Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now had my R/T Classic 6 speed for 2 1/2 months. I love the look of the car and sound, but I find myself wanting a little more. I originally had planned to purchase an automatic SRT-8 and to use it as my daily driver. This way my wife could drive it occassionally, and I would not get annoyed in traffic with the stick. Well, after reading a lot of threads this car will be my daily driver as I will be selling my winter used Pontiac Grand Prix no matter what I end up doing. Some will be mad at me for saying this, but the brakes on the R/T do not instill confidence at all. I have also noticed a lack of steering response through the wheel the more I drive it. I have the Super Track Pack, which helps rectify this to an extent, but I seem to rememer the SRT-8 feeling more planted and responsive. I also miss those SRT seats as I cannot find an ideal position for my R/T's seats for some reason. In fact, after I drove the SRT and R/T back to back with autos, I had written the R/T off. Then I drove the R/T with 6 speed and bit the bullet. It is still a wonderful car, but I am kicking myself since knowing I could have had the 6.1L SRT-8 for not much more. The 392 obviously is a different animal, but I do not want to spend 45k on a car right now. Therefore, I am left with a decision to make - keep my R/T Classic and do some minor tweaking OR get a used auto 6.1L SRT-8 and leave it alone. I could pick up one with 2k miles right by my house for 33K. I would probably lose about 3K on my R/T because of taxes. I don't care about gas mileage as I get about 18mpg with my R/T right now on premium. The SRT-8 I would imagine 15mpg with the auto due to my mixed driving commute. Anyone switch from a 6 speed to auto R/T to SRT-8? I think a part of me would miss the stick, but it would be nice to let the Mrs. drive once in a awhile. Plus, it is not be as stressful. Sorry for my ramblings. You guys have great insight, so I figured I'd ask. Any former R/T owners go through anything similar, or am I just crazy?

·
Registered
554 Posts
You are going to take a hit if you sell now. On the otherhand if you're not happy then you need to get a car you like and makes you enjoy driving. Personally I love the RT Classic and wish I had gone with it. Do what makes financial sense and gets you what you want.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,020 Posts
I went from a 6 speed R/T to 6 speed SRT. These are my observations. The biggest difference is the brakes. I think the R/T has decent brakes but the SRT has fantastic brakes. I found the seats in the R/T extremely comfortable and I do so in the SRT but they are different (I drove 750 miles one day in the R/T, not more the 200 in the SRT). I can not really tell the difference in the engines (unless you open the hood). The SRT does "feel" tighter in the handling department (My R/T had the 18 inch wheels), however the R/T was the better winter weather car.

You can make your super track pack R/T handle as good if not better then a SRT $500-1000 at most.
Brakes very expensive to bring up to SRT standards
The 6.1 is faster then the 5.7 but not a lot faster in the 1/4 mile however the 6.4 cooks the 6.1 in the 1/4 when I look at peoples postings in the forum.
I am under the impression gas milage is not great on a auto SRT (no MDS) and 15mpg average might be optimistic.

I would wait until fall and see the deal you can cut on a 6.4, if you can't get the deal you want you can always fall back on the 6.1.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,020 Posts
Unless you want to race this summer then get the 6.1 now and as much as love the manual the auto will win the 1/4.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I guess it's normal a given percentage of SE owners wanting R/T's, and R/T owners wanting SRT's.

Frankly I have an R/T Classic and I wouldn't trade it dead even for an SRT. But then I don't race, I rarely push the car to it's limits, I bought the R/T on looks, sound, and a hemi V8 engine with a 6M in a great looking retro muscle car.

To me, the R/T Classic is the best looking Challenger of them all. I guess I'm fortunate to have bought exactly what I wanted, and therefore don't have to look at trading.

Good luck with your trades. Like someone said, you're going to take it in the shorts on your R/T, a lot more than just losing tax money.

·
Registered
834 Posts
You gotta be happy.

I say do it. You'll always bewanting the SRT, so sooner the better.

BTW, I commute with my SRT auto, and it gets better than 15mpg mixed, closer to 17.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,979 Posts
Hey Stealthchallenger... You're not crazy, I had my 2010 Detonator Yellow Classic R/T for about 6 months, it was an auto and I traded it in on a brand new B-5 Blue 2010 SRT8 auto... Took a hit of about $5,000 but it was WORTH it to me!!!! I love the performance and just everything about the SRT8, it filled the need that my R/T was left giving me. The R/T model had MDS, hated it!!!! The SRTB has awesome brakes, I definitely noticed a difference in the engine and the suspension. I put a SRT8 suspension in my R/T but it wasn't still quite right for some reason. Don't get me wrong I think the R/T is an awesome platform and it's tops in the looks dept. It has it nailed on the nostalgic look but I wanted more in performance and didn't want to screw around with upgrading everything. Oh and I got auto trans cause of my daily commutes of stop and go traffic. I still don't want a manual, sure they are fun, for about half an hour but as the day goes on, it wears me down.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Stealthchallenger... You're not crazy, I had my 2010 Detonator Yellow Classic R/T for about 6 months, it was an auto and I traded it in on a brand new B-5 Blue 2010 SRT8 auto... Took a hit of about $5,000 but it was WORTH it to me!!!! I love the performance and just everything about the SRT8, it filled the need that my R/T was left giving me. The R/T model had MDS, hated it!!!! The SRTB has awesome brakes, I definitely noticed a difference in the engine and the suspension. I put a SRT8 suspension in my R/T but it wasn't still quite right for some reason. Don't get me wrong I think the R/T is an awesome platform and it's tops in the looks dept. It has it nailed on the nostalgic look but I wanted more in performance and didn't want to screw around with upgrading everything. Oh and I got auto trans cause of my daily commutes of stop and go. I still don't want a manual, sure they are fun, for about half an hour but as they day goes on, it wears me down.

Thanks for that. I love my car, and you are right. The R/T Classic is probably the best looking one. I think for a big car, the handling is pretty good, and I know the SRT suspension would help more. I am not really into modding since I would rather take that money and put it towards a higher trim level. Mods also don't add much value to the car and sometimes hurt resale value depending on what you've done. I may see how the 2012s stack up, especially the new Header Orange. I said from the beginning I'd buy a 392 if they came out with a better orange. I have built a few 392s online, but they all seem to be hovering between 44-47k sticker depending on the options I want. My car on a trade is worth between 27-31K according to NADA and Blue Book numbers. I paid just over 30K before tax title, license, etc. That would be a huge jump, and I don't know if it would be worth it. I may be better off finding a nice low mileage used 2008-2009 6.1L for about 10K less or around 32-33K. I may go look at one on Thursday to see if my memory is distorted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts