Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be the first to admit I'm not the most mechanically inclined. This is especially for you guys with the 5-speed autos who mod/tune/race their cars. I'm assuming the vast majority of you have the 3.06 gears that come with autos (as opposed to 3.73 and 3.92). Just how fast can you go with 3.06s and the A5? How much punishment can they take assuming you're adding hp? Can you get a corresponding increase in torque with added hp while using these gears? I know that some program (tune?) does the shifting even with the steering wheel paddles. It seems you would lose some torque with 3.06 gears. Do you make up for it towards the finish line with increased RPM? Can those gears/transmission handle greatly increased torque/hp? After all, they're also on the base model cars.

I don't want this to be a auto guys vs. manual guys thread. I just want to know your experiences with these gears and transmission while modding your car.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
One piece of info that may address some of your questions above is that with the 3.06 axle, you will cross the 1/4 mi mark in 3rd gear in the auto, as opposed to 4th gear in the manual (4th being a taller gear, hence less acceleration). So that part happens to work out pretty good for the auto. The manual needs to either go with a taller axle to do a similar thing in its 3rd gear (which is essentially the strategy done in the Camaro SS) or a substantially shorter axle to put more hp down (higher rpm) in 4th gear on the final leg of the 1/4 mi run.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'll be the first to admit I'm not the most mechanically inclined. This is especially for you guys with the 5-speed autos who mod/tune/race their cars. I'm assuming the vast majority of you have the 3.06 gears that come with autos (as opposed to 3.73 and 3.92). Just how fast can you go with 3.06s and the A5? How much punishment can they take assuming you're adding hp? Can you get a corresponding increase in torque with added hp while using these gears? I know that some program (tune?) does the shifting even with the steering wheel paddles. It seems you would lose some torque with 3.06 gears. Do you make up for it towards the finish line with increased RPM? Can those gears/transmission handle greatly increased torque/hp? After all, they're also on the base model cars.

I don't want this to be a auto guys vs. manual guys thread. I just want to know your experiences with these gears and transmission while modding your car.
From what I've read, and from a couple of friends that have higher horsepower cars, the A5 will tolerate about 500 HP without too many issues. The 3.06 gears are put into the auto cars because with the very low first gear in the transmission, they can drop the ratio without losing any torque at the rear wheels compared to the higher numerically geared manual cars. As far as I know, the rear end on an R/T is the same on a manual as it is on an auto, and the auto is always easier on the rear than a manual, unless the auto is modded.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts