Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Raw American muscle on the outside and a refined, non-invasive performance exhaust note on the inside. The dramatic sound difference from outside to inside is accomplished by months of research and development plus specific product design for the 2008-2010 Challenger SRT-8. Half way through this process the Solo team started to say that SRT stood for Solo Research & Technology! All of us at Solo Performance are very proud to bring to the Challenger community our free-flow MACH X-3 and MACH X-3NT (No Tips...stock tips to be reused) exhaust kits. These kits are a 3" mandrel bent T409 stainless steel converter back exhaust. We had a lot of fun designing for this very "challenging" car and would like to thank Ontario Chrysler, London Chrysler, Taylor Chrysler, Bruno and Kevin for the use of their cars and their invaluable feedback. The kit fits both the manual and automatic SRT-8.

Pricing

MACH X-3: $928 USD including shipping to most of the United States and central Canada. Solo T304 quad tips included with this kit.

MACH X-3NT: $885 USD including shipping to most of the United States and central Canada. No exhaust tips with this kit. Stock tips to be reused.

Kit Specs

Front Muffler Assembly: 3" mandrel bent T409 stainless steel exhaust pipes combined with our dual in dual out T304 stainless steel MACH X-3 muffler. We tried several exhaust configurations on the SRT-8 and when nothing worked well enough we designed our MACH X-3 muffler specifically for this exhaust kit. This muffler is all that we hoped it would be for this car!

Right and Left tail pipe assembly using Solo Quad tips: 3" mandrel bent T409 stainless steel pipe with a ball and flair front connection (where the tail pipe meets the front muffler assembly) to help with exhaust tip adjustments. Our tips are T304 dual, staggered, beveled exhaust tips with a 3" inlet and dual 3 1/2" outlets that were specifically designed for the Challenger.

Right and Left tail pipe assembly to be used with stock exhaust tips: These tail pipes are exactly the same as the ones described above except they have a downsized rear ball (2 1/2") which mates up to the flared stock exhaust tip. The stock "collar" must be used as well.

J-Pipes: Much research and development has been done by Solo Performance to perfect our J-Pipes that are part of the SRT-8 tail pipe assemblies. These J-Pipes eliminate bad frequencies that occur at certain RPM ranges. We have developed and used this technology in several of our exhaust kits over the past two years. They work incredibly well. The adjustment on the J-Pipe is critical. We have found a "factory preset" position that should work on most SRT-8 Automatics. J-Pipes will come set at 3" from the end of the J to the overlap ridge. Just as a trombone has different notes with slight movements of the "slider" so do our adjustable J-Pipes. Less that 1/2" of adjustment can mean the difference between a kit that annoys you to a kit that's perfect. At the time of this offering we have all 5 of our SRT-8 exhaust kits that are on cars without any bad RPM ranges. Some may need to adjust the length of the J if they have a "bog" or a bad RPM range. All you have to do to get rid of these is loosen the top band clamp on both sides and lengthen or shorten 1/2". Once you find the preferred direction you adjust from there in 1/4" increments. Adjust both sides evenly.

SOME COMMENTS FROM OUR FRIENDS THAT DONATED CARS...

• This is exactly how it should have came from the factory!
  • Pure Performance! Sound, Horse Power, Tone and Elegance.
  • I drive it to try and get it to drone but I just can't get it to.
  • I've never heard in my 20 years of experience an exhaust sound so visceral on the outside and so tame on the inside.
  • The dyno's look as good as the car feels!
Dyno Graph and Results

• Increase of 18whp
  • Increase of 21wtq
  • This is on an otherwise stock car!
  • See the attached dyno graph at bottom
Contact Information

Steve Mariano

516-655-9002
[email protected]

Pictures

Group Buy List (combined with R/T group buy)

1. notcvrd- PAID (SRT-8)
  2. OChallenger- PAID (R/T)
  3. paulpaladin- PAID (R/T)
  4. demonbydesign- PAID (SRT-8)
  5. lonestar- PAID (SRT-8 6-speed)
  6. blk09rt6sp- PAID (R/T)
  7. walaby- PAID (R/T)
  8. optiview- PAID (SRT-8)
  9. optiview- PAID (R/T)
  10. R. Troyer- PAID (SRT-8)
  11. sergeastorms- PAID (R/T)
  12. superdodge- PAID (R/T)
  13. JonW- PAID (R/T)
  14. jstkilntim- PAID (SRT-8)
  15. stricnine- PAID (R/T)
  16. furiousRT- PAID (R/T)
  17. archon85- (R/T)
  18. inggy- PAID (R/T)
  19. pdl9dp- PAID (R/T)
  20. mfior- awaiting complete R/T auto kit with MDS enabled
  21. evrt- PAID (R/T)
  22. BklynAJ- PAID (R/T)
  23. phargophil- PAID (R/T)
  24. BLACKonBLACK- PAID (R/T)
  25. kjw- PAID (SRT-8)

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Been waiting for this group buy thread to be posted! :headbang2:

After watching the video posted earlier tonight and talking to Steve I was sold on this exhaust. From the looks of things, Solo Performance seems to have a great reputation in the exhaust rink.

I will say I am coming from a Mustang. All I have ever driven is stangs, and I can say that I have never been able to get the muscle car sound without the drone. Some drone, imo, is a good thing, so you can hear the rpm's and hear the muscle on the inside...but too much is just annoying!

Looks to me that Solo has perfected the balance of drone vs sound!

Price is great and the quality looks even better! So let's get the numbers up on this group buy, so we can take even greater advantage of a great deal!

My kit is shipping out this week, and hopefully will be in by early next week! Can't wait to see this kit, and get it put on, and you best believe I will be giving a full review!

Thanks Steve for this offer!!

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
How much are the R/T kits? I don't see an R/T kit group buy thread

Do you have an R/T auto kit ready? Thought I read where you were looking for a test car.

Mike

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much are the R/T kits? I don't see an R/T kit group buy thread

Do you have an R/T auto kit ready? Thought I read where you were looking for a test car.

Mike
I am starting another GB thread for the R/T either later tonight or tomorrow morning. I want to keep them separate so that the questions asked are geared for the specific car that thread is about.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
OK... will standby. Thanks

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got any good pics from the bottom of the car with the exhaust installed..............is that a solid X pipe in there or perforated
Our Mach-X3 muffler is made from T304 stainless steel inside and out. It’s tig welded and has aggressive 6MM louvers to help calm the noise. It has internal support plates for added strength and is heavily packed with ceramic fiber and stainless steel wool. It’s dimensions are 14” long by 4 ½” thick by 11” wide. The Mach-X3 was designed specifically for the SRT-8. In the video, we pan underneath the car:)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Our Mach-X3 muffler is made from T304 stainless steel inside and out. It’s tig welded and has aggressive 6MM louvers to help calm the noise. It has internal support plates for added strength and is heavily packed with ceramic fiber and stainless steel wool. It’s dimensions are 14” long by 4 ½” thick by 11” wide. The Mach-X3 was designed specifically for the SRT-8. In the video, we pan underneath the car:)
Just wanted to see how the muffler tucks up under the car, I had a single to dual muffler on my Charger and it hung pretty low and I didn't like that.

Another question if exhast comes out od the J pipe where does it go.

Just trying to pick out a system for the my new Challenger

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just wanted to see how the muffler tucks up under the car, I had a single to dual muffler on my Charger and it hung pretty low and I didn't like that.

Another question if exhast comes out od the J pipe where does it go.

Just trying to pick out a system for the my new Challenger
The muffler does not have a big body, in fact, it doesn't hang much lower than the pipe. The pipe is 3" and the muffler is 4.5" from top to bottom. The tolerance is less than that of stock (the stock hangs lower than ours). The exhaust actually doesn't come out of the J pipes. The J-Pipes are capped off at the end. Only sound waves enter the J pipe, enabling it to cancel out the frequencies of drone. The exhaust exits at the tips. If you look at the pictures I posted, you can see that the J pipes are extensions out of the side of the tail sections. Actually there is almost no exhaust gases that enter the J's as they remain cold to the touch even after an hours worth of driving. Thanks!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I posted this on the R/T Group Buy thread and meant to post it in the SRT Group Buy thread so I have copied it so as to place it here as well. I had some questions and Steve answered them.

Hi LoneStar. My response is in capitals and bold below. Thanks for your interest.

Before pulling the trigger between Corsa, MBRP, and Solo I have been waiting for the Solo product to be ready. I guess it still is not for the 6.1 6 sp cars. To come to my final decision I have a few questions and instead of calling or sending an email I thought I would post them here just incase others may have the same ones and are interested in the answers.

1. In all the sound clips there appears to be a very pronounced raspy sound when the throttle is let off. Sounds like the sound one would hear if they had an exhaust leak. I have to assume it is not an exhaust leak so I have to ask what that is.THIS IS AN INHERENT QUALITY OF THE CHALLENGERS. IT SOUNDS FAR WORSE ON VIDEO THAN IT DOES IN PERSON. THE VIDEO SEEMS TO "PICK UP ON THIS" AND CAPTURE IT MORE THAN IN REAL LIFE.
2. I understand the concept of the J pipe. Corsa does that inside their mufflers and Solo and MBRP does it outside the muffler. If the bottom line is no drone then fine but, the J pipes look, well aesthetically they leave a bit to be desired. Is there any way to incase the J pipe and exhaust pipe in a muffler type case with a door for access to do any J pipe adjustments? I noticed on the video of the SRT and on the G8s that you see these from the rear of the vehicle through the cut out for the exhaust and I for one do not like that. WE DID OUR ABSOLUTE BEST TO MAKE THE J'S AS INVISIBLE AS POSSIBLE. WITH THE CAR UP IN THE AIR THEY ARE NOTICEABLE BUT ON THE GROUND THEY ARE FAIRLY HIDDEN. THERE IS NO WAY FOR US TO INSERT THEM INTO THE PIPE AS THEY WOULD RESTRICT FLOW AND THERE WOULD ALSO BE OTHER COMPLICATIONS. UNFORTUNATELY THEY ARE NECESSARY ON THE SRT-8 TO CAPTURE A WONDERFUL EXHAUST NOTE AND ELIMINATE THE TROUBLE RPM RANGES. THEY ARE NOT USED AT ALL ON THE R/T KIT, AS THEY WERE NOT NEEDED AND WOULD HAVE ADDED TO THE COST.
3. As others have said, Challengers beg for a rectangular type exhaust outlet. Kudos for the option to use the factory standard or FF tips. Not a question here, just kudos. WE STARTED WITH RECTANGULAR TIPS BUT THEY JUST DIDN'T LOOK RIGHT. WE WILL TRY DOWN THE ROAD TO DESIGN A SET THAT WILL WORK FOR THE CHALLENGERS. OUR TEST SUBJECTS (CHRYSLER DEALERS) BEGGED US FOR QUADS.
4. When will the system for the 6.1 6sp be ready? KITS ARE READY TO SHIP RIGHT NOW.
5. Based on what has been said, the J pipes come pre-set. What is the effect of adjustments? IE, if you slide the trombone slide in what impact does it have? If you move the trombone out what is the impact? THERE WILL BE DRONE RANGES AND OR BOG RANGES. THE J'S ARE NOT DESIGNED TO CHANGE THE EXHAUST NOTE AS MUCH AS THEY ARE DESIGNED TO TWEAK OUT TROUBLE RPM RANGES.
6. If a customer wanted it, could you fabricate the entire system out of 304? If so, how much would that add to the cost of the system? I mean a simple look at the Solo muffler and Solo tips answers the question of why one would want 304 VS 409. UNFORTUNATELY OUR MANDREL BENDER CANNOT BEND T304. WE WOULD NEED TO GET ALL NEW TOOLING ETC. EVEN IF WE COULD, THE COST WOULD INCREASE, AS T304 IN A MORE EXPENSIVE GRADE OF STAINLESS AND WASN'T NECESSARY FOR THE PIPING. THE PIPING WILL LAST 15+ YEARS ON A DAILY DRIVER!
7. Is the Solo system lighter than the stock system? MUCH LIGHTER! HOPEFULLY SOME OF OUR FIRST CUSTOMERS CAN WEIGH THE DIFFERENCE.
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
[email protected]

Last edited by GOINGSOLO2; 02-01-2011 at 04:43 PM.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I live 2 blocks away from my solo dealer in tonawanda ny. They will be installing this on my challenger come nice weather! I can't wait the custom exhaust from them now sounds amazing but too much drone.

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live 2 blocks away from my solo dealer in tonawanda ny. They will be installing this on my challenger come nice weather! I can't wait the custom exhaust from them now sounds amazing but too much drone.
Since you have a custom kit from us prior to this new kit being developed, simply give Jeff a call and he will take care of you. Thanks for the support and we are happy to bring this updated kit to the Challenger market.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Since you have a custom kit from us prior to this new kit being developed, simply give Jeff a call and he will take care of you. Thanks for the support and we are happy to bring this updated kit to the Challenger market.
Awesome ! I will do this as soon as the weather breaks and i break the car out of the garage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
To any guys who disbelieve The no drone....Its loud and has no drone at all, I am also a g8 owner, and my friends have the solo kits on there cars, even when the dod kicks in there is 0 drone! Amazing sys the guys came up with here. And the J pipe is hidden. You do not see it. Can't wait to get mine installed.
Also the muffler shop that is one of the shops that started testing on the j pipe sys, installed the custom exhaust on my 08 when the car had just .8 of a mile on it. here are some pics of the exhaust that I will be taking off.
Not because I don't like it, I would like the sound and still be able to hear my radio on the highway .

1 - 20 of 181 Posts