Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Vendor
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It’s been a long process to get to this point and we very much appreciate your patience and understanding. Getting the SRT-8 Solo High Flow Converter “right� was no easy task and then we needed to test it in 3 cars to make sure that there were no problems. Thank you so much RENFRICK1, NYCSRTATE, and RT ROB, for testing and giving us your invaluable feedback and opinions. We couldn’t have done it without you! A big thanks to Renfrick1 for all the time and miles of driving from Connecticut to our Buffalo store to get this process started and ultimately finished!

SRT-8 Converter Specs

• 200 cell stainless steel spiral wound design. This design is long lasting, ultra-high flow, and completely stainless inside and out.
  • Converters are far overrated for the car, at 6.0L per side. That’s 12.0L of cleaning ability.
  • Includes a special design stainless steel 3/8â€� thick front flange.
  • All pipes, O2 bungs, and welds are stainless steel.
  • For sound reasons we had to incorporate a free flow resonator behind the converter. With just the converter, the performance was great but the sound was horrible. With the addition of the resonator we now have great sound (about 15%-20% more noise overall) and performance.
  • These converters are not CARB certified for the SRT-8, but they do pass all emissions and keep the CEL light off. They are technically for off road use only.
  • The converters passed the emissions test in Connecticut with flying colors.
  • Each converter assembly is about 4 feet long. It goes from the manifold to the first connection.
  • No CEL or engine lights to date!
  • 100% BOLT ON!

Price: $797 shipped

Video

Some comments from Renfrick1, NYCsrtate and RT Rob:

• It sounds and performs incredible.
  • My gas mileage went from 14mpg to 17mpg.
  • The fit, finish and function is all there.
  • Crazy swings in the Dyno numbers. From 12 RWHP to 30 RWHP gains on two different dyno’s with 2 different SRT-8’s.
  • It sounds even deeper and better.
  • There’s nothing but pluses with these converters. Better mileage, better sound, better performance!
  • Absolutely no drone!
Pipe, converter and resonator sizes:

• Pipe – 3â€� mandrel bent stainless steel.
  • Converter – 3â€� 200 cell.
  • Resonator – 2 ½â€� free flow resonator.
  • End connection – 2 ¾â€� stock connection size
Explanation of Free Flow Resonator Assembly: "Bigger is not always better"

The SRT-8 converter assembly “without� the resonator is unbearably loud and not in a good way. Being a virtually unsellable unit we decided to engineer a free flow resonator into the converter assembly. Of course we started off with a 3� resonator. There were some drawbacks with sound quality and the “bottom end� had a bit too much lag. We decided to try a 2 ½� resonator after Renfrick1 was seriously contemplating going back to the stock converters and we are so glad we did. The sound quality is 100% and the bottom end power is significantly better. With the 2 ½� resonator on instead of the 3� Renfrick1 gained 2/10 of a second in the 1/8 mile.

Exhaust works on heat and pressure principles (among others) and these principles can be best illustrated using a “fire� and a “chimney flue.� If you have a proper sized fire what happens is the flue heats up and the smoke is “drawn� up the flue, because of the heat, under pressure. Everything flows well and properly. If the “fire� is too small (or the flue is too big) the smoke languishes around and usually finds its way up the flue but it doesn’t flow properly or well. The flue (or the exhaust pipe) if too big actually hinders the flow. Just like the fire and flue have to be sized to “fit� each other for optimum performance so does the exhaust pipe size and the engine output.

Special requests for 3� resonators:

If you are doing a supercharger, magnacharger or extreme engine mods the 3� resonator would make sense. We will make these on a special order basis and please call Steve to place this order. There will be “no additional charge� for this. We can’t stress enough that these 3� resonators don’t belong on SRT-8’s with normal mods such as intake, exhaust and a computer tune. Thanks so much for your patience and support! Please feel free to call, email, or post in this thread with questions.

Contact Information:

Steve Mariano

[email protected]
516-655-9002 (7 days, until midnight EST)

Attachments

·
Vendor
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Group Buy List:

1. beepahh
2. C. Botta- PAID
3. B5Blue1- PAID
4. J. Smolinski- PAID
5. Mobius1- PAID
6. cruiserdan- PAID
7. svtcharlie- PAID
8. J. Unterholzner
9. srt8smashin!- PAID
10. OntheRock08- PAID
11. S. Ferguson- PAID
12. J. Barcenas- PAID
13. N. Bourgeois- PAID
14. tacticalrifleman- PAID
15. Buffalo Store Customer- PAID

We have plenty more in stock so please call if interested:)

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I'll be the first to respond, these things are awesome!! i have had no issues at all with these cats.i have over 1200 miles and no cel. the performance and sound of these things is far better than having just the mach x exhaust .they really compliment themselves click on the video above for a sample of how they sound.if anyone has any questions and feel they would like to talk to me before buying feel free to pm me and we can exchange phone numbers.i have no affiliation with solo performance just a guy with a car.I do have to say that solo is a company that cares about what they sell and who they employ.They are by far one of the best companies I have ever dealt with.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Great system, great power, sound and NO CEL!

Solo is the way to go.

·
Registered
485 Posts
put me on the group buy list PM sent......4/18/11

·
Vendor
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
put me on the group buy list PM sent......4/18/11
I have added you to the list. Please call me direct at 516-655-9002 to take care of payment and we can get a set out to you:)

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
That video is with there Mach x exhaust and hf cats. It's a perfect match. I love the sound it produces. It's a srt with the stock tune that comes with it and it's an auto.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
For those who may be on the fence... let me say this:

High Flow cats allow your engine to breathe more efficiently, creating more power, better sound, and better fuel economy (if you can keep your foot out of it a little bit! lol)

I've had my SOLO High Flow Cats on my g8 for more than a year now (~18k miles give or take), and while the g8 is a totally different animal to the SRT8 and R/T Challengers, (I'm not here to start turf wars; rather to commend SOLO to continue to innovate and push the envelope for Performance Enthusiasts with their newest product offerings!) I can tell you that the SOLO HFC's are AWESOME!!

I can tell you one thing, these things are built to last. SOLO quality and customer service is TOP NOTCH; there is a reason their products are so positively reviewed, not to mention their top-rated customer service and willingness to make the most perfect product that they possibly can.

After nearly 20k miles, my SOLO HFC's are as perfect as the day they were installed. DO NOT HESITATE, these are the REAL DEAL.

Best of luck with the group buy, Steve and the SOLO crew. And Thanks to Renfrick1 for all the testing that he and his car went through to bring these to market. I can geniunely say that I know EXACTLY how you feel, Renfrick1. :)Been there, done that.:)

--zepcom

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Well said zepcom. I know you where a big contributor to the jay pipe inavasion. And if it wasn't for you none of us would have a drone free exhaust. On behalf of the challenger members who bought the Mach x exhaust, thank you. Let me tell you it was a long winter for me to keep going back and forth to buffalo but it was well worth it. I hope that the members who were waiting for these cats understand that it's a long process too get it right and solo is not a company that will release anything just to make a buck. They really care about us and what they create. After all it has there name on it , and when it has your name on it you want it to be the best.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Was sold on this until I saw about going to S/C would probably want the 3" instead. I am going to go that route but not sure exactly when. I might have to sit on the fence until I commit to the S/C then revisit this. Nice to hear about the options though. Love the exhaust

·
Registered
978 Posts
What would these high-flow cats sound like paired up with a different companies cat-back exhaust?

In my case I have a Zoomer's cat-back and I would be hesitant to get HF cats because I don't want it to be TOO loud or change the tone to something I don't like.

Any suggestions?

How much of the sound in that video is coming from the SOLO exhaust vs the cats?

·
Vendor
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What would these high-flow cats sound like paired up with a different companies cat-back exhaust?

In my case I have a Zoomer's cat-back and I would be hesitant to get HF cats because I don't want it to be TOO loud or change the tone to something I don't like.

Any suggestions?

How much of the sound in that video is coming from the SOLO exhaust vs the cats?
It would be hard for us to say what your exhaust would sound like. The only fair thing I can say is that it will add 15-20% volume, as well as make it deeper. Whether or not that will cause drone on your particular setup, I can not honestly tell you. We know that it does not drone on our kit. Worst comes to worst, you could always purchase a set of our J pipes and have them welded to your exhaust to kill any drone that may appear.

As for the amount of sound coming from our exhaust vs. the cats...that's really hard to give an accurate answer...the HF cats will only make it deeper and give more volume to the tone that is already there. Hopefully that makes sense. It should not change the tone much, other than making it deeper on your setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok I want to buy it on May 1st. Can you ship it out to Cali? I'd only be installing it on my car for off-road use of course haha. Imma be dealing with zoomers exhaust as well so I'll need confirmation whether it would still bolt-on %100. ;););););) get me on this love train. my challenger is dying to express itself more "openly".

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm in too! Ordered mine from Jeff today. Have been waiting for a product like this to come along since one of the SRT engineers stated that the cats were the cork in the SRT8's air system. Im adding them to a Corsa cat back system and can't wait to hear that deeper note!

1 - 20 of 302 Posts