Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Solo Performance Exhaust Installed

After listening to countless exhaust videos ;) I had decided on the Solo exhaust. It arrived Wednesday.

Unboxing:

Boxed goodness

Muffler Assy and Tips

Left and Right Tips

Tailpipes and J Pipes

Freebies :)

Had them installed today:

OEM Exhaust is actually quite good, x pipe and otherwise true duals

My technician, lol. Great guy, 42 years same location, one man business. Only charged me $75

Removal of OEM exhaust just basic unbolting, sawzall, and some finessing with a crowbar ;)

Everything but tips removed, Solo muffler assy installed

This is the plastic cover that goes between the valance tips, and the flanges where they bolt on. Bolts go through the plastic cover, the tip flanges, and into the body. After removing the tip, use same screws to reinstall the cover for appearance

The valance tip for 2015, and 2016's use 4 bolts. Top viewed from exhaust side

The innermost bolt on either side is pretty much behind the gas tank, very hard to get to. this is what took the longest. These pictures are of the left side tip (viewed from the back). The tool is reaching back to get that bolt.

Sorry pictures were hard facing the garage door opening. You can make out several right angle tools just to get on the bolt

Muffler assy showing clearance of driveshaft. Assy is rock steady in stock hanger mounts

Left side tailpipe J pipe assy installed. J pipe fits in cavity where resonator was

Right side, all kinds of room, just have to make sure doesn't contact anything

Everything but tips

Loosening ball joint connection to center tips, they were already flat

Centered

This was the length/amount exposed he and I agreed looked best

Everything centered and tightened down

Great rumble when starting. When driving with windows down, I didn't realize how much you DIDN"T hear the stock exhaust unless you were stepping on it. Good noises though.

I wanted to hear what it sounded like a WOT. Realized I had not done a 0-60 on a flat surface to get a true 0-60 time. Found a freeway approach that is 2 lanes merging into one at a limit light (one car per green, not turned on that time of day). There is a long stretch leading to the merge, and even more before you merge onto the freeway. No one behind me, stopped at the beginning, turned on Sport mode, set display fo 0-60 and floored it.

I did not even notice the 0-60 time as I was amazed at the exhaust sound! Hard to explain, not a v8 rumble of course. More like a high revving scream, in a good...hell, amazing way! Closest I can approximate it to is how an indy car sounds, without the 10,000 RPMs of course. Not V8, not ricer, mean. Thought it was going to chirp the tires on 1st shift, lol.

0-60 not bad BTW

Ran two more times, same great sound. 2nd was 6.2 and noticed a light flashing after...the traction control, phew! Tried a 3rd run, turned traction control to Sport, but 6.3 this time. That's when I noticed it was 80 degrees out, called it a day after that, lol.

All in all, very satisfied with the sound. Drove it a while with windows down in Sport mode, it makes more noise then in normal driving, but not obnoxious. In normal mode it is noticeable, but not overly loud. With windows up at cruise speeds you can hear it, but more a function of how quiet the stock was. With radio at normal volume, it's just normal background noise.

If you have the V6, and want a cat back exhaust, I can recommend the Solo Mach XV-CH.

A Guy

·
Registered
274 Posts
After listening to countless exhaust videos ;) I had decided on the Solo exhaust. It arrived Wednesday.

Unboxing:

Boxed goodness

Muffler Assy and Tips

Left and Right Tips

Tailpipes and J Pipes

Freebies :)

Had them installed today:

OEM Exhaust is actually quite good, x pipe and otherwise true duals

My technician, lol. Great guy, 42 years same location, one man business. Only charged me $75

Stock resonators and mufflers

Removal of OEM exhaust just basic unbolting, sawzall, and some finessing with a crowbar ;)

Everything but tips removed, Solo muffler assy installed

This is the plastic cover that goes between the valance tips, and the flanges where they bolt on. Bolts go through the plastic cover, the tip flanges, and into the body. After removing the tip, use same screws to reinstall the cover for appearance

The valance tip for 2015, and 2016's use 4 bolts. Top viewed from exhaust side

The innermost bolt on either side is pretty much behind the gas tank, very hard to get to. this is what took the longest. These pictures are of the left side tip (viewed from the back). The tool is reaching back to get that bolt.

Sorry pictures were hard facing the garage door opening. You can make out several right angle tools just to get on the bolt

Muffler assy showing clearance of driveshaft. Assy is rock steady in stock hanger mounts

Left side tailpipe J pipe assy installed. J pipe fits in cavity where resonator was

Right side, all kinds of room, just have to make sure doesn't contact anything

Everything but tips

Loosening ball joint connection to center tips, they were already flat

Centered

This was the length/amount exposed he and I agreed looked best

Everything centered and tightened down

Great rumble when starting. When driving with windows down, I didn't realize how much you DIDN"T hear the stock exhaust unless you were stepping on it. Good noises though.

I wanted to hear what it sounded like a WOT. Realized I had not done a 0-60 on a flat surface to get a true 0-60 time. Found a freeway approach that is 2 lanes merging into one at a limit light (one car per green, not turned on that time of day). There is a long stretch leading to the merge, and even more before you merge onto the freeway. No one behind me, stopped at the beginning, turned on Sport mode, set display fo 0-60 and floored it.

I did not even notice the 0-60 time as I was amazed at the exhaust sound! Hard to explain, not a v8 rumble of course. More like a high revving scream, in a good...hell, amazing way! Closest I can approximate it to is how an indy car sounds, without the 10,000 RPMs of course. Not V8, not ricer, mean. Thought it was going to chirp the tires on 1st shift, lol.

0-60 not bad BTW

Ran two more times, same great sound. 2nd was 6.2 and noticed a light flashing after...the traction control, phew! Tried a 3rd run, turned traction control to Sport, but 6.3 this time. That's when I noticed it was 80 degrees out, called it a day after that, lol.

All in all, very satisfied with the sound. Drove it a while with windows down in Sport mode, it makes more noise then in normal driving, but not obnoxious. In normal mode it is noticeable, but not overly loud. With windows up at cruise speeds you can hear it, but more a function of how quiet the stock was. With radio at normal volume, it's just normal background noise.

If you have the V6, and want a cat back exhaust, I can recommend the Solo Mach XV-CH.

A Guy

Goodness guy. Felt like I was reading a war book. Now I have to get these man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
The sound of ours especially at idle has deepened after a week of driving it. We're very happy with it. Anyone considering an exhaust for their 3.6 needs to stop looking around and just get this one.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He used the clamps. If you ever need any transmission, or drivetrain work, the exhaust will have to come off looks like. Solo provides good stuff, so I have no concerns. A Guy

·
Registered
285 Posts
My front clamps leaked a bit and made a ticking exhaust sound, hate that. The leak was at the bolted side of the clamp because the band doesn't go a full 360 around the pipe. Yesterday I took them off one at a time and used some very soft thin aluminum sheet stock and cut a piece to wrap all the way around the seam and then put the band clamp on over it. Drivers side leak stopped, passengers side is so minimal that you can't hear it unless you're under the car. Of note, use a 1/2" drive ratchet or long handle 3/8" to really torque those front clamps down. The first time I used a standard length 3/8" ratchet and I don't think I got them tight enough. I also saw the drivers side solo pipe slots cut into the pipe so it could cinch down in the factory pipe, were overlapping themselves causing the pipe to have a gap and add to the leak. I used a dremel and mini cut off wheel to enlarge the slot and cure this problem.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
13 Posts
Great looking SXT! I also love my Solo exhaust. Sounds better as time goes by. Before you couldn't hear the car when it was running, but now you can!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Posted this in another thread where someone asked how it sounds...

I learned it is next to impossible to get a good representation of the sound with an iPad, while going from 0-60 and a curve fast approaching. Tried one with iPad closer to window to get a better idea what it actually sounds like, just get a lot more wind noise. It sounds much more smile inducing in real life. In fact, after I dropped off the Ipad, I drove through a short tunnel with no traffic. Floored it and OH THE HUMANITY!

It will never be a V8, but man what a sweet V6

Forgive the quality. Tried to focus on the 0-60 counter in the dash on first one, and with holding iPad, and accelerating, and approaching corner...only 6.3. Second time I just held iPad in lap, got a 6.1 then, that equals best I have done. But it has been between 75-80 when trying them, so give me a 50 degree day looks like 6.0 or...possible. Not that I do this regularly!

They sound best loud, lol :)

A Guy

Reactions: flatlandschallenger

·
Registered
285 Posts
Man, 75° - 80°, that sounds so nice. In SW FL, our temps have been 95-100 and the "feels like" temps range from 110° - 121°. Today while doing yard work it was 105° with a feels like of 121°. Cars run much slower in these temps. Horrible DA numbers.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Not knowing much about exhaust systems this might be a stupid question but it looks like the exhaust splits near the end and one end is attached to the exhaust tips and the other goes up underneath the body. Does the section that goes underneath the body attach to something or is it open on the end?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
That's the J-Pipe. It's capped, all the exhaust comes out the exhaust tips.

It's to cancel out the drone. Works good out of the box for unmodified cars, but can be adjusted should you have drone in certain RPM bands

Note: Adjusting J-PIPES: This should not need to be done on most cars but incase please follow:
If you have an in town “bog” or trouble RPM ranges just undo the top band clamp of the J-Pipe and
move in or out ½”. Determining which direction gives the best results and then do further
adjustments in ¼” increments. Both J-pipes must be adjusted evenly.
Both J-pipes must be adjusted evenly.
The sound goes in the J Pipe, then when the offending sound bounces off the sealed end it comes back 180° out of phase and cancels out the original offending sound. In theory (and apparently application it seems)

A Guy

P.S. NOT on Solo's payroll, I swear lol

·
Registered
758 Posts
OK. Now I think I understand. Zooming in the pipe looks like it is capped at the end and sliding the clamp back and forth is like tuning the pipe. Very cool....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 59 Posts