with some small adjustments. We will see If it stands the test of time, as well as a long road trip, but for now I can't get over the beastly sounds coming from my car. It's a straight monster now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts