Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into purchasing a nice used R/T, most likely a 6 spd and have a few questions, I have been reading a lot on this board but just need some clarification. First was the STP option available in 09? Do all 6 spd cars have the limited slip dif with 3.90 gearing? Silly question but do stick cars come with cruise? Also I saw in a picture one car had some skinny chrome trim around the tail lights, was that an option or is it an aftermarket add-on? More questions to follow but I have my mind pretty well made up my mind I want a R/T with a 6 speed just looking for the exact right car. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Looking into purchasing a nice used R/T, most likely a 6 spd and have a few questions, I have been reading a lot on this board but just need some clarification. First was the STP option available in 09?
No STP in 09. But back in 09 manual transmissions were optional. They called the option Track pack.

Do all 6 spd cars have the limited slip dif with 3.90 gearing?
No, base 18inch rims get 3.73, 20in rim cars get the 3.92 ratio.

Silly question but do stick cars come with cruise?
Yes...

Also I saw in a picture one car had some skinny chrome trim around the tail lights, was that an option or is it an aftermarket add-on?
Those are stick on, aftermarket.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also what was the horsepower rated for 09? That was the first year with the EAGLE heads correct?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If it has 3.92 gears it is a limited slip. I believe all 5.7 Challengers have the Eagle heads.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Also exactly what all do you get with the STP option?
Many threads on the differences and I tried to compile a list so if anything is wrong hopefully somebody will correct, but basically STP has lower ride height (2012-up), stiffer springs, yellow Bilstein shocks (early Bilsteins were black), quicker steering ratio, higher performance brake pads (thicker for heat resistance?), Goodyear F1's (on some models may order All Seasons Goodyear RSA instead), on 2011-up automatics the ability to turn the ESP traction and stability control OFF, I think a larger rear sway bar (20mm vs 16mm?), hydraulic belt driven power steering pump (early models only, 2014 pump is electric, not sure when this changed).

The STP option requires 20 inch wheels and much to some owner's dismay, does not include the Anti-Spin rear axle. All manual transmission Challengers include AS whether STP or not, but with the automatic, you must order AS even on the STP. The STP package is included as standard equipment on only two Challenger models, the Black Top and the Shaker, it must be ordered and is extra cost on all other R/T models.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Also I saw in a picture one car had some skinny chrome trim around the tail lights, was that an option or is it an aftermarket add-on?
Yeah, it's the T-Rex Polished Tail Light Trim available from sponsor CARID. Thinking about it myself...

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, do the 6 speed manual trans cars have a digital gear position indication on the instruments?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Also, do the 6 speed manual trans cars have a digital gear position indication on the instruments?
I asked the same question when I test drove mine, my first 6-speed. Trust me, it doesn't take long to know instinctively which gear it's in. Easiest manual shift I've ever driven.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I asked the same question when I test drove mine, my first 6-speed. Trust me, it doesn't take long to know instinctively which gear it's in. Easiest manual shift I've ever driven.
Yeah, this is an awesome 6 speed trans, but I have to remember to pull the shift lever to the left when going from 1st to 2nd gear. The ratio's are so tight, I've gone from 1'st to 4th twice since I've had my Blacktop RT. The last standard I drove was a 1970's Datsun 4 speed Z-car. lol

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
...but I have to remember to pull the shift lever to the left when going from 1st to 2nd gear. The ratio's are so tight, I've gone from 1'st to 4th twice since I've had my Blacktop RT.
This might be the factory "skip-shift" kicking in. It is designed to save fuel by forcing a 1-4 shift under certain conditions. If you are just cruising around this is where it will get you, if you get on it a little in first you'll never see it. There are kits to disable it but I'm leaving mine alone and drive around it, it has only bit me once so far.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This might be the factory "skip-shift" kicking in. It is designed to save fuel by forcing a 1-4 shift under certain conditions. If you are just cruising around this is where it will get you, if you get on it a little in first you'll never see it. There are kits to disable it but I'm leaving mine alone and drive around it, it has only bit me once so far.
Dang I didn't even know that! That's just when it happens when I'm just cruising around! I could swear that I'm going to 2nd but it goes to 4th! I even fought with it a few times. lol

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Good thing it's easily defeated. Look for a skip shift eliminator from one of our vendors.

Justin

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Good thing it's easily defeated. Look for a skip shift eliminator from one of our vendors.

Justin
Great advice right there. The damn thing will kick in when you don't expect it, and it could ruin (or just embarrass you) your day.

I wish there was a reminder to tell me to shift to 6th gear. I don't drive on the highway too often and when I do, I keep forgetting to shift to 6th because 70-80 is no problem for 5th.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts