Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 376 Posts

·
Vendor
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Raw American muscle on the outside and a refined, non invasive performance exhaust note on the inside. The dramatic sound difference from outside to inside is accomplished by months of research and development plus specific product design for the 2008-2010 Challenger 5.7 Hemi R/T. Fit, form and function are the cornerstones of our Solo Performance Challenger R/T exhaust kits. All of us at Solo Performance are very proud to bring to the Challenger community our free-flow MACH X-R/T and MACH XR/TNT (No Tips...stock tips to be reused) exhaust kits. These kits are a 2 1/2" mandrel bent T409 stainless steel converter back exhaust. We had a lot of fun designing for this very "challenging" car and would like to thank Ontario Chrysler, London Chrysler, and Taylor Chrysler for the use of their cars and their invaluable feedback. Our MDS kit for the automatic is now also complete. The auto MDS kit includes J pipes to cancel out the drone associated with the MDS. This was tested on a stock car...other engine mods may require simple adjustments to the J pipes. Please see pricing below.

Pricing

MACH X-R/T: $835 USD including shipping to most of the United States and central Canada. Solo T304 quad tips included with this kit.

MACH X-R/TNT: $792 USD including shipping to most of the United States and central Canada. No exhaust tips with this kit. Stock tips to be reused.

MACH X-R/T MDS AUTO: $899 USD including shipping to most of the United States and central Canada. Solo T304 quad tips included with this kit.

MACH X-R/TNT MDS AUTO: $856 USD including shipping to most of the United States and central Canada. No exhaust tips with this kit. Stock tips to be reused.

Kit Specs

Front Muffler Assembly: 2 1/2" mandrel bent T409 stainless steel exhaust pipes combined with our dual in dual out T304 stainless steel MACH-X muffler. This is a true X design muffler that is 14" long with a 4" X 9" body. The X design calms the noise and smoothes out the rough RPM ranges while remaining free flow.

Right and Left tail pipe assembly using Solo Quad tips: 3" mandrel bent T409 stainless steel pipe with a ball and flair front connection ( where the tail pipe meets the front muffler assembly) to help with exhaust tip adjustments. Our tips are T304 dual, staggered, bevelled exhaust tips have dual 3 1/2" outlets that were specifically designed for the Challenger.

Right and Left tail pipe assembly to be used with stock exhaust tips: These tail pipes are exactly the same as the ones described above except they have a rear ball (2 1/2") which mates up to the flared stock exhaust tip. The stock "collar" must be used as well.

SOME COMMENTS FROM OUR FRIENDS THAT DONATED CARS...

• This exhaust sounds like an angry lion!
  • The performance gains are staggering!
  • The sound at wide open throttle is the best I've ever heard!
  • It'd incredible that one small muffler can produce such an intoxicating sound.
Dyno Graph and Results

• Increase of 29whp
  • Increase of 31wtq
  • This is on an otherwise stock car!
  • See the attached dyno graph at bottom
Contact Information

Steve Mariano

516-655-9002
[email protected]

Pictures

Group Buy List (combined with R/T group buy)

1. notcvrd- PAID (SRT-8)
  2. OChallenger- PAID (R/T)
  3. paulpaladin- PAID (R/T)
  4. demonbydesign- PAID (SRT-8)
  5. lonestar- PAID (SRT-8 6-speed)
  6. blk09rt6sp- PAID (R/T)
  7. walaby- PAID (R/T)
  8. optiview- PAID (SRT-8)
  9. optiview- PAID (R/T)
  10. R. Troyer- PAID (SRT-8)
  11. sergeastorms- PAID (R/T)
  12. superdodge- PAID (R/T)
  13. JonW- PAID (R/T)
  14. jstkilntim- PAID (SRT-8)
  15. stricnine- PAID (R/T)
  16. furiousRT- PAID (R/T)
  17. archon85- PAID (R/T)
  18. inggy- PAID (R/T)
  19. pdl9dp- PAID (R/T)
  20. mfior- PAID (R/T)
  21. evrt- PAID (R/T)
  22. BklynAJ- PAID (R/T)
  23. phargophil- PAID (R/T)
  24. BLACKonBLACK- PAID (R/T)
  25. kjw- PAID (SRT-8)

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Figured I would post this up in the R/T thread as well, as this is the kit I bought!!

Been waiting for this group buy thread to be posted!

After watching the video posted last night and talking to Steve I was sold on this exhaust. From the looks of things, Solo Performance seems to have a great reputation in the exhaust rink.

I will say I am coming from a Mustang. All I have ever driven is stangs, and I can say that I have never been able to get the muscle car sound without the drone. Some drone, imo, is a good thing, so you can hear the rpm's and hear the muscle on the inside...but too much is just annoying!

Looks to me that Solo has perfected the balance of drone vs sound!

Price is great and the quality looks even better! So let's get the numbers up on this group buy, so we can take even greater advantage of a great deal!

My kit is shipping out this week, and hopefully will be in by early next week! Can't wait to see this kit, and get it put on, and you best believe I will be giving a full review!

Thanks Steve for this offer!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wow, I love the sound of the r/t exhaust! I'm seriously considering the system but have a couple of questions:

Why no J pipes on the r/t? We get tons of drone - especially on the 6sp at 1600 - 1800 in 6th. Do you have a video of the sound inside at that rpm? I have terrible drone there with the glasspacks, but I only paid $180 for them and I love the sound so I live with it. If I'm gonna buy a full catback I wouldn't want that drone!

What year of r/t were the dyno pulls done on? The initial pull's whp is very low - in fact the lowest I have seen for a stock r/t and there are tons of dyno slips to compare against on here. I'm aware of the differences between dyno's, etc but it still is low. Just wondering if you can provide a bit more detail on that car.

Thanks!

·
Vendor
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, I love the sound of the r/t exhaust! I'm seriously considering the system but have a couple of questions:

Why no J pipes on the r/t? We get tons of drone - especially on the 6sp at 1600 - 1800 in 6th. Do you have a video of the sound inside at that rpm? I have terrible drone there with the glasspacks, but I only paid $180 for them and I love the sound so I live with it. If I'm gonna buy a full catback I wouldn't want that drone!

What year of r/t were the dyno pulls done on? The initial pull's whp is very low - in fact the lowest I have seen for a stock r/t and there are tons of dyno slips to compare against on here. I'm aware of the differences between dyno's, etc but it still is low. Just wondering if you can provide a bit more detail on that car.

Thanks!
Thanks for the inquiry! The R/T did not need J pipes. The J pipes are an added expense, and they were not needed with the way we designed the kit. We were able to keep the cabin noise down, while maintaining a sweet and aggressive exhaust note outside. I would classify it as "sound on demand". When you want it to be quiet, simply cruise and be light on the throttle. When you want it to come alive, step on it!

The dyno pull we did was on a 2010 R/T 6 Speed. The important thing to look at on a dyno graph is the relative difference between pulls. The atmospheric pressure, type of dyno, and dyno calibration can all have an effect on the initial pull numbers. All pulls were done under the same conditions, the the important numbers to look are the gains from the stock pull to the modified pull. We understand that putting up a dyno graph can open up a can of worms, but simply driving in the car will prove that the gains are certainly there. We knew people would ask for dyno proof, so we provided the graphs.

Hope to hear from you soon, as we really feel this is a fantastic kit worth having our name on!

·
Banned
811 Posts
I'm disappointed that the R/T exhaust doesn't have the J pipes. I know you say it isn't needed, but it sounds different from the SRT in the video, and the R/T seems to have more in cabin noise than the SRT in the video.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Before pulling the trigger between Corsa, MBRP, and Solo I have been waiting for the Solo product to be ready. I guess it still is not for the 6.1 6 sp cars. To come to my final decision I have a few questions and instead of calling or sending an email I thought I would post them here just incase others may have the same ones and are interested in the answers.

1. In all the sound clips there appears to be a very pronounced raspy sound when the throttle is let off. Sounds like the sound one would hear if they had an exhaust leak. I have to assume it is not an exhaust leak so I have to ask what that is.
2. I understand the concept of the J pipe. Corsa does that inside their mufflers and Solo and MBRP does it outside the muffler. If the bottom line is no drone then fine but, the J pipes look, well aesthetically they leave a bit to be desired. Is there any way to incase the J pipe and exhaust pipe in a muffler type case with a door for access to do any J pipe adjustments? I noticed on the video of the SRT and on the G8s that you see these from the rear of the vehicle through the cut out for the exhaust and I for one do not like that.
3. As others have said, Challengers beg for a rectangular type exhaust outlet. Kudos for the option to use the factory standard or FF tips. Not a question here, just kudos.
4. When will the system for the 6.1 6sp be ready?
5. Based on what has been said, the J pipes come pre-set. What is the effect of adjustments? IE, if you slide the trombone slide in what impact does it have? If you move the trombone out what is the impact?
6. If a customer wanted it, could you fabricate the entire system out of 304? If so, how much would that add to the cost of the system? I mean a simple look at the Solo muffler and Solo tips answers the question of why one would want 304 VS 409.
7. Is the Solo system lighter than the stock system?

·
Registered
437 Posts
thanks for the responses and info Steve! I would love to listen to a vid of the r/t exhaust on the 6sp at 1600 - 1800 rpm in 6th. Would it be possible for you guys to record that for us?

I agree with shark, that the r/t exhaust sounded louder in the car - but I'm actually quite fine with that as I love the sound, just don't want drone at cruising speed!

·
Vendor
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Sharkcohen. I understand your concerns. Let me try and explain what we try to do when we design a kit...We try and find the absolute best balance point between a wonderful sounding exhaust note and no drone coupled with no bad RPM ranges. It is often very hard to find this balance point. We design much of our raw product to help us achieve these goals. We have put multiple exhaust systems on the R/T Challenger Standard (we have not had a chance to do an auto yet) with great success in finding this "sweet spot." The R/T with the Solo exhaust kit sounds as one customer put it "a very angry lion when you get on it." Our kit has captured the essence of "Raw American Muscle" with no trouble RPM ranges with just our MACH-X (drone sucking) muffler. If we were to put additional resonators or J-Pipes on this kit it would "kill" the wonderful exhaust note and make it way too quiet.
The J-Pipes work best when you reduce the bad RPM range as much as possible with mufflers and resonators but you still can't "get it right." J-Pipes are a last resort to tweak out one or more unwanted frequencies that remain when you have a very troubling car like the SRT-8. The R/T Std. has no trouble ranges to tweak out with our exhaust kit. Putting J's in the R/T Std. would just increase costs and destroy our beautiful exhaust note that we were able to create.
The R/T is slightly louder than the SRT-8 both inside and outside but it is a wonderful non invasive deep raw sound that definitely doesn't need to be any quieter. It's very quiet at cruise speed but is deep and mean on rev and acceleration. I hope this helps.

·
Vendor
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi LoneStar. My response is in capitals and bold below. Thanks for your interest.

Before pulling the trigger between Corsa, MBRP, and Solo I have been waiting for the Solo product to be ready. I guess it still is not for the 6.1 6 sp cars. To come to my final decision I have a few questions and instead of calling or sending an email I thought I would post them here just incase others may have the same ones and are interested in the answers.

1. In all the sound clips there appears to be a very pronounced raspy sound when the throttle is let off. Sounds like the sound one would hear if they had an exhaust leak. I have to assume it is not an exhaust leak so I have to ask what that is.THIS IS AN INHERENT QUALITY OF THE CHALLENGERS. IT SOUNDS FAR WORSE ON VIDEO THAN IT DOES IN PERSON. THE VIDEO SEEMS TO "PICK UP ON THIS" AND CAPTURE IT MORE THAN IN REAL LIFE.
2. I understand the concept of the J pipe. Corsa does that inside their mufflers and Solo and MBRP does it outside the muffler. If the bottom line is no drone then fine but, the J pipes look, well aesthetically they leave a bit to be desired. Is there any way to incase the J pipe and exhaust pipe in a muffler type case with a door for access to do any J pipe adjustments? I noticed on the video of the SRT and on the G8s that you see these from the rear of the vehicle through the cut out for the exhaust and I for one do not like that. WE DID OUR ABSOLUTE BEST TO MAKE THE J'S AS INVISIBLE AS POSSIBLE. WITH THE CAR UP IN THE AIR THEY ARE NOTICEABLE BUT ON THE GROUND THEY ARE FAIRLY HIDDEN. THERE IS NO WAY FOR US TO INSERT THEM INTO THE PIPE AS THEY WOULD RESTRICT FLOW AND THERE WOULD ALSO BE OTHER COMPLICATIONS. UNFORTUNATELY THEY ARE NECESSARY ON THE SRT-8 TO CAPTURE A WONDERFUL EXHAUST NOTE AND ELIMINATE THE TROUBLE RPM RANGES. THEY ARE NOT USED AT ALL ON THE R/T KIT, AS THEY WERE NOT NEEDED AND WOULD HAVE ADDED TO THE COST.
3. As others have said, Challengers beg for a rectangular type exhaust outlet. Kudos for the option to use the factory standard or FF tips. Not a question here, just kudos. WE STARTED WITH RECTANGULAR TIPS BUT THEY JUST DIDN'T LOOK RIGHT. WE WILL TRY DOWN THE ROAD TO DESIGN A SET THAT WILL WORK FOR THE CHALLENGERS. OUR TEST SUBJECTS (CHRYSLER DEALERS) BEGGED US FOR QUADS.
4. When will the system for the 6.1 6sp be ready? KITS ARE READY TO SHIP RIGHT NOW.
5. Based on what has been said, the J pipes come pre-set. What is the effect of adjustments? IE, if you slide the trombone slide in what impact does it have? If you move the trombone out what is the impact? THERE WILL BE DRONE RANGES AND OR BOG RANGES. THE J'S ARE NOT DESIGNED TO CHANGE THE EXHAUST NOTE AS MUCH AS THEY ARE DESIGNED TO TWEAK OUT TROUBLE RPM RANGES.
6. If a customer wanted it, could you fabricate the entire system out of 304? If so, how much would that add to the cost of the system? I mean a simple look at the Solo muffler and Solo tips answers the question of why one would want 304 VS 409. UNFORTUNATELY OUR MANDREL BENDER CANNOT BEND T304. WE WOULD NEED TO GET ALL NEW TOOLING ETC. EVEN IF WE COULD, THE COST WOULD INCREASE, AS T304 IN A MORE EXPENSIVE GRADE OF STAINLESS AND WASN'T NECESSARY FOR THE PIPING. THE PIPING WILL LAST 15+ YEARS ON A DAILY DRIVER!
7. Is the Solo system lighter than the stock system? MUCH LIGHTER! HOPEFULLY SOME OF OUR FIRST CUSTOMERS CAN WEIGH THE DIFFERENCE.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Hi Sharkcohen. I understand your concerns. Let me try and explain what we try to do when we design a kit...We try and find the absolute best balance point between a wonderful sounding exhaust note and no drone coupled with no bad RPM ranges. It is often very hard to find this balance point. We design much of our raw product to help us achieve these goals. We have put multiple exhaust systems on the R/T Challenger Standard (we have not had a chance to do an auto yet) with great success in finding this "sweet spot." The R/T with the Solo exhaust kit sounds as one customer put it "a very angry lion when you get on it." Our kit has captured the essence of "Raw American Muscle" with no trouble RPM ranges with just our MACH-X (drone sucking) muffler. If we were to put additional resonators or J-Pipes on this kit it would "kill" the wonderful exhaust note and make it way too quiet.
The J-Pipes work best when you reduce the bad RPM range as much as possible with mufflers and resonators but you still can't "get it right." J-Pipes are a last resort to tweak out one or more unwanted frequencies that remain when you have a very troubling car like the SRT-8. The R/T Std. has no trouble ranges to tweak out with our exhaust kit. Putting J's in the R/T Std. would just increase costs and destroy our beautiful exhaust note that we were able to create.
The R/T is slightly louder than the SRT-8 both inside and outside but it is a wonderful non invasive deep raw sound that definitely doesn't need to be any quieter. It's very quiet at cruise speed but is deep and mean on rev and acceleration. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the response, Steve, I appreciate it.

I have the R/T auto. Do you guys have any plans on trying out on an auto, or perhaps even designing a seperate kit around the auto? I'm concerned about the impact of MDS on drone.

By the way, I really like the round tips.

·
Vendor
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the responses and info Steve! I would love to listen to a vid of the r/t exhaust on the 6sp at 1600 - 1800 rpm in 6th. Would it be possible for you guys to record that for us?

I agree with shark, that the r/t exhaust sounded louder in the car - but I'm actually quite fine with that as I love the sound, just don't want drone at cruising speed!
The R/T we most recently used to finish testing is back in the owner's hands. Possibly, he could take some video for us in that RPM range. Even though the car seems louder in the video than the SRT-8, it is still very tame inside at cruising speed. Using J pipes would make it too quiet. I like to call it "sound on demand". Cruising and light throttle will give you a very tame note with no intrusive noise, and stepping on it will unleash the best...still with no intrusive noise...just the sweet and smooth sound of the exhaust note.

·
Vendor
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the response, Steve, I appreciate it.

I have the R/T auto. Do you guys have any plans on trying out on an auto, or perhaps even designing a seperate kit around the auto? I'm concerned about the impact of MDS on drone.

By the way, I really like the round tips.
If you could, give me a call at 516-655-9002. The manual kits will fit the automatic, and we would love to get one out on the road. We have one on a customers car, and the customer had an emergency. We told him to call us back if there were any issues and we have not heard from him. It uses the same muffler as on our Camaro V8 automatic kit, and that has the MDS...it is perfect and has no drone. That muffler is really a "drone sucking" muffler.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My kit will be here on Fridayl; I am sure I will be putting it on asap!! I plan on taking some install pictures as well as video; I will write up a review once complete.

I will try to get some cruising speed vids and post those up; and I will do my best to weigh the difference between the stock and solo kit.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My kit will be here on Fridayl; I am sure I will be putting it on asap!! I plan on taking some install pictures as well as video; I will write up a review once complete.

I will try to get some cruising speed vids and post those up; and I will do my best to weigh the difference between the stock and solo kit.
that would be awesome! :werd:

·
Registered
437 Posts
The R/T we most recently used to finish testing is back in the owner's hands. Possibly, he could take some video for us in that RPM range. Even though the car seems louder in the video than the SRT-8, it is still very tame inside at cruising speed. Using J pipes would make it too quiet. I like to call it "sound on demand". Cruising and light throttle will give you a very tame note with no intrusive noise, and stepping on it will unleash the best...still with no intrusive noise...just the sweet and smooth sound of the exhaust note.
thanks Steve, I'm liking the sound of this more and more ... pardon the terrible pun, lol.

·
Vendor
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks Steve, I'm liking the sound of this more and more ... pardon the terrible pun, lol.
Any time! If you decide to order or have any questions, call me at 516-655-9002 until midnight EST, 7 days a week.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The price is $792. Shipping is included in that price?

Also the dyno that was done was that done w/stock tips or the quads? Don't know would that make that much of a difference.

Say there are 25 people committed that would be $198 refunded back for the $792 exhaust.

Thanks for the info.

Kevin

·
Vendor
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The price is $792. Shipping is included in that price?

Also the dyno that was done was that done w/stock tips or the quads? Don't know would that make that much of a difference.

Say there are 25 people committed that would be $198 refunded back for the $792 exhaust.

Thanks for the info.

Kevin
Kevin,
Yes, the $792 already includes shipping. The dyno was done with our quad tips, but it will not make a difference with the stock tips. If 25 people committed, the refund would be $198, making the price after refund $594 (for the NT kit). Usually, as more people jump in, more orders come in because the discount increases.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Exhaust is on the UPS truck and out for delivery!

So this will be getting put on TONIGHT! :banana:

As soon as I gather up some pics/vids I will post up!

1 - 20 of 376 Posts