Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the initial R/T exhaust, just before the J-pipes for it were developed. I have an Auto R/T, but I run without the MDS. After talking to Steve, I felt like this option would give me the best sound for my application.

Well, I installed the exhaust (again less the J-pipes) and it sounded TERRIFIC.. exactly what I wanted. Only problem I had was between 1800 and 2200 RPM's I was getting some drone that was just too much for me to deal with routinely. So, talked to Steve again, and decided to purchase a set of tail pipes with the J-pipes installed. He gave me the offer to buy just the J's and have them welded in myself, but my local ripoff muffler shop wanted too much, so it was cheaper to just buy the complete tailpipe/J-pipe configuration.

Just installed the J's this evening. They were set up, I believe, at about 1/1/2" length. Installed it was quite a bit quieter. Drove it a bit and it was just too quiet for me. But, the drone I had experienced was completely gone.

Bumped them out further to 2", and the sound was improving and still no drone. Getting close, but "not quite yet". Bumped it out another 1/4" and it's really waking up. I'm right on the edge, I think, where cabin drone is possibly ready to creep in and the deep throaty sound is really coming back. It's just about perfect, so Im going to leave it here for a few days and then decide if I need to tweak it any more.

I love the setup, it's cool that you can adjust the sound to fit your personal needs. In my opinion, this catback is absolutely the best system for the money. Fits like a glove, easy to install, everything you could want at a great price.

Thanks Steve and the folks at Solo Performance. Y'all got a great product here and I'm glad I waited for your system.

Mike

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Congrats on the new exhaust. I'm glad you like
Sound. The 5.7 with mds is a hard one too get right with no drone. They really put a lot of research into this system. I no I love mine.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I gotta tell you... these types of posts are making me want to sell my Mopar/Borla cat back and go with the Solo.

Not helping the old bank account!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Very interesting. Now, I'm tempted to go monkey with mine.

When you extended the j-pipes, did it get louder at idle, or just when you get on it?

·
Banned
811 Posts
Steve recommended to me not the adjust the J pipes until after the exhaust breaks in, about 500 miles.

Mine sounds great, by the way.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting. Now, I'm tempted to go monkey with mine.

When you extended the j-pipes, did it get louder at idle, or just when you get on it?
It was more that it got louder when I got on it. It did get louder under regular load as well (not jumping on it). At idle I didn't really notice much difference between adjustments.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve recommended to me not the adjust the J pipes until after the exhaust breaks in, about 500 miles.

Mine sounds great, by the way.
Yeah, saw that, but mine was just too quiet for me as currently setup. Probably because I was used to the non-J exhaust which was definitely louder.

Mike

·
Banned
811 Posts
I'm so glad Solo made an R/T kit with the J pipes. I probably would have gotten the kit with the J pipes even if I had a 6 speed. It's an excellent feature to have, in my opinion.

·
Banned
583 Posts
I have the J pipes and personally wouldn't want it any louder, I'm sneaking/idling out of my neighborhood now every morning at 3:00 am, haven't had my stereo on as well.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I gotta tell you... these types of posts are making me want to sell my Mopar/Borla cat back and go with the Solo.

Not helping the old bank account!
They sound very similar, you would be wasting your money. Also the Solo is not a full T304 system, the Borla is.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The standard Solo exhaust on my 6 speed is too loud inside the cab for me and I'm getting a set of the J pipes to put on mine also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts