Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sublime Challenger R/T - 6M - STP
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came across this website while trying to find a product to clean paint overspray off my windshield, sunroof and rear glass of my Challenger.

The webpage has a product selector about halfway down where you select the surface your cleaning and what you are trying to clean off of it. There's a ton of options to choose from.

Maybe for the more experienced DIYer the product needed to clean a specific item is basic knowledge, but I wanted to pass this along just in case it can help someone looking for solvent or cleaners to clean everything from stainless to Aluminum to bamboo and plaster.

Oh, and never trust a dealership to do what's right for a buyer. I asked for them to touch up my Challenger before I picked it up. Then I picked it up on a rainy day and by the time it stopped raining I found overspray everywhere. They coated the car with spots of blue-grey and black as well as some rip off factory sublime color that now dusts the entire car.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,490 Posts
FYI: the quickest, easiest, and safest way to get that overspray off your clear coat and windshield is by using some detail clay or one of the synthetic alternatives to detail clay (Nanoskin, etc).

Those overspray droplets doesn’t stand a chance against some good detail clay (and plenty of clay lube of course) and elbow grease!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Nuke. I've used clay in the past to clean dirty paint before polish and waxing and will plan to visit Wally World tomorrow to grab a few Clay Magic kits. Good call, thanks for the redirect 👍 Even if the clay and elbow grease work on the painted finish, I thought I'd look for a solution to clean the door seals, hood seal, trunk seal, grill surround, headlights, fog lights tail lights and maybe the wiper arms, among other plastics and lenses.

I knew the car needed some love and wasn't expecting a new car, but the dealership really screwed me with their attempt at touch up work. Over the past 45 days I've used every type of glass cleaner I could think of, used rubbing alcohol and even tried denatured alcohol to clean the windshield. I was looking into using Xylene for cleaning the glass when I came across the website I posted.

The whole windshield looks like the overspray still coats the glass, and it creates a blurred effect if the sun hits it a certain way. I've cleaned both sides of the windshield with denatured alcohol several times, and even used a flat razor but nothing seems to help. I was looking into using Xylene when I came across the website I posted.

Do you think I should give the Xylene a try? Anyone have any experience with this glass situation?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,027 Posts
There are products with mild abrasives for polishing windshields

A Guy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks A Guy, I'll look into the polishing compound and see what that can do. I guess last resort is replacement.

I just realized I haven't posted any pics of the outside of my car and will post some later today.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
714 Posts
Lacquer thinner will remove overspray from glass quickly. Start with a lightly dampened rag and rub with enough pressure that you can feel the drag caused by the overspray, get the rag wetter as you become comfortable with the process. Lacquer can be used to remove overspray from cured painted surfaces in the same manner. Just don't do anything stupid such as leaving the thinner container or the rag on the vehicle. Before anyone has a hissy fit I've been using thinner in this manner for over 50 years and have not damaged anything yet but have saved a ton of time removing overspray and graffiti.

·
Premium Member
7,490 Posts
Lacquer thinner will remove overspray from glass quickly. Start with a lightly dampened rag and rub with enough pressure that you can feel the drag caused by the overspray, get the rag wetter as you become comfortable with the process. Lacquer can be used to remove overspray from cured painted surfaces in the same manner. Just don't do anything stupid such as leaving the thinner container or the rag on the vehicle. Before anyone has a hissy fit I've been using thinner in this manner for over 50 years and have not damaged anything yet but have saved a ton of time removing overspray and graffiti.
My 2014 was spray painted when I got it. Not overspray either, someone actually painted the car with spray paint. Lacquer thinner worked great to remove that colossal f-up. But it also ate thru the original paint underneath the spray paint in some spots.

I should have been more careful, but I wasn’t. I would do it the same again though, as there’s no good way to remove that spray paint quickly without sanding it off, and that wasn’t an option.

Will lacquer thinner work for overspray? Absolutely, but it seems like overkill given the other, relatively harmless, options available for overspray removal.

To each his own though. The main thing to remember is do NOT spray paint your car’s next paint job. It looks like crap and it will be a mess for the next owner to remove. 😡

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
714 Posts
My 2014 was spray painted when I got it. Not overspray either, someone actually painted the car with spray paint. Lacquer thinner worked great to remove that colossal f-up. But it also ate thru the original paint underneath the spray paint in some spots.

I should have been more careful, but I wasn’t. I would do it the same again though, as there’s no good way to remove that spray paint quickly without sanding it off, and that wasn’t an option.

Will lacquer thinner work for overspray? Absolutely, but it seems like overkill given the other, relatively harmless, options available for overspray removal.

To each his own though. The main thing to remember is do NOT spray paint your car’s next paint job. It looks like crap and it will be a mess for the next owner to remove. 😡
Experienced people have a good idea how much and how long to apply thinner to a surface to remove overspray and other contaminants. That is why I advised to start with a lightly dampened rag. It actually takes heavy concentration and significant time for thinner to soften cured automotive paint but it will attack fresh rattle can enamel and other types of paint residing on unprepared surfaces quickly. It should work quickly and safely on glass.

I have never seen lacquer thinner eat through OE paint but then I never seen anyone soak a rag and let it sit on paint either. I did put a lacquer soaked rag in my back pocked many years ago and my ass burned for several hours so don't do that either. What was the method and amount of thinner used for paint removal on your 2014?

I've painted at least 1000 cars so I hope it's OK to spray paint my car if needed. Actually just repainted the front fascia on my Scat Pack because some $%%&#le backed into it causing damage under the driver side headlight. BTW, thanks to Oregon Scat for disassembly advise.

·
Premium Member
7,490 Posts
Experienced people have a good idea how much and how long to apply thinner to a surface to remove overspray and other contaminants. That is why I advised to start with a lightly dampened rag. It actually takes heavy concentration and significant time for thinner to soften cured automotive paint but it will attack fresh rattle can enamel and other types of paint residing on unprepared surfaces quickly. It should work quickly and safely on glass.

I have never seen lacquer thinner eat through OE paint but then I never seen anyone soak a rag and let it sit on paint either. I did put a lacquer soaked rag in my back pocked many years ago and my ass burned for several hours so don't do that either. What was the method and amount of thinner used for paint removal on your 2014?

I've painted at least 1000 cars so I hope it's OK to spray paint my car if needed. Actually just repainted the front fascia on my Scat Pack because some $%%&#le backed into it causing damage under the driver side headlight. BTW, thanks to Oregon Scat for disassembly advise.
The ambient temp was approaching 100F in the shade, and the relative humidity was north of 75%. I was getting punchy from lowered oxygen levels in my blood due to the loss of blood from the mosquitos feasting upon my flesh.

Conditions for manual labor were less than ideal to say the least.

I knew I would damage the OE paint by being as aggressive as I was, but I simply didn’t care. The doosh nozzle that rattle-canned the car had used what looked like a fork to scuff the paint before application anyway, so a repaint was coming regardless.

Did I need to use that much lacquer thinner? Neh, but if going thru 2 extra gallons of it meant I could complete the task 20 minutes sooner, then I was going to buy 3 and double down on the approach.

Now if you really want to talk about how NOT to spray paint a car, let’s try and figure out why the spray can Picasso in question mixed in paste wax with the wet paint.

You read that right, paste wax (Turtle Wax Hard Shell from the color) was slathered onto the car’s surface while the spray paint was still wet.

And if I reveal the dullard in question was paid $50 in advance to begin the job, with a promise of $350 upon completion (which he never got because he disappeared after the initial spray coats), then the origin of “Fifty Dollar F**k Job” should become clear when referencing the original condition of this car when I got it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nuke - Ouch! I feel bad even worrying about what happened to my car seeing that Charger.

Rob - Thanks for the lacquer thinner advice. I'll grab some at the store tomorrow and give that a shot before moving into the glass polishing as
1) I have to order the powder online
2) my research shows it takes 4-6hrs to polish just the windshield

I've attached a few pictures of the overspray and drips on my car, the carved up RT hood decal as well as a photo from the night I picked it up. There's also areas where you can see the car was keyed and the finish wasn't leveled off before painting, so the cut lines in the paint actually have a groove in them you can still see.

I'd spend all night uploading pictures of finish concerns, so I'll stop with what's here. I'll have to try to catch pictures of the smokey looking glass in morning traffic tomorrow.

I'm not looking for pity, just looking to correct what I can and come to terms with what I can't and use the knowledge on this form to know the difference 😉

20200522_205332.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking back I didn't mention the decal. It was carved up when I got the car but somehow it only looked like a small scratch then. It's now separating on the hood, and I'll most likely have to remove the entire decal soon. 😕

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
714 Posts
The ambient temp was approaching 100F in the shade, and the relative humidity was north of 75%. I was getting punchy from lowered oxygen levels in my blood due to the loss of blood from the mosquitos feasting upon my flesh.
OK, now I understand. Texas is a Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine state , Right?

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
714 Posts
Nuke - Ouch! I feel bad even worrying about what happened to my car seeing that Charger.

Rob - Thanks for the lacquer thinner advice. I'll grab some at the store tomorrow and give that a shot before moving into the glass polishing as
1) I have to order the powder online
2) my research shows it takes 4-6hrs to polish just the windshield
The paint on the black plastic is a dead giveaway of very poor paint work. OK to use lacquer thinner on glass and black plastic. Best to get a real painter to look at and advise about the painted surfaces before proceeding. Difficult to tell from photo's but I don't see any clear on the black plastic which makes me wonder what the hell they did and what materials they used. I hope you will keep us updated on your progress. Good luck, nice looking car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts