Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I road trip the car to Las Vegas this weekend for the supercross finals , and of course it runs flawless and.looks great on the strip. Anyway, a friend's buddy who is there asks me why don't I sell my 2011 SRT and buy an original(btw he said original, like a 68 hah) so you see what I was dealing with. I just looked at him like he was a just plain goofy and said;" You do realize I just drove from phoenix in a car that is better in every way( looks are subjective of course) in total style and comfort and would blow those classics off the road. I then went back to drinking my brew and laughing inside at some people. :burnout:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Had a semi similar conversation at work at work about why I don't like classic muscle cars (their assumption). I pointed out that I love the classic muscle cars but modern muscle is really nice since you don't have to deal with rusted nuts that refuse to come off, they end up getting over 20 mile to the gallon, is faster than the classic, and handling wise is much better than a stock classic muscle car. Would I like to own a classic again? Sure at some point but if I have to choose one or the other modern muscle works for me.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Yep! They sure don't make them like they used to. Let's see... less fuel mileage, no fuel injection for those first time starts, dim headlights, weak a/c, a compass instead of navigation, bias ply tires, drum brakes, 8 tracks and the list goes on. I'll take my modern muscle car any day. I love the old ones and I enjoy looking at those cars at Carlisle every year or at a car show. I have a ton of respect for the old ones and their owners but I told myself never again would I want the head aches of owning another one.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I got my '09 5.7 R/T after I had my '69 RR & '72 C10 SWB. If I could only have 1 it would be the '69 or '72.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I'll settle for modern muscle that has been mistaken for a classic more times then it has been recognized as a current car.

Cheers!
Brendan

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Sixteen years ago I figured it'd be so cool to sell my Emerald Green 1997 Dodge Neon Sport 2-door, and drive around Seattle in an early 1970s Dodge Dart 2-door Hardtop instead.

I found one, green as well, with only 15,000 original miles and went to check it out. The car was immaculate and absolutely gorgeous.

But the incredibly thin steering wheel provided NO feedback, and I needed to grab onto it just to remain in place because the bouncy bench seat, shaped like a big sand bag, wanted to toss me out the door. The car did not have the optional power brakes so I had to, literally, stand on the hydraulic pedal to get those drums to stop the car.

After a hair-rising, 15-min drive, I got back into my Neon and reappreciated all the progress that had taken place in those interim years.

One of my direct reports, a 22-year old Corolla owner, dreams of a classic 1965 Mustang. I keep encouraging him to drive one just to find out how it is. He will find even a dowdy Corolla has some merit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If I was an expert mechanic (or could afford to hire one full time), with tools, time & money, I'd drive/build only 'classics' - kinda like Jay Leno... since I'm not, I drive a 'modern', safe, reliable factory car.

·
Registered
321 Posts
lol... Key words: "Modern Muscle".... I get that every now an then from peoeple. Why not get the old school... Well If I was in 78' sure but this is 2014...lol

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have had the hot rods. And show cars from back in the day, but that was when I had a garage large enough to have more then 6 cars and was able to have my Hot Rods and also have a modern muscle car . I sold that property/ retired and all my Hot Rods and Show cars and I now I only have my modern Muscle car 2010 SRT Challenger.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
No argument the current muscle cars are more advanced than in 1969 but 40+ years later and at more than 10 times the price they should be. I can't say I would describe driving my 69-70 Pontiacs as a "hair raising experience" except when I purposely made it that by hammering it. Sounds like it is a good thing I didn't go MOPAR until 2009!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If my goal was to just drive it occasionally I would prefer the classic but I don't want to just look at it. You get the best of both worlds with our cars. Almost as sexy as the original car but way better in every other way.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
A classic muscle car is just a hole in your driveway that you pour money into.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you could only have one car and it had to be your daily driver, then the decision is pretty easy. I don't know why your friends friend suggested you sell your car to get an 'original'.

I have a 63 Vette, and it will be the last car I ever sell. They're just a different experience thats every bit as entertaining, but I'm glad I don't have to drive it every day either.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I can look at this topic from both sides, We have a 09-R/T Challenger since new and a 69-Roadrunner 4-Speed with the original motor stroked to 426-Cubes. This is my wifes favorite car to drive even though it has manual steering. Our other classic Mopar is a 71 Challenger ragtop which has 472 cubic inch Hemi with factory disc brakes T-Flite tranny and a 3.23 suregrip rear end that averages around 13 MPG and is really easy to drive. Even with this crummy gas we have to use I really don't have any problems with the carbs. The older muscle is not as big of a problem to keep running correctly as people think if you understand them, but that being said we don't drive them everyday because of what they are and their value. It's just not the same world anymore as the general public buys cars because they need them, but do not love or understand them. I actually had a guy tell me he thought I did a great job of restoring our 09-Challenger that he thought was a AMC Javelin----Yeeeesh!

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
I've got a good friend whose hobby is to "build" some kind of classic car every couple of years. He's got a well established business and has no shortage of $$. In the dozen or so years I've known him he's built a 70 "Cuda" that he sold to Chip Foose (for BIG $$), a 71 Bronco, a 68 Camaro, A 73 Chevy P/U, and a few others. All of them are a sight to behold when he's done with them. I was riding with him one day in the 68 Camaro and he mentioned to me how no matter how much he spends trying to upgrade the classics with modern safety items, noise reduction, comfort, and modern sound systems they just never come close to what we just take for granted on modern cars. They are great for around town or short road trips, but gawd forbid if something breaks. And you can forget comfort.

Roostking......I would have told the guy to go get his own 68 BMW. I've had people tell me "well anyone can go buy a newer Challenger"! My standard responds is "well everyone doesn't, only people with good taste and good sense" ...................... :5:

Reactions: RoostKing and VHFan

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The new cars, while much safer and much easier to drive and enjoy than the old muscle cars, they aren't exactly going to blow the old ones off the road, my 440 powered 69 charger can easily challenge the newer R/T and SRT8's in a straight line, even with skinny tires, borderline brakes, and sloppy steering, they still handled pretty darn well compared to other cars of the era. I got my new challenger because i needed a safe and nice looking car to drive daily, something I just can't do with the 69 charger, as it gets a whopping 6mpg in the city, and 12 to 14mpg on the highway if driven sedately, and if something breaks, it is hard to find the parts and they aren't cheap to replace. I'd rather keep the charger for cruising around and showing off at shows, and doing the occasional burnout to relive yesteryear, but I still want to drive a newer car daily so I don't get overly paranoid parking at lowes or Kmart, and I appreciate getting 22-25mpg on the highway.

However, when the challenger crosses 100k miles, I will very likely sell it, whereas the charger will never be sold, I've owned the charger since 1978, it was my first car, and it will be my last car, I don't care that its increased in value from 800 dollars to over 35000 today, I've torn it down piece by piece, and reassembled almost every part of the car, I know it intimitely, and nothing, repeat nothing can beat the sound of a 440 under full throttle.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That's why I have one of each. After driving the Dart I appreciate the modern convenience of the Challenger more,
but what I miss is the raw feeling of power and sound I get with the Dart.
They are two different beasts that share only one goal...........To put a smile on my face :)

Reactions: vichris

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I like the old and the new both my B5 BLUE challenger is a show car plus if I want to go old school I just get in my superbird its a show car also, I like both worlds.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The older cars had more "character" compared to the new cars, but that's not always a good thing :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts