Dodge Challenger Forum banner

What exhaust gives the 392 Auto Old School Deep Rumble without being annoying?

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright all, I know this has been beaten to death, but I’m still split between Solo and Zoomers. Most of the reviews I’ve ran across are on the R/T or Manual. I have a 14 SRT Auto, and it’s too quiet for my taste... I’m looking for an old school deep rumble and have narrowed it down to these two. This is a daily driver during the warm months, so I don’t want something that’s going to wake the neighbors up at 6 am, but I would also like to hear the nice rumble when idling at a stoplight.

I actually like hearing the exhaust sound while driving, but don’t like it so loud it gives me a headache (had a 1600 Roadstar with straight pipes for years, so I got my fill of overly loud exhaust). I know the solo has adjustable J pipes to help with the drone, but it’s also quieter in cabin than the Zoomers, however the zoomers are also about $500 more. Videos on YouTube give you an idea of the sound, but are still difficult to judge. I haven’t been able to track anyone down in CO that has either setup to hear in person.

I currently have a JLT CAI ( Thanks kenandjenn455) and am planning high flow cats and trinity tuner down the line.

Any honest reviews with a similar setup would be awesome!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Alright all, I know this has been beaten to death, but I’m still split between Solo and Zoomers. Most of the reviews I’ve ran across are on the R/T or Manual. I have a 14 SRT Auto, and it’s too quiet for my taste... I’m looking for an old school deep rumble and have narrowed it down to these two. This is a daily driver during the warm months, so I don’t want something that’s going to wake the neighbors up at 6 am, but I would also like to hear the nice rumble when idling at a stoplight.

I actually like hearing the exhaust sound while driving, but don’t like it so loud it gives me a headache (had a 1600 Roadstar with straight pipes for years, so I got my fill of overly loud exhaust). I know the solo has adjustable J pipes to help with the drone, but it’s also quieter in cabin than the Zoomers, however the zoomers are also about $500 more. Videos on YouTube give you an idea of the sound, but are still difficult to judge. I haven’t been able to track anyone down in CO that has either setup to hear in person.

I currently have a JLT CAI ( Thanks kenandjenn455) and am planning high flow cats and trinity tuner down the line.

Any honest reviews with a similar setup would be awesome!!

Thanks!
Zoomers is great IF you can stand the flutter.

I had Zoomers (3" system) on my 2014 R/T w/ long tubes and it sounded great. However, it required the Zoomers tips to help resolve the flutter.

For my Scat Pack, I initially purchased Zoomers for it. The flutter was horrible and, unfortunately, Zoomers doesn't make tips for the 2015+ cars.

I now have the Solo Street Race exhaust and it is definitely a more "violent" exhaust and a good bit louder than Zoomers.

I would imagine the Solo Mach Shorty system would be more in line with Zoomers concerning sound volume.

Regarding fitment.... both Zoomers systems I installed were a pain to put on. It was tough to get everything lined up right. The Solo design it better IMO and was easier to install.

Since you have a 2014, you will probably really like Zoomers if you get the tips. However, it will be double the cost of the Solo systems.

I recommend that you go with the Solo Mach Shorty system.

On a pure personal level, I have reservations about Zoomers standing behind their products. They absolutely screwed up the release of their systems for the 2015 cars with Active Exhaust. They put together a hack job design for the AES system and it never worked for me.

If you notice, you won't see any Hellcats or pretty much anyone running their systems on the newer cars. Between the crappy AES design and the flutter... no way.

Lisa at Speedlogix owns Zoomers and, while she seems like a decent person, I wasn't pleased with how they handled everything.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had MBRP on my 09 R/T the exhaust sounded amazing outside the car but inside the drone was insance, but that could have been fixed by now. On my 15 I went with a Corsa Extreme because it worked with active exhaust, If my car didn't have active exhaust I would have went for the 3" Kooks exhaust. I've only heard one zoomers exhaust in person and I agree the flutter was

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,803 Posts
I voted other because the Dynomax mini bullets sound good. Do a search on Youtube for

dynomax mini bullet challenger

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
644 Posts
I had solo catless pipes and they were horrible. First set wouldn't seal at collector.
Oh you got our old design well send you new ones, same thing just not as bad of a leak but then I'd get the cel light. And said screw it went back to stock pipes and everything was fine. This was on a 13 SRT 6M.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, just bought the Solo this morning. They have a 15% off sale this week, so figured it's worth a try for the price.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Well, just bought the Solo this morning. They have a 15% off sale this week, so figured it's worth a try for the price.

:banger:

Let us know how that goes.

Personally looking at the NOWEEDS myself and leaving the exhaust stock.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts

I have heard about the issue with fitment of the Zoomers system on the cars with active exhaust and I know
that Zoomers is owned by SL now and they didn't do a real good job fixing the issue. It's a shame because
when I bought my Zoomers system it was still owned by the man in California and fit and finish was head and
shoulders above most other exhaust systems I've owned (and I've owned Corsa, Borla, Flowmaster, Dynomax etc).

I went Zoomers and have loved them since day one. But knowing about the issues of recent years I wouldn't
recommend them for a 15+ car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,803 Posts
You must give out full sized candy bars on Halloween for you're neighbors to put up with you :)

A Guy

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
You must give out full sized candy bars on Halloween for you're neighbors to put up with you :)

A Guy
They've gotten used to it over the decades :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
After lots of research I went with Zoomers as well on my 2011 392 auto I bought new. I bought a used set and had no fitment issues, so I can't comment on the newer stuff.

Flutter is an issue with dual tips because they constrict the 3" exhaust a lot. I'm currently using the stock single out and flutter is not bad. I have a huge set of dual tips I purchased on ebay that I have yet to install, but a buyer commented "no flutter" so I'm guessing that guy used them on a set of Zoomers.

I love the sound and tone of Zoomers and it makes me just want to hit the gas pedal even more to hear it growl. I don't think they are too loud when cruising.

I had the stock exhaust on for 5+ years and wish I would have done this sooner.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,701 Posts
I went with the Solo setup for Ruby (our 2015 SRT 392) and I Really like it.

It's Great quality 3" stainless that has smooth mandrel bents (no kinks) and has no mufflers, resonators or drone (Those J-pipes do work). It is pretty loud, but that's to be expected for an exhaust without mufflers or resonators.

I don't thing the tone is much deeper than stock, but it's quite a bit louder.

At Wide Open Throttle is where the exhaust shines! It's sound is almost exotic in sound and my ears hear it as a cross between a muscle car and a Winston Cup car (NASCAR) and is hard to explain.

The bonus is also that Steve from Solo has some of the best Customer service around too. Not too mention that his prices are Great too compared to the Zoomers and the Magnaflow setups too. I bought ours a couple of years ago and put a pair of 4" dual outlet tips on her because it's different and our exhaust setup looks as good as she sounds.

It would be one of the best sounding exhaust systems on the planet if someone were to put some long tube headers in front of the Solo (even with cats still on). I'm just too cheap to do it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, have had the exhaust on for a couple weeks, and I love it.

Ran into a couple issue with the install, one of the connecting joints was bent up (nothing a BFH couldn't take care of) and would have been easier with a lift and an extra set of hands. But was able to get it done myself with the rear jacked up. I'll run it over to my uncle's shop in the spring to do some small tweaks and level out everything 100%.

For sound - good deep tone. I can hear it while driving down the road, and can actually hear it idling at lights now! Will probably go with high flow cats or the x pipe in the future for a little more sound, but she still sounds mean.

Drone - What drone? My stock auto pipes put out more than these do.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,701 Posts
Alright, have had the exhaust on for a couple weeks, and I love it.

Ran into a couple issue with the install, one of the connecting joints was bent up (nothing a BFH couldn't take care of) and would have been easier with a lift and an extra set of hands. But was able to get it done myself with the rear jacked up. I'll run it over to my uncle's shop in the spring to do some small tweaks and level out everything 100%.

For sound - good deep tone. I can hear it while driving down the road, and can actually hear it idling at lights now! Will probably go with high flow cats or the x pipe in the future for a little more sound, but she still sounds mean.

Drone - What drone? My stock auto pipes put out more than these do.
Congratulations on your new exhaust! It sounds like you're Happy with it! :cheers:

Which exhaust did you end up getting?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've tried 3-4 different setups in my Scatpack, mostly different mufflers with or without the resonators, I would have never thought i was going to be unhappy with the selection so quickly, i've tried mids delete with factory resonator, Dynomax Minis with factory resonators, Dynomax minis with res delete, Magnaflow Magnapacks with factory resonatos, Magnapacks with Res delete, and now Black Widow Race Venom mufflers without resonators, i have more drone now with the Widows, but i love the tone of the mufflers, i've found for some weird reason bullet style mufflers will amplify this awkard trumpet like tone on the exhaust that i hate with all my guts when i go WOT from 2000 to 5500rpm or so, it reminds me of those old bikes with long azz pipes and flat exhaust tips that makes them sound like there is a tuba attached to their exhaust..., the Widow squared mufflers eliminiated that tuba like sound 100%, they're not loud when sitting in the driver seat, but they're quite loud from behind, exhaust tone is deep and muscle like at idle, without being give me a ticket loud, and they scream nothing but aggression at WOT, you may not think that way if you're sitting behind the steering wheel, but if you hear the car from the back during startups, or spirited like manouvers, your opinion will quickly shift for good haha.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
971 Posts
I personally love my Zoomers exhaust for the sound. However, I must report that I have had an issue arise with the quality. Last fall I started to notice a strange rattling under the car, but was unable to determine the exact cause due to the fact that I was deployed shortly after it started. Note, the exhaust was about 2 1/2 years old at that time and now 3 years old at this point.

After I returned from my deployment back in this last April I was finally able to determine that it was one of the mufflers that was causing the rattle. I removed it and realized that the inner portion that gets welded in place had busted and was moving around inside the muffler housing.

I contacted Speedlogix(SX) to inquire about the warranty policy and never did receive a legal or legit policy. All I got was that the policy is I (the customer) can send the muffler to California and it would be repaired and sent back. I inform SX that this would not work for me since I am stationed in Germany and the car is my daily driver. I could not go without a vehicle for the amount of time this would take. Also, I’m not sure about the repair. I guess they would cut it open and re-weld then seal the casing again. Hmmm....

So, SX said the could sell me one discounted to $160 vs the normal cost of $450 plus $45 shipping. So $205 total for a replacement. I was ok with this just to be able to resolve the issue since it sounds like crap and is embarrassing to drive. It’s now been 42 days since I officially placed the new order, which took a week to do thanks to delayed responses from SX. It has also been 20 days since SX created a shipping label, by has yet to ship the item.

Reason for this post..... I love the Zoomers exhaust. However, wanted to advise as to the service you will receive if it busts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts