Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit. SCREW YOU AUTO-CORRECT! Zoomers ZOOMERS freakin Zoomers. EAT SH1T AND DIE PHONE

Title sums it up. Not really looking for a pissing match. I've heard great things about both. Challenger is a 2014 R/T Auto so MDS comes into play, as I don't plan on getting a tuner under warranty.

Key points I'm looking for is:
What's Louder
What's Deeper
Power Production
Ease of Installation
Known issues

I'm sure each have their advantage/disadvantage over the other in key areas. I'm just wanting to sort it out and make an educated purchase with hard earned money.

PRE-Thanks for chiming in with you experience :)

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I have the Borla on my R/T A5

ATAK and Touring both drone
I have ridden in an R/T A5 (MDS disabled) car with a Solo - loved it. zero drone and just the right amount of roar for a daily driver
I have ridden in a R/T A5 (MDs enabled) with a Corsa Xtreme. It didn't drone, but you could tell it was trying to. Corsa had just managed to get rid of the drone. If I hadn't also heard the Solo I would have been tempted by the Corsa.

FWIW I'm putting a Solo system on my car this Friday based upon my research.

I believe all the cat-backs are equally easy to install. No advantage between them.

I'd also think any difference between the system as far as power gained is probably negligible. Sound is the major differentiator and is the thing you'll care about the most.

Sorry, can't give specifics on the Zoomers. I haven't come across one yet to be able to say how it sounded.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I have been leaning towards the Solo also. I wish I could hear it in person though. Videos never do exhaust systems justice

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
One more thing, not that it is relevant to your specific question, the Borla ATAK sounds absolutely fabulous at WOT, and while cruisin' round the neighbourhood at 1000-1,500 rpms.

None of the other systems compared to just how good that exhaust sounded in those conditions. Not even close.

However - the drone at 1,900-2,400RPMs (normal freeway driving RPMS), I couldn't stand it.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Thanks! I have been leaning towards the Solo also. I wish I could hear it in person though. Videos never do exhaust systems justice
Sound clips are pretty worthless when it comes to determining internal cabin drone. Most clips are done while in Park (no drone on the Borla doing that), or at WOT (no drone on the Borla doing that).

Just sitting cruising at 65mph on the freeway, apply a light touch on the accelerator pedal - not many video clips show that.

I have heard good things about Zoomers on this forum. Those guys will chime in soon. I just haven't had the opportunity to hear a live Zoomers system in Houston, and since I got a used set of Solo pipes for a reasonable price from a CT member in Houston, that is the way I'm going to go.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See I'd LOVE a neighborhood growl like that! What you just described sounds Perfect. Minus, like you said, the drone.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
See I'd LOVE a neighborhood growl like that! What you just described sounds Perfect. Minus, like you said, the drone.
My current plan is to install on Friday the SRT headers, the Solo high flow cats, and the Solo Cat-back.
Run with it for a few 100 miles, to evaluate the sound.

Then if the mounting points match up between the Borla and the Solo cat back, I'm considering switching out the Solo mufflers with the Borla ATAK mufflers. I'm curious if the funky J-pipe - trombone thing in the Solo can work some magic on the ATAK mufflers.

They might not match up, and I'm not going to pay a muffler shop to custom fit it. And maybe the J-pipe is too specific to the Solo muffler. But I'll investigate once I have both systems, and some spare time.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Can't wait to hear about your results! Sounds like a neat collaboration
Borla have been trying to help me with the drone, shipping a set of Venturi inserts to try, then even shipping a set of the Touring mufflers to me at no cost to see if those would eliminate the drone.

The Touring mufflers lessened the volume of the drone, but it also increased the RPM range it was present. So it wasn't a solution for me.

If the Borla ATAKs work with the Solo J-pipes I'd be really happy (and super lucky).

I'll do a bit of R&D for Borla since they have been trying to help me. ;)

If the experiment doesn't work I'll sell the Borla to someone with a M6, those guys seem happier with Borla exhausts as they can shift around the drone zone with ease. And they get to keep the benefit of low RPM cruising, and WOT.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I've had both zoomers and solo. I like the solo better. Zoomer is louder
Then solo' machX and straight pipe system. It's loud all the time. Deep ness is a trade off
Power production? It's a catback not a blower. So there's a draw. Ease of install, solo hands down. Fitment on zoomers, Not so much but not horable
Solo no drone. Zoomers drone when cold. You decide. I'm running the solo straight pipe system now and wouldnt change it for zoomers. But both exhausts are very good. The only other thing you didn't mention is cost. Solo is cheaper then Zoomers

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Sound clips are pretty worthless when it comes to determining internal cabin drone. Most clips are done while in Park (no drone on the Borla doing that), or at WOT (no drone on the Borla doing that).

Just sitting cruising at 65mph on the freeway, apply a light touch on the accelerator pedal - not many video clips show that.

I have heard good things about Zoomers on this forum. Those guys will chime in soon. I just haven't had the opportunity to hear a live Zoomers system in Houston, and since I got a used set of Solo pipes for a reasonable price from a CT member in Houston, that is the way I'm going to go.
Maybe this will help. :) This same road was unbearable with the reso delete, especially up that same hill at the same speed and RPM. You can tell in the video I'm talking at a normal level and you can hear the road and wind noise, but...no noise from the exhaust. I can listen to XM radio on volume level 7 without a problem, with the reso delete I'd have to turn it up to 20+ in order to hear it well enough over the drone. Also keep in mind I'm also running shorty headers.

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had originally welded on a set of flow master 44's in lieu of the suit cases at the back...great sound, terrible drone.

Solo system installed, no drone. Nice muscle car sound on the gas, pretty tame if you keep your foot out of it. I've noticed a bit of a flutter sound under heavy acceleration, and a bit higher pitch than the flow master. Over all very happy with the system. Great fit and finish, easy to install and all the hardware included.

Recommend Solo based on my experience.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Can't speak for the auto guys, but I can't get the solo to drone even if I try on my 6 speed. There are a couple challengers with Flowmaster setups around here and they don't even come close to the sound...

I get nothing but compliments, but in all honesty I don't think you will be disappointed spending the cash on either setup. Solo is more new school performance sound, Zoomers is a bit more old school. Bad ass either way.

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Can't speak for the auto guys, but I can't get the solo to drone even if I try on my 6 speed. There are a couple challengers with Flowmaster setups around here and they don't even come close to the sound...

I get nothing but compliments, but in all honesty I don't think you will be disappointed spending the cash on either setup. Solo is more new school performance sound, Zoomers is a bit more old school. Bad ass either way.
You summed it up perfectly. Nothing wrong with Solo but it's very quiet for most (including me). I've always wanted my car to look feel and sound like an old school muscle car and Zoomers does not disappoint! Even my wife loves it and she isn't into cars, it's not too loud for her or my toddler.

Reactions: Bruski and DJ Hemi

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You summed it up perfectly. Nothing wrong with Solo but it's very quiet for most (including me). I've always wanted my car to look feel and sound like an old school muscle car and Zoomers does not disappoint! Even my wife loves it and she isn't into cars, it's not too loud for her or my toddler.
LOL, I remember when you first installed. You said omg, it is way to loud. I told you to wait a few months to let your ears adjust to it. Bam, you love em' now eh? Haha, I went thru the same thing when I got them. They are such a great sounding exhaust.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My RT is an automatic but I put the solo 6 speed exhaust on it without the j-pipes. I tend to like my exhaust a bit on the louder side. I've had cars roll their windows down while driving behind me and then drive up and say the sound is "like music to their ears". I love my Solo! If you ever get up to Toronto you are welcome to take it for a drive.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
My RT is an automatic but I put the solo 6 speed exhaust on it without the j-pipes. I tend to like my exhaust a bit on the louder side.
Do you prefer it to be louder inside or outside? I ask because the J-pipes control drone inside the car and don't make the exhaust quieter from the outside.

Anyone that's worried about the J-pipes making the exhaust quiet on the outside, don't worry. It's still loud when you get on it. :)

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear All,

newbie to this forum but been on other challenger forums since 2010. Just took possession of a new Shaker R/T and traded in my 2010 R/T. Anyways, looking to upgrade the exhaust and have heard a lot of positive buzz about the solo mach X. One negative I have seen was a comment about a perceived loss of low end torque after putting on the solo cat back. Anyone else experience this or have any comments?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts