Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2011 Challenger RT started making very loud valve train noises at start up after the timing chain recall procedure (details here). After being told it was normal by many people at the dealership and over the web, I was going to try a procedure I found on-line for clearing trapped air from the lifters but I decided to try a different solution first.

I traded my 2011 Challenger RT in on a 2014 Challenger SRT 392 which has no hemi tick (other than the fuel injectors which are hardly noticeable). Well, the good news is that solution worked at least for now. The bad news is it was a very expensive solution.

Hopefully it will be a long term solution. However, if this one starts to tick I will probably have to find another way to solve it. I cannot afford to trade it in on something else!

BTW, after transferring my stuff from my traded in 2011, which had sat for only a couple of hours, to my new 2014 which was quietly idling, the sales person started my 2011. It made surprisingly loud valve train noises. I had never heard the noises outside of my car. After hearing that start up I was reassured that I had made the right decision, at least for me.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Whatever it takes. Enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent decision - of course the usual requests exist; what is the color? Do you have pics?
Thanks - I should have bought one years ago but could not justify the purchase price. I guess this is what I needed to rationalize the price in my mind. I'm still suffering a little buyers remorse but the car is way more fun than the RT was - even being easy on it for break in. At first I thought going from an automatic to a standard would be a draw back since I wouldn't be able to drive and drink my coffee in the morning but now I don't think that way. Who needs coffee to wake you up in the morning when you have 392 engine with a six speed standard tranny.

Here are some pictures of it on the show room floor. It had 16 miles on it.

p.s., one of the pictures shows the dealership name so I want to say that they treated me right with the old Challenger "hemi tick" and were willing to continue to work with me. I just did not want to press it any further.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Never heard a "Hemi Tick" on my '14 but injectors can get loud sometimes. Doesn't bother me a bit!
Nice ride you have,I know you will enjoy it!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Beautiful car!

·
Registered
2012 R/T Classic
769 Posts
... I traded my 2011 Challenger RT in on a 2014 Challenger SRT 392 which has no hemi tick (other than the fuel injectors which are hardly noticeable). Well, the good news is that solution worked at least for now. The bad news is it was a very expensive solution...
Sounds like a reasonable solution to me. Sometimes you gotta think outside the box :thumbsup:
Congrats on your new (and tick free) ride :icon_cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts